Volvo V40 Reviews

Volvo V40 Reviews and Owner Comments

Certainly no 1985 240. That was a well built car with good under the hood space to work on things. This Volvo is a mere shell of the former Volvo moniker. Small brake pads wear quick, turbo went out, mass airflow sensor twice, leaks oil from pan, currently dealing with changing the entire cooling system which requires taking far too many hoses and sensors off to do. All the rubber has gone to complete @#$%. The interior of my car also did not make it 10 years. Roof liner came off. So many problems with the piece of crap it's unbelievable. Something new every week it seems. Tie rods had to be replaced twice.
Bought our 2004 V40 as a certified used Volvo in 2006 and have put nearly 100,000 trouble-free miles on it. The only expense we've incurred other than routine maintenance is for the replacement of the glass on the passenger side mirror after someone knocked into it. Some key pluses for the V40; - Seats are comfortable, even on long drives; - Heating and A/C are great. The A/C is strong and cools the car quickly and I'm always amazed by how fast the car heats up in the winter; - While it's certainly not a sports car, it is peppy and responsive. One somewhat annoying nit: if you don't screw on the gas cap exactly right, the 'Check Engine" light comes on.
I bought this car second hand at 202 000km a year ago. It's my first Volvo and I just love it! No major problem just usual maintenance at this mileage: front wheel bearing (right), ball joint (right), tie rod end (left) and front axle (right). Other problem typical to this model was with the Climate Control Unit: after inspection I found it was bad solder on the "printed circuit board". I redone some solders and now it work perfectly (heat, fan speed and A/C)! I like the engine economy compare to other Volvo. I'm from Quebec, Canada
I bought it new. Now it has 77000 miles on odometer. The car suffered THREE repairs by warranty and one of them was when I stuck in the road and the car was towed to the repair shop. Transmission has originally very serious problem, which has already caused me a big loss of money and it has not been fixed. Air conditioner still works, but malfunctions on regular basis. It suddenly switches from cold to hot by itself and nobody can help me. Brake system originally was full of air. After I changed break fluid it works fine, but calipers stick time to time causing uneven ware. I don’t care about exhaust and emission as long as I can pas smog-check, fortunately I do. Steering works fine, but it squeaks when I turn the wheel. Maintenance is very expensive and car requires a lot of it. I can do all maintenance and many repairs by myself, but the car purposely designed to prevent or hinder maintenance/repair by the owner. In general the car is very low quality and full of bad design solution. Shoddy cheaply made worst car ever! Volvo has become ugliest make in the world.
My Volvo V40 is a nice ride, fun to drive. The interior is the big drawback, it just feels cheap, not like other Volvo's. The power of the 4 cylinder turbo is great, it really get's up and goes when you want it to. We had some check engine light issues that took a few visits to the dealer to get repaired, but has been ok since then.