What is the push button 4wd buttons plugged into? on 2002 Chevrolet S10

Took my dash out to install a stereo, the wires that go to the 4wd were keeping me from taking the dash off completely. Before I could unhook it, the black box came in half and some parts went flying out of it. I put it back together as best I could but now the 4wd doesn't work. What is this box called? and what does it do? Thanks

by in West Fargo, ND on December 11, 2013
2 answers
ANSWER by , December 11, 2013
That black box is part of the switch assembly itself best i can figure. As for 'now', you now need a new switch assembly! All you have to do is simply unplug this switch! Where the wires go is not relevant to what you are doing.
ANSWER by , December 11, 2013
It's the transfer case shift control switch. It plugs into the transfer case shift control module. It's mounted under the right kick panel.