Reviews for Volvo V70 years:

Volvo V70 Reviews and Owner Comments

Volvo V70Owner Reviews (22 reviews)
    Visitor, Tacoma, WA, July 09, 2013 13:07
    I have really enjoyed the drive and feel for my Volovo v70 but im having issues with my speedometer the needle is showing much faster speed to the actual speed the car is doing for example im driving 30mph and the needle on speedometer is showing 40mph/50mph which is worrying I don't no if I have to recalibrate the speedometer if so could anyone tell me how to recalibrate I have took my car the Volvo v70 to the mechanics to get it checked over and was a waste of time did not no what the problem was and told me to buy a new speed sensor which has been installed and still nothing it has also had brand new disc's, shoes, pads and backing plates I just don't no what else to do to fix my speedometer any help will be much appreciated.
  • 2008 Volvo V70
    v70florida, Marianna, FL, April 20, 2013 10:14
    I bought this car used as is from a dealer with 79,000 miles on it. It is a 2008 model so I figured i could get another 70,000 miles from this car. I normally purchase new and keep a car 10 years but this was such a good deal I could not pass it up. It had been on the lot for over 90 days and dealer wanted it sold.They said few people wanted wagons. It was loaded and i got it for about 8,ooo less than a comparable SUV. With all that said, we love the car, its ride, handling, interior appointments, radio sound, and the seats. Mechanic said it was in good condition. I am hoping nothing major goes wrong, but I know this car has to be maintained properly. I get concerned reading all the problems on the web but this seems to be true about alot of cars, domestic and foreign. Volvos are rare where we live so it is nice to have something different from everybody else. Its ruby red and after I waxed and detailed it I get stairs and second glances around town. Its styling still looks current, not dated at all. If you like wagons with comfort and styling , I think you would like this one. I think Volvo has improved the quaility and reliability of these newer models, having worked out the bugs in earlier models.
  • 2007 Volvo V70
    Visitor, Columbia, SC, April 04, 2013 10:39
    Have owned this car for 3 years. It replaced same model V 70, 2001 after being hit by a drunk driver. Car has performed with excellence. Have followed prescribed routine maintenance and have a had very few issues with this particular car. It was a certified used car at the time of purchase from a Volvo dealer. The dealership has done most of the maintenance. It drives well, is comfortable for the average size person and its cargo capacity is very adequate. Sun roof is starting to rattle but works fine otherwise. I only mention that because the first Volvo V 70 2001 the sunroof shattered unexpectedly after I had brought a similar rattle sound to the dealers attention. I had an appointment to have it checked when it shattered after closing a door and tail gate at the same time. I am happy with my current Volvo and purchased it because I believe the 2001 Volvo saved my daughter’s life in the crash with the drunk driver. When I will replace my car it will be with another Volvo!
  • 2005 Volvo V70
    Visitor, New Holland, PA, October 27, 2012 04:35
    125,000 miles on the clock and in that time only had to replace 2 lightbulbs and the battery (all normal wear and tear). Best car I've ever had, and we do put it through it's paces with some very long drives. No problems whatsoever.
  • 2003 Volvo V70
    Visitor, Mount Vernon, NY, March 19, 2012 15:57
    Our 2003 V-70 wagon was acquired new via lease in 11/2002; purchased at end of lease. Now we have 114,000 'original owner' miles primarily serviced at the selling Volvo dealer. Dealer maintenance is not cheap, but it is professional and consistent. The car itself is extremely reliable, solid, dependable, versatile, comfortable and stylish. On a 200 mile highway trip, I average 32 mpg. In heavy city traffic, I average 21 mpg. I never kept a prior auto longer than 4 years. I don’t know if I will ever be able to part with this vehicle.
