Bought used 4 mos. ago from private dealer. Didn't start having problems until 3 mos. ago with hard start up. Engine cranks but won't catch for a few seconds 7 out of 10 x's. Engine stalling began about 2 months ago, 3 out of 10 x's. Will start right back up. Replaced alternator & battery
Why do I have a hard start up and unexpected stalling? on 1997 Ford Escort
Asked by for the 1997 Ford Escort
MOST POPULAR ANSWER by Lightknight ,
June 21, 2013
Do you have good spark plugs and correctly gaped?
This week's top 10
Recent Ford Escort Questions
- My radio does not work. I replaced it and it still doesn't work. The fuse is OK
- car will not turn over. good battery and alternator.
- The car starts fine when cold but after it warms up it I have trouble starting
- Replaced timing belt. Car turns over & has spark but won't start. Why?
- Front driver tire has excessive inner wear?
1997 Ford Escort Estimates
- Ball Joint Replacement - Lower ($88 - $182) in Talmage, CA
- Timing Belt Replacement ($256 - $330) in Addis, LA
- ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement ($280 - $359) in Summerville, OR
- Exhaust Manifold Gasket Replacement ($241 - $305) in East Bloomfield, NY
- Stabilizer Bar Link Kit Replacement ($86 - $111) in Branch, LA
- Engine Oil Pan Gasket Replacement ($225 - $364) in Oradell, NJ