Car Questions

Brake problem, suspension problem, or other problem????

(1990 Chevrolet Cavalier)
in Ephrata, PA on February 02, 2018
Go over bump too fast. Car suddenly shakes from 30mph on getting worse the faster. Increase speed and let off, right around 55 I hear a clunking noise for a second. Over a bump, shakes, clunk, gotta be rear shocks, right? Front struts replaced few months ago. Then, go to drive to pick up new shocks and the first time I touch the brakes in lot, the left rear SINKS, bad! When I let of the brake, it pops back up. Doesn't seem to do it when I brake at normal speed though, or its much much less of a squat that I don't notice(Also I being so ginger with it currently, its my only car). Is this the rear shocks? Brakes? Both? Something else?
How long have you had this problem? A week
Tags: brakes, suspension, noidea, chevrolet, cavalier
Displaying 1 answer & 2 comments
on February 02, 2018
Rear end drops when applying brakes at slow speed > classic symptoms of rear brake shoes binding .. Possible brake fluid leaking from wheel cylinder or brake shoes / components failure .. Vehicle shaking after bump is likely related to steering / suspension wear ..

All suggested possibilities will require *hands-on* inspection by qualified personnel.

Good luck with it!
on February 02, 2018
I just found it strange it all happened at once. The back wheels are drums, if I just replaces these as I was going to do new brakes all soon anyway, will this stop the binding?
on February 02, 2018

Yes - I am aware it has rear drum brakes!

Only if the brake shoes - wheel cylinders AND mounting hardware are in perfect working order, as in like NEW condition and brake drums are re-machined or replaced will this problem be eliminated ..

WILL also be more pronounced if primary and secondary brake shoes are installed in wrong position.

These are common problems with ALL *J body* GM vehicles.

Recommend professional ‘hands-on’ guidance - OR - repair.
Get a repair estimate
RepairPal estimates are guaranteed at over 2,000 quality certified locations nationwide.
Or interested in getting a repair? Find a Shop
Video, Step-by-Step Instructions, Parts & Tools List
How to Fix Your Brakes

The car will not go into park . stays in reverse when shift to drive . cannot shift past drive . had to leave key in ...