What could be the problem with my car? Transmission? Torque converter? .... on 1995 Honda Civic

I start my car and it drives for about 1/2 a mile and then it stops and it does when I push on the gas pedal is it only revs. I turn it off for a couple minutes and it does the same thing again. What could the problem be??

by in Herndon, VA on November 14, 2013
Get Your Car Fixed at a RepairPal Certified Shop.
We certify shops based on expertise, quality work, and verified customer reviews
2 answers 2 comments
ANSWER by , November 14, 2013
SEEK A FREE DIAG AND EST FROM AAAMCO THEN SHOP PRICES
ANSWER by , November 14, 2013
Do you hear an annoying high pitched metallic whine ? If so , the pump failed , probably time for a trans. The fluid level is correct , right? (checked after warmed up on LEVEL ground -engine OFF)
COMMENT by , November 15, 2013
No there is no whining noise. Yes the levels are correct. But if it was my transmission I wouldn't be able to drive the car or even put it gear right?
COMMENT by , November 15, 2013
IF it acts normal for the first few minutes (until it warms up)and then it will not move , but the engine is running , it sure sounds like a trans problem. Are you checking the fluid level with the engine OFF? Does the 'D' light flash at any time , or is the check engine light on?