Car Questions
RepairPal is your advocate for car care advice and guidance

Fuel problem?

(1990 Buick Century)
in Rock Island, IL on December 07, 2009
just changed starter and battery for 1987 buick century. now the motor turns over but nothing happening is it maybe the fuel regulator or pump or just not getting spark im thinking question is where is the fuel regulator and does the 1987 buick have the access panel under back seat to change the pump or do you have to drop the gas tank?
Displaying 2 answers & 0 comments
Popular Answer
on December 02, 2010
after cranking on the engine for a bit, stop and sniff your tailpipe. if you smell fuel, you have an ignition problem. if not, then it is a fuel injection problem. however, a bad crank sensor can cause both systems to not function. If the computer does not know the engine is turning, it will not fire the plugs or the injectors. when the engine is above a certain RPM value, the computer will switch from the crank sensor to the cam sensor. HTH... Wilson
Sign in to reply
on December 07, 2009
Your first determination should be if you have lost spark or fuel pressure. Once you know that answer you can continue down only one diagnostic path. To answer your two questions, 1) the fuel pressure regulator is located on the fuel injector rail (it has a vacuum line attached to it), 2) there is no access panel for the fuel pump. You must remove the fuel tank in order to replace the fuel pump on your 1990 Buick Century.
Sign in to reply
Get a repair estimate
RepairPal estimates are guaranteed at over 2,000 quality certified locations nationwide.
Or interested in getting a repair? Find a Shop

Similar Questions

View answers to similar questions from RepairPal's community of auto experts and enthusiasts.
My car not start.i full gas ,relay is goodplugs is fire,and when you put gas into it, is start i dont no,mybe enjecto...
I have a 1994 nissan altima with 140k miles on it. it has an intermittent starting problem where it won't turn over w...
Didn't find what you were looking for?