2000 Chevy Impala LS. When I turn the ignition switch to crank, I hear some electrical device contact chattering, the engine does not crank and the electrical system immediately goes dead, no lights, horn, turn signals, not anything.
After a few minutes the electrical system revives fully until I try to crank the engine again and the same thing happens. Seems like a short circuit somewhere. The temperatures have been in the teens and 20s lately. Mabye temperature related? I checked all of the fuses under the hood, all OK.
I have the front up on blocks ready to drop the starter, but thought I should get some other opinions first.
I checked the battery and the alternator when I could still get it started. The battery is marginal, the alternator output is good, the battery terminals are clean.
I just went outside to try to start it one more time before sending this email. Guess what, it started 10 times in a row. I really need some help.