whom can i go to (other than the dodge dealer) to fix a fuel evap leak? on 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan

i have a check engine light on and now a gas-like smell in the interior of the car. however, i have had bad experiences with the local dodge dealers and would like to go to another mechanic. the local mechanics suggested that only the dealers do the smoke test. is this true, or are there private mechanics (reputable) who do this as well?