Mercedes-Benz SL500 Problems

Active Body Control System Can Leak Hydraulic Fluid on Mercedes-Benz SL500

Problem Description and Possible Solution

The active body control system can leak fluid from numerous areas, including the tandem pump, hydraulic lines, struts, and/or seals. If it is not repaired, the vehicle ride height could drop too low and cause damage to the undercarriage.

(192 people reported this problem)

Mercedes-Benz SL500 Vehicles With This Problem

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 80,478 (2,000–170,000)
10 model years affected: 1994, 1996, 1998, 2000, more2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006
Not Your Mercedes-Benz SL500 Problem?
Brake problem? Or maybe a faulty head gasket cylinder?
Learn About Your Car Problems
Search For a Specific Car Problem
Viewing 61-80 of 111 comments
Car would drop too low and not raise, on either side or right or left from side. Particularly on right front side.
ABC started. Leaking oil, I have taken to two d o fferent mechanich a th a cost of over 2grand wont hold oil and and the level gone too low, I am still driving the car but O fill the power stieing
steering with oil everytime could u please g uide me to cheapest way to fix a who to take in my area of lomalinda.
Going to try a system flush and filter replacement. hopefully this does the trick. mechanic telling me $4000 to replace pump.
I have the same problem was driving my car and the ABC light came on and basically said don't drive the car to low
took the car into the shop $3200 to fix the leaky hydraulic system. Is that the part is so expensive for the labor?
We just bought this car from a private owner and he made it sound like this was normal. Infuriates me that this is a leak....we test drove it and was in park for about 10 mins and all of a sudden the car dropped, mostly on the driver side it was felt. Wish I would've known this was NOT normal. Good to know now, one more expensive fix for this car!
Yes numerous failures and pump replaced twice. Not a good experience! Pump replacement is a $2,000 price tag.
Has not been fixed yet. This is the third time it has leaked, not sure what is the problem this time YET!
Sudden drop in rear suspension . As if no shocks or suspension Limped back like driving buck board. Crazy bad feeling
The ABC main pressure hose leaked out all of the fluid. Needed to be replaced. It cost me $1600