Why won't my car start? It is not a battery problem. Ignition key turns smooth on 1999 Volkswagen Cabrio

I think that it could possibly have something to do with a part in the shift. Could it be caused by a faulty electro magnet? If not what could it be. When the key is turned no sound is made. I have removed the shift cover assembly and have been able to start it by fiddling with the electro magnet but it does not start up 100% by doing this. I only wish you guys would be local to me. Thanks for any/all suggestions.

by in New Iberia, LA on February 04, 2014
3 answers 2 comments
ANSWER by on February 04, 2014
is it standard or auto
1 person likes thisFlag inappropiate
COMMENT by on February 04, 2014
It is an automatic. I have tried starting it in neutral and also wiggling the shift to make sure that is totally engaged into park.
ANSWER by on February 04, 2014
Have you tried starting it in neutral? Wiggling shifter also may help? I assume it is an automatic trans. If you get it started, take it to the shop and get the 'neutral safety switch' checked. It may just need adjusting.
1 person likes thisFlag inappropiate
COMMENT by on February 04, 2014
I have tried starting it in neutral and also tried wiggling the shift to make sure that it is totally engaged. Is the neutral safety switch lock located on the shift column? It is an automatic.
ANSWER by on February 05, 2014
Test for signal to starter solenoid when key turned to 'crank' position. Work backwards from there. System schematic and description would be really helpful to avoid guesswork and unnecessary parts replacement.
1 person likes thisFlag inappropiateReply