For a few weeks, I was getting a gearbox fault. And when the fault occurred the car immediately went into limp mode. It would accelerate at a speed of 10 miles per hour while in drive. When I pressed the accelerator, that did not change anything. So I would turn the car off, wait 3 minutes, turn the car back on and it would be fine. Four days after my last gearbox fault, I started the car, and proceeded to reverse the car, I reversed the car out of my drive way and it automatically went into neutral by the time i reached the end of my drive way. I kept trying to reverse the car, but it would not move in reverse. The shifter can shift to reverse but when given gas, the car remains in neutral when in reverse. The other forward gears work just fine. I called my local Jaguar dealership, and they said if there is no visible tranny leaks, then the tranny needs to be replaced for $9K which is more than the car is worth. I had my local mechanic look at it, and he stated he cannot access the transmission to even check for low fluid, and that the car needed to be repaired by the Jag dealer.
Why is my car no longer able to reverse? on 2004 Jaguar S-Type
This week's top 10
Recent Jaguar S-Type Questions
- When driving and stopped or taking a corner slow the car cut off even backing up
- What could be the problem if all back break lights go out @ the same time?
- My car won't go in drive, would like to know what could it be?
- Press G-pedal car in motion gives a whistling noise. Foot of pedal noise stops.
- Thinking about purchasing. Wants only $3500. What should I look for? 133k miles.