    baadog, Atlanta, GA, February 24, 2011 08:35
    I own a 1998 V70 AWD turbo. This is a awesome car; does everything well. Nicely styled in and out. Extremely quick, handles like a sports car, stops as quickly as it goes forward, very comfortable on day-long road trips, very composed in emergency/panic situations (it provides the handling/control necessary to avoid accidents; the first step of this car's safety systems). If the worst happens, driver/passenger injury will be minimized or avoided due to numerous safety systems. For me, this car does it all. Now, all of this safety/performance does require proper maintenance to keep all of it's design functions operating as Volvo intended. You cannot expect to maintain this car like a Chevy. It's reliability, safety and performance come at a price. You must follow the maintenance requirements/schedules and have repairs/service done by people who really know these cars and give a damn about their work. A few examples: head gasket failure will occur if the coolant is not replaced as required and the proper coolant is used (it must be the yellow/Prestone type; not the green or some other one, and it needs to be mixed 50/50 with distilled water, not tap water). How many Volvo owners neglect this and then blame the car when trouble happens. You must use Volvo quality brake parts not Chinese cheap crap to maintain the high-level of braking performance. The rear Nivomat shocks are very expensive but are part of Volvo's safety and will eventually need to be replaced at some point; knowing when this point has come and not neglecting it because of the cost is how you stay safe. When it comes to tires and balancing/alignment; again, no skimping here; Chinese junk tires are out, only high performance major manufacturer tires up to Volvo's requirements. Another important one; the engine's PCV system needs to be serviced at 100,000 miles; this requires removing the intake manifold and changing out the catch tank and all of the rubber/plastic hoses/fittings and cleaning the related systems as required; neglect this costly service and you will start blowing out your oil seals and cause further damage. You can easily check to see if your PCV system needs servicing by pulling the engine oil dipstick when the engine is warm and running. If you see smoke/vapors coming from the tube, your system is clogged and needs the service. Also, more often than not, your "check engine" yellow light will be on because of this. The Automatic transmission needs it's fluid replaced at regular intervals to keep it shifting as designed and be reliable; it's a very simple service; just requires pulling the transmission drain plug, draining the fluid and refilling; no filter change is required. One note: you will only remove 3 or 4 quarts of trans fluid with this procedure and therefore, will need to do this at least 3 times to adequately flush out the old fluid. I run the car for 50 to 100 miles and do the drain and refill again; keep doing this until the trans fluid is a reddish/pink color, not the brownish color it probably was before. After this, you will notice the transmission will shift much more positive/firmly; the way a European car should and if done on a timely basis, will help the trans last the life of the car. There are many more examples but you get the picture and I'll say it again; only Volvo specified parts or you're taking chances. So when you hear people complain about these fine cars or say they're trouble-prone, costly or unreliable; please remember; Volvo's safety/performance/reliability does come at a price. I think it's well worth it.
    Visitor, Wilmington, NC, December 23, 2010 06:49
    V70 1999, Purchased at 18K, now at 220K, Overall great car..kept up scheduled maintenance (belts, hoses etc.,), at 200K plus replaced radiator/heat core, new struts, control arms, had driver seat leather upholstery and headliner replaced for around $500, looks great, with a little new car smell. Exterior body holding up well (wax it 1 x year) especially in an ocean front area.
    looking2fix, Parkville, MD, December 19, 2010 16:55
    just got the car about 3 weeks ago. it was a gift from my darling brother. loves the way that it drives, just all of the warning lights that keeps on popping up.
  • 2006 Volvo V70
    CarGrrl2, Berkeley, CA, December 07, 2010 05:58
    This has been a pretty reliable ride for me every day on my long work drives, with minor problems about every three months or so. But the drive train has posed continuing problems. I hear an odd vibration when I am applying pressure to the accelerator pedal to maintain speeds of 60 mph or more. Can't get to the bottom of the problem, and dealer already replaced the drive shaft once. Ugh.
