Help with diagnosing ignition problems
1999 Honda Civic

Help with diagnosing ignition problems

(1999 Honda Civic)
So, i bought this 99 Civic VP model about 5 months ago, and had to replace the alternator. It has been ok since then, but recently i have had problems getting it to start. The symptoms now are, when i turn the key to the ignition position, the radio comes on, but seems to turn on and off over and over by itself, and when i press the brake pedal to start the car, it appears that the entire electrical system in the car turns off. I am a little perplexed at this point, and any help or ideas would be appreciated!
1 answer & 4 comments
on January 05, 2015
Battery dead?.. Car start??
on January 05, 2015
So, no the Battery isn't dead, I checked it with a meter and it was fine. With the key in the 1 position, you can hear the beeps and the interior lights come on fine, the radio will come on, turn off and then come back on, repeatedly. with the key in the 1 or 2 position, either way, if I press the brake pedal, all power in the car turns off.

This seems like a ground to me, or something similar to that. I have a background in marine electric, so I am not foreign to chasing grounds, but before I break out the crappy drawings and start trying to half split it, I thought I would ask around here and see if anyone has had anything like this come up before.
on January 05, 2015
Try a jump start just to see what happens... Battery may read correct voltage while unloaded!!.. Just give it a try.
on January 05, 2015
That got it started.... I will let it run for a hour, then check it again. I jumped the other day, but I am guessing that it didn't get enough of a charge. It sat for 2 weeks without being driven, guess it drained down in that time. Thanks!
Electrical System Diagnosis
$88 - $111 Learn More
on January 05, 2015
Battery dead?.. Car start??

on January 05, 2015

Car cut off, will crank but not turn over.
Was trying to diagnose why my girlfriend's radiator fan wasn't coming on. thought the easiest way would be checking...