Car working fine all week. Turns over fine. Tried to shift out of parking lot and shifter made LOUD grinding noise with any gear I tried to put it in. I turned the car off. Pumped the clutch, turned back on, tried shifting and same problem. I also got a lot of resistance when trying to put it into gear; like something was blocking the stick. same grinding noise occurred no matter what gear I eventually got it in so I put in back to neutral right away. I turned the car off and tried switching gears while car was off and had no problems going from gear to gear while off. New battery. turns over fine. I'm thinking the stick shift has gone?
what does grinding noise from shifter mean when you try to shift from neutral? on 1994 Ford Escort
This week's top 10
Recent Ford Escort Questions
- What is wrong when a fuse blows and melts the wire behind the fuse box?
- Why wont my car start when it has a new battery only 3 months old
- 1999 Ford escort has problems starting at times have to push on gas rev thn strt
- Sitting at light and car will idle high. Changes gaskets, control module.
- zx2 wont get fuel. What could be problem?
1994 Ford Escort Estimates
- Brake Shoe Replacement ($187 - 248) in Hazel, KY
- 130,000 Mile Service ($115 - 171) in Swampscott, MA
- Power Steering Pressure Hose Replacement ($221 - 369) in Mill Creek, PA
- Headlamp Bulb Replacement ($44 - 60) in Butler, KY
- Drive Belt Tensioner Replacement ($118 - 214) in Guayanilla, PR
- Stabilizer Bushing Replacement ($79 - 97) in Walkerton, IN