  • 2004 Volvo V70
    Visitor, Sacramento, CA, October 28, 2010 10:43
    We bought a 2007 V70 2.5T used after doing quite a bit of research. While the car looks nice and much of the interior seems modern and firm, a number of used cars had all sorts of issues that dealers tried to hide. I would highly recommend forcing a dealer to repair all known issues with a pre-owned certified check before putting any money down. Then upgrade what you can in the purchase and make sure to get an extended warranty on any used Volvo. Why? Because the damn parts are expensive. Since 2007, I have had to take the car back in at least four times due to fuel/air mixture problems. The computer has had to be flushed twice due to supposed bad software. Then the O2 sensor went out. Then the throttle assembly seemed to need cleaning twice a year now. There were also wear and tear issues with suspension. We had one torn motor mount that popped up within the first year of ownership. Now, three years in, a front spring shock cup is broken and needs replacing. Oh, and wait til you have to replace the battery. They had to be different in Sweden. I'll leave that little hint as a surprise for you to check out on your own. Tip - look up replacing battery in the owner's manual. And when you're done reading you still won't do it yourself because of all the computer problems it will cause if not done right. The V70 is a nice car if you don't mind spending money on it's maintenance. There's very little you will be able to repair on your own. The best you can do to save is get the replacement part yourself and then pay a mechanic or dealer to install it rather than sourcing through their parts order. Ebay helps a lot (ebay wheel rim $120 plus $15 labor versus $450 for a dealer to replace a bent rim).
    Visitor, Saint Petersburg, FL, October 12, 2010 09:51
    This Volvo model is the worst I have ever owned, I have replaced almost everything on the vehicle from the entire cooling system to the Turbo jets to all the suspension. The brain of the computer and now for a mere $1000 I get to replace the fuel pump. After this car I would never reccomend a Volvo to anyone and I used to own 240 and 420's happy with all 4. Just this year along I have spent $3000 in maintaing vehicle.
    Visitor, Nashua, NH, September 11, 2010 12:01
    My 1999 Volvo V 70 is a fantastic car. I bought it just over a year ago from a family that really maintained it well. I bought it with 170,000 miles on it and have driven it over 25,000 miles so far. I had to do brakes on the car, and I charged the AC myself- cheap $26 fix and now the AC is really too cold, I need to turn it off. It is safe, sturdy, and has a really comfortable ride. The 5 cylinder engine has some real kick to it. RECOMMEND that you replace the timing belt on this style volvo and similar S70 every 70,000 miles. Most mechanics can change the timing belt- it wil only cost you 300 - but can save your car from serious damage down the road. I do have an intermittent stalling problem- it is not often- but the car has stalled about 10 times, it usually resolves itself. I changed the spark plugs and timing belt. Also, i have switched over to Mobil 1 synthetic oil. Hoping that this car can last me until the kids graduate college. Definitely recommend.
    Visitor, Palm Desert, CA, July 16, 2010 08:47
    My car has more than 150K and we have had this car since about 15K. So a loooooong time! My take is that Volvo's are EXPENSIVE to maintain, but honestly, very safe, reliable, etc. The AC has some specific issues that occasionally come up (just did for me). I also second the other reviewer: Don't use Volvo for service! They will raep your wallet! Find a good experienced mechanic to handle the service intervals. To present the cost of maintenance: The 150K service was close to 1000 dollars - for a 4K dollar car, that's a lot of money, relative to the price of the car. Yet of course it is 'well worth it' because hey, the car will go another 100K - easily! The low-cost of a used V70 reflects the upcoming service needs. New, my car was easily 30,000, so while it is currently anything but new, I still appreciate the excellent value the car represents. And who can put a cost on safety?
    Visitor, Roswell, GA, July 08, 2010 19:10
    Front suspension parts are clearly faulty. I have replaced anti sway bar links every year for the past 10 years....sometime more than once a year. Radiator went out at 80K. Dashboard computer is haywire. I would never buy another Volvo.
