RepairPal is your advocate for car care advice and guidance

Q: convertible top on 1996 Audi Cabriolet

my son just purchased a 96 audi cabriolet convertible, when he purshase, the car he was told that he only needed to replace a relay for the top to function, he has bought relays and fuses but nothing works, when you first start the car you can hear a motor sound coming from the convertible top what could be wrong with it?
Get a Repair Estimate
Guaranteed by certified locations nationwide. Learn more
RepairPal estimates are guaranteed at over 1,700 quality certified locations nationwide. Learn more
I had the top on my wife's 98 Cabriolet stop working last year. It need to have two wire harnesses replaced, along with several relays. The harnesses run along the trunk lid arms and the hard conv. top cover, making them susceptible to breaking and shorting. I had the work done at a dealer - pretty expensive at >$1400. It took them 3 days to figure out all the issues and I had to make them undo some repairs that turned out to be unnecessary.
| |
If your son is mechanically minded or just wants to learn more about his Audi or even repair and service his car he should look on line for the Bently brand workshop manual on CD or paper. There is a company that independent auto repair shops "buy" their information from that offer a very reasonable service to do it yourselvers. You can get a one week subscription or year subscription very cheap. The information is year make and model specific repair procedures, service bulletins, component locations, wiring diagrams ect.... great quality information same as the professionals have ,much better than generic workshop manuals from parts stores, much cheaper than the factory manual try
and get an online repair manual subscription.
The best thing you can do is call around to mechanics and find one that has diagnostic software for Audi. Being an OBDII car, they can basically find any codes that are thrown by the car, down to every sensor on the top (sensors are the most common problem on most tops).
Didn't find what you were looking for?