Mercedes-Benz SL500 Problems

Active Body Control System Can Leak Hydraulic Fluid on Mercedes-Benz SL500

Problem Description and Possible Solution

The active body control system can leak fluid from numerous areas, including the tandem pump, hydraulic lines, struts, and/or seals. If it is not repaired, the vehicle ride height could drop too low and cause damage to the undercarriage.

(193 people reported this problem)

Mercedes-Benz SL500 Vehicles With This Problem

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 80,478 (2,000–170,000)
10 model years affected: 1994, 1996, 1998, 2000, more2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006
Not Your Mercedes-Benz SL500 Problem?
Brake problem? Or maybe a faulty head gasket cylinder?
Learn About Your Car Problems
Search For a Specific Car Problem
Viewing 81-100 of 111 comments
LEAKING FROM abc hydraulic pump,fitting at front shocks/
also hydraulic pulsation dampner noisy
Cost 44450 +TAX
We had just had the ABC system serviced when the body of the car lowered, then stalled at a red light 5 minutes later.
ABC light on, hydraulic fluid in garage, car rides like a '75 Cadillac with bad shocks (floats)... on a good road, actually kinda of a nice ride
Tandem pump leaking. Rebuilt with seal kit from Invasion Auto Products in Hollywood, CA. It was the only place anywhere that I was able to find a seal kit.
Recently bought a used 2005 SL500 with just over 80k miles on it. 6 months and about 10k miles later, it does have some leaking from the front right strut. Having it repaired right now. No noticeable sagging, but was advised if the strut is not replaced soon, can damage the ABC which is far more costly. Hoping to have addressed it all in time. Repair cost is around $1500.
Initially replaced right front strut at 98,000 miles. Left strut replaced at 110,00 miles. Multi flex pump failed 250 miles later. Informed that fluid contamination occurred during second strut replacement which caused flex pump failure.
The vehicle start leaning to the rear left side everytime it was parked for a period of time. Now the vehicle system is completely shot. Please MB get rid of this system or put a lifetime warranty on the system. Very poor design with costly repairs.
The ride height lowered causing the ABC sensor to come on. Pump failure and a bad suspension strut. Total bill was $3600.00. The car had 42,000 miles. Garaged and maintained continuously. The pump still failed and the strut required replacement.
I noticed the car drop on test drive, but didn't think much of it... oh dopey me. After a couple of days of ownership, noticed the car would sink below ride height overnight. Car would raise above ride height when put in reverse. During driving, especially at stop lights, a very noticeable front in drop. Took car to mechanic who stated the ABC sensors needed to be replace. Took car to MB dealer, who replaced front strut ($1600). The car doesn't sink overnight, but nose drop problem still exists. Now they want to replace the ABC sensors for $1200. Most movement happens when vehicle is put in reverse.
not fixed yet. seems that it should last longer than 22000 miles garaged driven less than 2000 miles a year
after parking the car for a longer time than 2 weeks, the complete left side of the car drops down to bottom out. after starting the car and pusk the ride height button, it turns to normal, until parked for a longer time again.
The abc light came on and I was told I need a new pump at a cost of $2700. Just had the transmission valve replace at a cost of $1600. Any relationship?
I bought my 2002 MB S55 AMG when it had only 46,000 miles on it. When I would idle either parked or with my foot on the brake for more than about 5 minutes, the car would "squat" at all four wheels. I took it in since it was still under warranty. They said it had a leak and that they fixed it. Well, it never was fixed. I really did not notice it until it was out of warranty. I lived with it for at least 6 years, but now starting about 2 years ago, the light starting coming on, then it started coming on in red, telling me to stop the car because it is too low. I have had this car in to three different shops, first one of which was the MB dealer. No one really knows what to do. I have spent about $7,000 trying to fix it, but it still is not fixed. I don't know what to do other than to get rid of the car and get another one. This is my fourth MB. Never really had any major issues with any of the other three (560SEL is the bomb, BTW. best one of them all). I don't know whether or not to get another MB, although I like the S65. Anyone have any answers on this crazy suspension system? Can it be replaced with the "normal" MB suspension?