  • 2005 Volvo V70
    fryarjt, Fort Myers, FL, June 24, 2010 21:03
    This is a new addition to my family.So far,so good.Will be doing major service soon so we will see how she's held up for the last 5 years 6/24/10 - just did 120000 mile service including water pump and drive belts. No problems with any suspension componets which was great news
  • 2001 Volvo V70
    Visitor, Seattle, WA, May 14, 2010 13:42
    I love my Volvo! My husband however thinks it's a pain in the neck compared to our old Toyota. He prefers his old 240. The check engine light comes on even when there is nothing wrong. Our mechanic repairs it and it just keeps happening. So how would I know when there's really a problem? Also there is a loud squeak coming from somewhere in the suspension, I think. No mechanic has been able to find it. So my opinion on Volvos is truly emotional.
    halninek, Asheville, NC, May 03, 2010 18:56
    Have had my 2000 V70 for a little over 4 years now. Currently has 148k miles on the odo. Recently had to replace steering rack (cost me $129 for a remanufactured OEM rack and I installed it myself), but this has been the only semi-major repair the car has needed. Sway bar endlinks failed around 120k, very common and easy fix. Everything else has been general/scheduled maintenance. I am definitely not the slowest driver in the world and I enjoy a good spirited run every now and then, but I maintain my car religiously. FYI Denso Iridium spark plugs work great in these cars, better performance and economy than OEM plugs. Don't forget to service your transmission too, even though the manual says nothing about doing so it should be done every 30k miles or less. And this model year is pretty much the last one before they became all Ford, which is one of the reasons I picked a 2000 model. Has been a great car overall! P.S. Don't use a Volvo dealer for repairs. Find a local repair shop that specializes in these cars and you will save a ton of money. Volvo dealers will tell you anything to get you to spend money.
  • 2001 Volvo V70
    Visitor, Happy Valley, OR, March 31, 2010 07:32
    We have had our 2001 V70 T5 for 9 years and would buy another one. Our only complaint is that the heating system doesn't heat our feet satisfactorily.
  • 2006 Volvo V70
    HenryC, Atlanta, GA, February 08, 2010 14:15
    I have an '06 V70 T5 (Canadian Model) purchased new in May 08. So far, the car has performed flawlessly. I do the oil/filter changes myself using Mobile 1 and Volvo oil filters. One minor recall. Seats are very good- and supportive- perfect for spirited driving. With the back seats down you can haul a washing machine, lumber for a deck or what ever. Excellent acceleration, great brakes. Good in snow up to about 3 or 4 inches.
    Yotofuji, Denver, CO, July 17, 2009 07:46
    This vehicle is stored outside at 10,000 feet in the heart of the Rocky Mountains. Other than some minor battery issues, this car has been bullet-proof with the proper maintenance. However, the maintenance is PRICEY - $1500 - $2500 per year. The AWD is solid in snow under 6 inches, but the clearance is marginal. Mileage is decent...city/19 hwy/22 mpg. Turbo engine requires Premium fuel - BOO!!!
    rachelm, Kansas City, MO, January 12, 2009 06:40
    This car has been a lemon since I got it. 3 months ago - the driver side door lock assemblty broke - making it impossible to open. The assembly has to be matched to the car and brought in from Sweden. I was without my car for over a week. Now the ignition assembly has locked up. It will be the same thing - bring it in, tear it apart, and order the part from Sweden - wait a week. All the interior door panels have come off - the dealer wants $2000 per panel to replace. Had a local repair shop put on new clips and reattach. It cost $100. Parts were $2.50. This car has no traction. It slips and slides up the slighest hill with frost. No getting around in the snow or ice we have here in the midwest. I bought this car for long term. the engine seems sounds, it is the rest of the car that is falling apart. I hate this car - and will never buy another volvo. My last 2 cars were toyota and honda - wanted a wagon to carry more kids. silly me.
    David Sturtz, Berkeley, CA, August 20, 2008 04:24
    I have the 'R' version and this car has never reached its potential. The engine pulls well but the transmission is abysmally suited for its turbo-lagged output. Manual shifting needed frequently. The suspension is a bit too soft but the steering's fairly precise. Overall reliability has been fair, not great.