Maga - firstname.lastname@example.org Drove my car half day. Parked when attempting to start it won start. Power ok but does not crank. Opened fuse box and noticed fuel pump fuse blown. Replaced with spare 10a fuse car started however immediately started smoking from fuse box area. Had to dosconnect battery terminal. Could it be problem with fuel pump? or problem with starter motor?
Z3 1997 wont crank wont start on 1997 BMW Z3
by Maga M in Calera, AL on October 27, 2010
2 answers 1 comment
ANSWER by mastertech6371 on October 27, 2010
are you sure you did not put a bigger fuse in the fuse box?? it sounds like there is damage to the box, wiring and whatever cause the fuse to blow. you need a shop that can tackle this task. wont be cheap Roy
ANSWER by patrick mannion on October 27, 2010
Wow yes sounds like something on that fuel pump circuit is drawing too much current, the fuse is rated at 10 amps may only protect the fuel pump relay circuit as the fuel pump its self would draw about 4 to 6 amps. You would need to see what else is on that circuit, I think it was some Volvos had the O2 sensor heater on the same circuit, if the O2 heater shorted out the fuel pump lost power. If you are mechanically inclined and are used to reading wiring diagrams, Autozone have some popular workshop manuals for free on line once you register (for free) on their website http://bit.ly/autozone_repair_info or there is a company that independent auto repair shops "buy" their information from that offer a very reasonable service to do it yourselvers. You can get a one week subscription or year subscription very cheap. The information is year make and model specific repair procedures, service bulletins, component locations, wiring diagrams ect.... great quality information same as the professionals have ,much better than generic workshop manuals from parts stores, much cheaper than the factory manual try http://bit.ly/mitchell_repair_manuals_online and get an online repair manual subscription.
COMMENT by Maga M on January 17, 2011
thanks for advice - a rodent had eaten insulated cable which short circuited the system. Thing is i had not driven the car for 6 months...