Reviews for Volkswagen Passat TDI years:

Volkswagen Passat TDI Reviews and Owner Comments

Volkswagen Passat TDIOwner Reviews (5 reviews)
    Visitor, Mill Hall, PA, November 25, 2013 07:59
    I have had this car for a year now, about 160,000 miles. I have already had to replace the transmission (the new one has 70,000 miles on it) and it is now doing the same clunking and hard shifting as the previous one! I really do like this car and the mileage that I receive which is usually around 35-37mpg, and that is "country" because it is rarely on the highway for more than 10 miles. Also, will not start when it is cold out. It needs to be jumped, the battery is turning over and the glow plug light is not on so something faulty with the car. I wouldn't recommend this car to anyone. Sorry.
    Visitor, Barker, NY, March 07, 2013 12:08
    My Passat now requires transmission work for the 3rd time. By far the most expensive car for repair bills I have ever had (30 years of driving). Dealership won't cover anything under their "bumper to bumper" used car warranty.
    AnointedHelp, Douglasville, GA, January 11, 2012 18:45
    I really love this car. I have had it for a little over 6yrs. Great mileage (42mpg) when cruise control is set at 72 mph. Great stereo. Sadly, I will likely let this car go. I am facing having to replace the torque converter for $2,700 and maybe the transmission for $4,900. I just cannot see dropping nearly 8K for repairs. That's ridiculous.
    Visitor, Oklahoma City, OK, September 03, 2010 20:46
    The TDI is a great engine for fuel mileage. A very comfortable mid-sized car that can get over 40 mpg on the highway. The power is outstanding and addictive. The major downside is that VW of America has a poor rep for customer service, and refuses to acknowledge a design flaw in the 04 & 05 diesel (TDI) engines. The oil pump is chain driven and has caused major engine damage to more than a few owners. An out of pocket fix can cost you around $3k, if you catch it b4 it totals you engine. Fred in OKC
    Visitor, Warren, PA, July 30, 2010 18:34
    first diesel i owned. i love it. excellent mileage. good get up and go. 94,000k and still have original brakes. thought timing belt replacement and water pump and few accessories were a bit out of line. $1200. otherwise an excellent machine. i will buy another .