Car working fine all week. Turns over fine. Tried to shift out of parking lot and shifter made LOUD grinding noise with any gear I tried to put it in. I turned the car off. Pumped the clutch, turned back on, tried shifting and same problem. I also got a lot of resistance when trying to put it into gear; like something was blocking the stick. same grinding noise occurred no matter what gear I eventually got it in so I put in back to neutral right away. I turned the car off and tried switching gears while car was off and had no problems going from gear to gear while off. New battery. turns over fine. I'm thinking the stick shift has gone?
what does grinding noise from shifter mean when you try to shift from neutral? on 1994 Ford Escort
Asked by for the 1994 Ford Escort
This week's top 10
Recent Ford Escort Questions
- My radio does not work. I replaced it and it still doesn't work. The fuse is OK
- car will not turn over. good battery and alternator.
- The car starts fine when cold but after it warms up it I have trouble starting
- Replaced timing belt. Car turns over & has spark but won't start. Why?
- Front driver tire has excessive inner wear?
1994 Ford Escort Estimates
- Exhaust Manifold Gasket Replacement ($241 - $305) in Hazel, KY
- Radiator Hose Replacement ($142 - $191) in Swampscott, MA
- Radiator Replacement ($358 - $471) in Mill Creek, PA
- AC Condenser Replacement ($402 - $507) in Butler, KY
- Emergency Brake Cable Replacement ($149 - $175) in Guayanilla, PR
- Exhaust Muffler Replacement ($268 - $363) in Walkerton, IN