1998 Volkswagen Beetle TDI Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1998 Volkswagen Beetle TDI
- Power Windows Fail More Often Than Manually Operated Window Cranks
- Flasher Relay Failure Can Cause Erratic Turn Signal Operation
- Premature Head Light Bulb Burnout and Bulb Harness Failure is Common
- Inspect Brakes at Every Service as Rear Brakes Wear Out Quickly
- Reverse Gear Failures and Noise in Manual Transmission Models are Common
- my 1998 V.W. automatic, when drive is selected gear starts in 3rd and does not
- The car has 283,000 miles and the engine runs strong. I keep getting the code PO116. Put in a new oem sensor. Still getting the code yet my scanner shows the coolant temp at 30 degrees when it's 190? New Thermostat didn't help!
- How to adjust gears and what could cause the malfunction light to go off and on.
- Engine knocking noise worsens with acceleration
1998 Volkswagen Beetle TDI Problems
One or more power windows may fail. Our technicians tell us this is commonly due to a failed window regulator which will require replacement.
Erratic turn signal operation can be a result of a failing turn signal flasher relay which will require replacement.
One or both head lights may not work due to premature head light bulb burnout and/or bulb harness failure. Care should be taken to inspect the head light harness connector for damage when replacing bulbs. Damaged connectors should be replaced.
1998 Volkswagen Beetle TDI Questions
Car has 283,000 and runs strong. Did the timing belt and new water pump about 7,000 miles ago. What could be causing this problem with the code showing up at random times and only showing 30 degrees when it's hot? It's the OEM green square connector coolant temp sensor that I installed...
I have a '98 VW Beetle TDI manual that is making a loud knocking noise. The noise seems to get louder with acceleration. When I shift gears and the engine winds down the noise continues. I did an oil change on the car and found metal shavings in the oil pan. Someone told me that I would need ...