Volvo XC70 Reviews

Volvo XC70 Reviews and Owner Comments

Had just about every repair and service known done over past four years, thus far to Sept, 2015 for this 2003 XC70, but not needed [as yet] repair/replace transmission nor AWD drive mechanisms nor engine itself other than replaced all engine mounts, nor exhaust system as yet. Have 75,600 miles on a now 13 year old vehicle. In the last four years [Sept 2011 to date] have paid $20,000 for service, maintenance and repairs, not counting a new fuel pump that was a factory paid for defect repair. Largest problems have been electrical, incl. replacing the $2,500 computer module, fan, alternator, three batteries, various other computer modules, brake master components, and all new suspension, all parts front and back, sans the coil springs themselves. I figure, next, will be a $4,000 to $5,000 new transmission, perhaps tomorrow, or perhaps in next 50,000 miles ...??? And yet the vehicle gets no off road use nor abuse, just travel from Manhattan to paved road suburbs largely only on weekends with the greatest historical trips to Pennsylvania and Massachusetts. And has always been parked in a heated garage. Go figure? Right now, looking to replace the awful headlights that always gave poor lighting, a design flaw in 2003, as my shop, that customizes in repair, service and restoration of hi-end vehicles, incl. Rolls Royce, as well as the mundane, is looking into HIDs for me. I'd say the the problems with the vehicle have been and are a combination of age related and very poorly designed and engineered components that do NOT stand the vigors of Volvo's advertising nor test of time, the vehicle being nowhere as reliable as any even low end Japanese brand auto, though I do not criticize Volvo safety but have yet to be in an accident with the vehicle. So the answer is simply to drive any Volvo only for life of the full bumper to bumper warranty, whether own or lease, though of course you'd be taking the largest depreciation hit when new unless take out the best bumper to bumper extended Volvo warranty and keep longer, though the warranty can be costly. Or just buy any Toyota or Honda manufactured brand if you want little to no out-of-pocket repairs and the finest quality engineering and manufacture.
Great car, but don't buy it to save money. Get one and keep your Corolla or Civic for when gas goes up and for when its in the shop..-Gordon
At 140,000 miles the transmission was shifting hard in the first 3 gears and sometime going into a neutral position when going from reverse to Drive and visa-versa. I had quotes from 1800.00 to 2500.00 for a rebuild and up to $4000.00 for a new trans from Sweden. I had purchased a vehicle protection plan and they ended up covering this repair (took nearly 3 weeks though). Only reimbursed $35 a day for rental car. Cost me an extra $10/day with required coverage. They opted to put a used trans and trans-axle from a wreaked XC70. So far so good. This Protection plan cost me $2600. Presently I'm trying to simply replace some light bulbs and window washer pump motor, which is not covered. The license plate light burned out and that was simple to replace. 1 screw for each lens, pull lens down and then pull back to slide grip plate out of it's socket. Pull bulb straight out and insert new. Reverse assembly. A much more difficult task is to replace the front side marker lights. On the 2006, unless you have very small and strong hands, you must remove the air filter box on driver side and window washer filler tube on passenger side. Both socket turn toward the rear of car for removal. Removal to the wiper juice motor is proving to be a real pain. Anyone have experience with this? All the best, Steve Good luck.
This is our 3rd Volvo. I have been very happy with all 3. This one has something going on I don't understand. Initially, I noticed a howling - building up the wooooooo sound is about all I can say, that seemed associated with wet roads for some reason. No engine lights, no warning lights, and not all the time. The other day it did it just driving on dry pavement, wooooooooo continuously until you slow down - pretty much around 50 or more. It didn't do it again when speed was regained. Now I have a check engine light, no wooooo and it is not running bad. I went to the local Autozone, put it on their computer and get a note about air - somewhere it could have a vacuum line cracked or leaking, bad sensor, not enough air, something like that. Heck, i can't find but two vacuum lines even with the map on the bottom of the hood. If I hold down the trip odometer with the switch in the first position, I get a code of 042. Any ideas?
This is, quite simply, the best Volvo we've ever owned. We've had several over the years including V70, 740, 760, + more. The car gets excellent gas mileage for a car of this size and weight. We really like the design and the handling of the car as well as the paint color and durability. Ours has 45,000 miles and still looks like it's brand new (2007.) We plan on keeping this car for some time and really enjoy it. Only problem we've even had so far was a minor issue with the park assist sensor that shuts down the AM radio.
2 speakers replaced, driver side , pax side after one year, window washer system + tank complet new installed,after 2 yrs. 30,000 miles Service $ 720...+ tax ???
I love my XC 70. It will cruise at a 100+.................. Tons of Brakes............ Drift when necessary....... Looks Slow!
Got the XC70 for my wife. This replaces her old 1999 V70. We bought it used (only 1 year old) and so far its been great! I had a tail light randomly go out but that was a quick fix. The engine is pretty good but feels sluggish because the car is a tad heavy. It could get better gas mileage but I guess that's fine since gas is cheap again (for now). Haven't needed an major repairs but the car is young.