What can fix this transmission problem? on 1996 Cadillac DeVille

I just got a car that has transmission problems with 135k on the car. If you put into (D) Drive, the transmission will quit engaging at around 45 mph. If I shift to gear position 3,2,1 the transmission seems to function normally. I have been told that the transmission needs to be replaced, but I am skeptical. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

by in Roseburg, OR on December 05, 2012
2 answers 2 comments
ANSWER by on December 05, 2012
seek diagnostic at Aamco transmission
COMMENT by on December 05, 2012
Not the answer I am looking for...Thanks!
COMMENT by on December 06, 2012
Why pity? Your transmission is not engaging at higher speeds, if your fluid level is o.k....your transmission is bad.
ANSWER by on December 21, 2013
Check for trouble codes.If you have PO717 code (input speed sensor)you will not get you'r 4th gear.You do not have to pull the trans. Lower the engine/trans. cradle just far enough to get the side pan off through the left front wheel well.after removing the pan you will see the sensor /wires when replacing it you should get the distance specs between the contacts.Any way its a lot less expensive then removing the engine and tranny. Good Luck JRHardy
The torque converter clutch (TTC) may stop working due to an internal transmission failure. The Check Engine Light will illuminate if this occurs. Our technicians tell us the transmission will requ...
I have a 98 Cadillac Deville with a Northstar motor. It has been running hot. I changed the thermostat, and water pump but it is still running hot. My check engine light is on and these are the cod...
the transmission shift linkage broke into today. the metal linkage piece broke in half. if i have to get that piece fixed how much will that cost me. can i fix it myself or do i have to go somewher...
Had my car for 2 weeks. Someone backed into my front 4 times. Now the start wont start at all and is leaking a fluid. Do you what needs to be fixed?