Close
QUESTIONS

RepairPal is your advocate for car care advice and guidance

Q: Battery Draining Too Fast on 1999 GMC Suburban 1500

Rookie cbe0621eac06868b3efe0d8d1d3611e23c60d3114864ea2ec19a68cfbd3eebab
Over the past year, my Suburban periodically had starting problems (would start, or not, or act like a weak battery). I replaced the battery and the cable ends and all was well for a few months. I drove across the country for 2 days - no problem. Then it started again. It was slowing with each start, and finally was dead and would not even jump start, so I had it towed. They looked at it and did a complete tune-up (said there was cross-firing etc) and it was fine for about six weeks or so. Now, it has slowly been giving me trouble starting, each day becoming a bit harder like the battery was dying - and it did. I had it checked - 10.3V - I charged the battery and all was well for four days, then it started acting as it did the prior two weeks. I put the charger on and after an hour, the battery was up to 12.3V. I started the engine and while running, the voltage is 14.2V. So, it looks like the battery is getting juice to re-charge while running, but it loses charge overnight and does not fully re-charge during the day - finally not being charged enough to start! I drive it ~20 minutes to and 20 minutes from work each day.
Ideas?
No car image 94a1663db56199c5353592009e34aaa51078a2469bed068bb8d6f0ba43accf97
Get a Repair Estimate
Guaranteed by certified locations nationwide. Learn more
RepairPal estimates are guaranteed at over 1,700 quality certified locations nationwide. Learn more
12.3 volts is WAY too low for an hour of charging. A new Battery should charge more than this after an hour on a good charger, it should read at least 12.9-13.1. 12.3 means that your battery is only about 1/2 charged. it also sounds like you may have a drain in your electrical system. First have your electrical system checked for a drain and if one is found you need to have it repaired. Then you can deal with the Battery. I would take that Battery back to who ever sold it to you and have them give you another new Battery.
I measured the resting current with the engine stopped and nothing "on"
It was over 50mA
I removed each fuse to see what made a difference.
Only when both BATT and LIGHTING (each 50A) in the engine fuse box under the hood were removed did the current drop at all - to zero. If either was in place, back up over 50mA.
Not sure where the drain is?
I'm keeping the two fuses out and fully charging the battery (it's at 25% by the charger!)
Any other ideas for now?

***************************************************************************************
The vanity light switch was not turning the light off and the battery was bad (would not hold a charge). Fixing the switch and replacing the battery did the trick!!
Didn't find what you were looking for?