QUESTIONS

Q: Cigarette Lighter Problem - Disk Protection on 1995 Toyota Camry

Rookie cbe0621eac06868b3efe0d8d1d3611e23c60d3114864ea2ec19a68cfbd3eebab
I have a 1995 Camry XLE, whose cigarette lighter stopped working last night (I was using it to power a 117v Inverter). I checked the fuse, which was OK, then checked power to the cigarette lighter with a voltmeter, which was also OK. I then checked the continuity between the lighter power terminals, and the inside of the lighter, and found an "open" between the terminal for the center pin and the power terminal. When I disassembled the cigarette lighter, I found a metal disk (looks like a washer) which tested "open" which was installed between two parts of the power terminal for the lighter. When I reassembled the lighter without this disk, it works fine! Does anyone know what this disk is and what its purpose is (I assume it is providing some kind of protection)
No car image 94a1663db56199c5353592009e34aaa51078a2469bed068bb8d6f0ba43accf97
Get a Repair Estimate
Guaranteed by certified locations nationwide. Learn more
RepairPal estimates are guaranteed at over 1,700 quality certified locations nationwide. Learn more
It's hard to say without seeing this, but it's there for a reason. These lighter sockets can generate a lot of heat, so it may be a heat sink that absorbs heat to prevent damage to another part in the assembly.