What could be the problem with my car? Transmission? Torque converter? .... on 1995 Honda Civic

I start my car and it drives for about 1/2 a mile and then it stops and it does when I push on the gas pedal is it only revs. I turn it off for a couple minutes and it does the same thing again. What could the problem be??

by in Herndon, VA on November 14, 2013
2 answers 2 comments
ANSWER by on November 14, 2013
ANSWER by on November 14, 2013
Do you hear an annoying high pitched metallic whine ? If so , the pump failed , probably time for a trans. The fluid level is correct , right? (checked after warmed up on LEVEL ground -engine OFF)
COMMENT by on November 15, 2013
No there is no whining noise. Yes the levels are correct. But if it was my transmission I wouldn't be able to drive the car or even put it gear right?
COMMENT by on November 15, 2013
IF it acts normal for the first few minutes (until it warms up)and then it will not move , but the engine is running , it sure sounds like a trans problem. Are you checking the fluid level with the engine OFF? Does the 'D' light flash at any time , or is the check engine light on?
I have an 2003 Civic, and when I brake to a complete stop my car shudders a little but doesnt cut off. I have 114,000 miles. Any ideas?