RepairPal is your advocate for car care advice and guidance

Q: cant get out of park on 2003 Ford Taurus

cant get out of park there is a little box on the brake pedal if i move it a little bit up and down it will come out not sure what the part is called to try and get it fixed
Get a Repair Estimate
Guaranteed by certified locations nationwide. Learn more
RepairPal estimates are guaranteed at over 1,700 quality certified locations nationwide. Learn more
The Napa part # is ECH SL826 cost is about $25 should be available at most auto parts stores.
Sounds like you're talking about the brake switch (sometimes called the "stop lamp switch", or "brake pedal position switch"). It may only need adjustment. Many brake switches are mounted on some kind of threaded shaft and adjusted with jam nuts. The brake switch sends the signal to the brake shift interlock that the brake is pressed, and allows the shifter to move out of 'park'. It also typically activates the brake lights
Didn't find what you were looking for?