Mercedes-Benz SL500 Problems

Active Body Control System Can Leak Hydraulic Fluid on Mercedes-Benz SL500

Problem Description and Possible Solution

The active body control system can leak fluid from numerous areas, including the tandem pump, hydraulic lines, struts, and/or seals. If it is not repaired, the vehicle ride height could drop too low and cause damage to the undercarriage.

(193 people reported this problem)

Mercedes-Benz SL500 Vehicles With This Problem

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 80,478 (2,000–170,000)
10 model years affected: 1994, 1996, 1998, 2000, more2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006
Not Your Mercedes-Benz SL500 Problem?
Brake problem? Or maybe a faulty head gasket cylinder?
Learn About Your Car Problems
Search For a Specific Car Problem
Viewing 101-111 of 111 comments
The abc light has come on. The dealer is estimating the repair cost at $12,000.

Stay away from this unit at all cost.

In addition, the sbc unit is a problem and repair cost is around $2200.00.
I have a lot of cars but none so difficult and tiring at the same time as good as cl. My favorite cl500 is 2001 and he had a problem with ABC pump so I replaced the new (red ABC car too low and doesnt rise). I replaced it my self.
Leaking ABC PUMP deteriorated air conditioning compressor so i also replaced it myself.
Subsequently leaked to the left front shock absorber, so I poured the liquid against leakage power steering systems and leak stoped.
The car can be driven but the front left shock absorber delayed rise when just start the car.
I will drive more and we will see
gibraltar.nautika@gmail.com
MY ABC PUMP HAS GONE OUT,JUST LAST MONTH I REPLKACED EVERYTHING BUT THE PUMP ...DEALER WANTS $2900.00 JUST FOR PUMP.. I'M DRIVING IT BACK HOME AND FIND...GET ME SOMEBODY LOCAL THAT CAN FIX IT FOR ME ..CHEAPER
One of (3) short lines running under the (firewall on drivers side)from a block is leaking. Tech will clean a recharge system to determine which line/lines are bad. May have to replace all (3) due to fluid saturation. Lines will run about $169.00 ea., fluid (2 liters) bleed system & labor $750.00. Also got quote on ABC pump replacement. Rebuilt from Mercedes, New Pump, Fluid (10 Liters), bleed system & Labor (6 hrs) Ttl - $1,950.00
ON Oct 1 2012,the line blow up,all the fluid leaking out,$1700 to replace the line, stay away from this car
I have spent thousands and it still drops after not driving a day. I am told I need new front shocks- more $$$$
Replace the pump and flush the fluids. Dealer wanted $3700, found an outside mechanic to do it for $2500.
First was front driver site dropping about 3-4 inches. They replaced the valve at about $3500.oo cost. Then a few weeks later, the whole driver site was dropped (front and back). Now they tell me they need to replace the other valve at $3500.00. I am notr sure if it will be fixed.