I just purchased a 1997 Ford Escort Wagon with a 4cylinder 2.0 litre engine in it and I can't get this thing to stay at an idle. There was a problem that I found out after I purchased it, and that being the car sat for 2 yrs, because the people I bought it from said the motor was locked up,which I couldn't get it to turn with a socket on the crankshaft and they thought that the timing belt was broke. I repaired the ground wire that was corroded, took the timing cover off, found that the timing belt was in good shape, but loose, got the engine to free up reset the timing and tightened the belt. I replaced the spark pugs, checked the resistance on the wires, and checked for a broken or bad vacuum line. Any help would be appreciated.
won't idle on 1997 Ford Escort
Asked by for the 1997 Ford Escort
MOST POPULAR ANSWER by lawrenceg ,
September 08, 2009
You'll need to make sure you have good gas, and no water in the gas. Make sure all the vacuum hoses and intake manifold gaskets are not leaking. Clean the idle valve and make sure it is working. It might not be a bad idea to perform a compression check too.
Verified for the Ford Escort163 reports
1 answerAugust 03, 2011
3 answersMarch 16, 2017
1 answerNovember 15, 2010
1 answerNovember 11, 2010
This week's top 10
Recent Ford Escort Questions
- My radio does not work. I replaced it and it still doesn't work. The fuse is OK
- car will not turn over. good battery and alternator.
- The car starts fine when cold but after it warms up it I have trouble starting
- Replaced timing belt. Car turns over & has spark but won't start. Why?
- Front driver tire has excessive inner wear?
1997 Ford Escort Estimates
- Brake Drum Replacement ($374 - $512) in Talmage, CA
- Catalytic Converter Replacement ($495 - $1,516) in Addis, LA
- Engine Overheating Diagnosis ($88 - $111) in Summerville, OR
- Valve Cover Gasket Replacement ($109 - $189) in East Bloomfield, NY
- Suspension Control Arm Bushings Replacement ($172 - $196) in Branch, LA
- Engine Leak Inspection ($88 - $111) in Oradell, NJ