The car was running fine. No engine lights, no major problems. About a month ago the car was overheating, i took it to a shop and was told i needed a new water pump from a visual inspection. i saw the antifreeze was low. i replenished the antifreeze and had to replace it again immediately, so i did. the reservoir then stayed full. I drove the car without any problems until the holiday weekend. i drove 300 miles to my parents with no problems. on the way home from the visit the car engien started knocking. I pulled over, the car was not over heating, the temp. guage hand was a little high, but not over the half way point. I checked the oil and the coolant. They both were ok. i waited 40 minutes before i started back on the highway, within 10 minutes of getting on the highway my steering locked up, and the car shut down. i got to the side of the road, and the car would not restart. it would sound as if it wanted to, but didn't. looking under the hood, i couldn't see any obvious problems, broken belts, low fluids, or oil leakage. Could this been caused by a bad water pump?
water pump on 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Asked by for the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Verified for the Pontiac Grand Prix38 reports
Verified for the Pontiac Grand Prix7 reports
1 answerMarch 28, 2011
2 answersFebruary 16, 2011
1 answerOctober 23, 2010
This week's top 10
Recent Pontiac Grand Prix Questions
- can my automatic starter affect my ecm I am being told that I need a engine com
- Does the airbag have to be on the steering wheel before car will run?
- Where is the thermostat located?
- I just purchased a used 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix and after driving for bout 20min
- Why does my brakes need major pressure pushing on the pedal?
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix Estimates
- Timing Belt Replacement ($487 - $609) in Downey, ID
- Head Gasket Replacement ($1,323 - $1,784) in Vanceburg, KY
- Brake Pad Replacement, Resurface Rotors ($245 - $357) in Bosler, WY
- AC Condenser Replacement ($505 - $671) in Bedminster, PA
- Steering Knuckle Replacement ($950 - $1,016) in Suffolk, VA
- Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement ($140 - $200) in Rio, WI