Reviews for Volkswagen Jetta years:

Volkswagen Jetta Reviews and Owner Comments

Volkswagen JettaOwner Reviews (120 reviews)
  • 2014 Volkswagen Jetta
    Visitor, Carmichael, CA, November 01, 2014 14:24
    Vehicle needed to be towed to dealer with only 3,200 miles driven. Service department pinpointed cause to be a bad fuel injector. Very disappointed that vehicle was towed to dealer before 1st oil & filter. Don't buy a 2014 Jetta unless you want to have towed before 1st service due
    Visitor, Grand Rapids, MI, October 12, 2014 13:39
    11 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 SE Great gas mileage. Very good opinions for the price” leather, touch screen radio, heated seats, sunroof. This is my first Volkswagen and I am glad I got it.I have own it for a mouth and half no problem
    Visitor, Fallbrook, CA, September 22, 2014 20:18
    Second tdi. 03 had much better mileage. I bought 06 new; brought it in from Tampa to California. While under warranty I took it to the dealer several times when it just wouldn't turn over. Dealer never found a problem, kept it for days. Headliner fell out @ 60k miles. Buttons bubbled on all the instruments & to fix the bad paint they want to replace everything. Absurd. The steering wheel melted, just began disintegrating. Now I've replaced both switches on the front windows. Each time they have to disassemble the entire door... $300 a pop.... now I'm replacing both motors and regulators in each door... $709 + tax per door. Air conditioner has had 6 filters and it blows when the new filter is in but one has to be going over 50 mph steady for it to begin cooling. If the outside temp. is over 85 degrees, it takes 20 minutes to begin cooling. After 90 degrees, it stops cooling. The only time I use the air conditioner is when it's over 90, so I'm so screwed. VW worked on it, but no results. I had to take it to an air conditioner specialist to get it replaced. I change the oil ever 3500 miles and perform all regular maintenance. I do not mind timing belts every 70k or replacing bulbs, but replacing the same bulb in the same fixture every year, really? The heat seats are awesome, but how often do i need them in southern California? I should never have sold the 03 tdi. It just got broken in at 50k miles… mpg actually improved to 48mpg from 42mpg. It really held it’s value as well, but this car…. I love diesels. But all these “little things” have added up to $5896. That amount does NOT include the regular maintenance items, oil changes, brakes, timing belts, tires etc. That is what it has cost to repair the structural problems. I did include the new headlamp covers. They were treated twice and I eventually just replaced them. It was the first time I did not have to buy an entire item, in this case the headlamp, to replace the cheap plastic. My speedometer plastic is scratched and I wanted to replace the plastic as I had cleaned it with something that melted it…. I think i used acetone... don't ;) And they told me I would have to replace the whole part. I could have gotten new doors for what they have charged me to fix the ones I have. VW dealer told me to trade it. They said they’ve fixed all the problems I was having. I don’t want a new car. I want this car to be right. I bought my son an 04 tdi wagon 5 years ago. It was made in Germany, all leather. It gets over 42mpg consistently and has none of the issues my Mexican Jetta has. So, if you want a diesel, the Golf is made in Germany. Just know that VW will NEVER do anything for their consumers no matter how loyal they have been nor how blatantly defective their product is produced.
    Visitor, Jacksonville, FL, August 30, 2014 15:59
    for those of u who had wiring harness issue there is a class action law suit ... visit www.wiringharnesssettlement.com. fot the issues with cv boots visit https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml and file a complaint... lets have these manufactures fix the faulty cars they sold us
    Visitor, Cape Vincent, NY, December 05, 2013 13:29
    TDI 2006, too many fixes including clutch, door wiring harness, secondary fuel pump, under body rubbers, hoses and motor camshaft
    Visitor, Waterford, CT, June 30, 2013 18:57
    / water pump has big issues.The water pump impeller is made of plastic and prone to leakage.It becomes highly expensive to replace, since anytime you replace the water pump,it is recommended to replace the timing belt.
    Visitor, Kasson, MN, April 01, 2013 10:39
    Currently at 214,000 miles had minor issues. Two differant hoses, clutch and sensor for the exhaust. Currently the airbag light is on, been reset once after 3 months back on, dealer claims it the airbag controler but they tested it and is came passed all the tests.
    Visitor, Hartsdale, NY, March 24, 2013 23:12
    I have replaced the engine after the timing belt leaped off. The radio keeps going into safe mode.VW never gave me the code with the radio. They now cliam to have to remove the radio to get the code. I will not be buying a VW ever again. when this one dies I will park it in front of Mayer VW of Larchmont and leave it there. The car also locked the doors with my nephew in the car with the car off, while he was in the car seat. We had to break the window. VW says the car it fine.
    Visitor, Bothell, WA, February 26, 2013 21:14
    Every component except the Engine and Transmission are cheap and unreliable. Everything from the Fuel system to the Lock tumblers falls apart. It is a never ending money suck. I feel unethical selling this car just knowing that something else is going to break the next time someone touches it.
    Visitor, Denver, CO, January 28, 2013 17:36
    Neither the local Dealer or the VW of America will do anything about it the Air harness problem in my 2005/2.5 Jetta. I have started a class action lawsuit email me if you need more info sonriks4@live.com If your Jetta has had issues with the Door wiring harness you must watch this video see link below: http://youtu.be/p1eQ5XL-zPM
    Visitor, Richardson, TX, December 15, 2012 03:19
    I have the 2005.5 New Jetta and overall I am pretty happy with my car. I have owned it since new, and I have racked up 110000 + miles. It drives like new, but the headliner is falling. Trunk latch will mess up from time to time. Radio buttons are gone for the most part. I installed an after market Sony with Bluetooth. So that is not an issue now. The car was shifting very hard, and just about the time I noticed it. A letter came in the mail from VW for a valve body (transmission part)recall for hard shifts, perfect timing. Bigger issues I once needed a full brake job cause the pad were basically harder than the roters. So pads were 100% but my roters were toast. The ignition switch messed up to the point were my key would not go in, and I ended up breaking a screw driver off inside it. It was a very pricy repair, but the car gets me from work and home daily and gets roughly to 34 mpg.
    Visitor, Port Huron, MI, October 31, 2012 11:32
    I have owned my Jetta TDI 2006 since new. This is my second stab and final one at owning a VW Jetta (04 was a disaster). So far I have replaced the following parts; Rad hoses (twice) Both cooling fans Cabin fan (twice) Fan relay All 4 wheel bearings Clutch Timing belt and water pump (twice) Light bulbs by the dozen Hood closure switch All brakes Now it's the door harness and sunroof opening by itself that are the next repairs if I have any money left. So tell me, where are the supposed savings by owning a TDI vs gas? :( Good Bye VW
    Visitor, Jupiter, FL, October 15, 2012 13:02
    The Volkswagon dealership has always said the check engine light is no big deal ,they dont know whats wrong. The headliner and cooling fans go when the warranty is over. Soon after the a/c compressor follows. Drives great despite being mainly junk.
  • 1999 Volkswagen Jetta
    Visitor, Chestertown, MD, October 15, 2012 08:28
    More than a review, a question regarding the side mirror control. The joy stick that controls the side view mirrors broke off a long time ago. I have the mirrors set to my setting but as I turned off the ignition yesterday the mirrors retracted or tucked in against the windows on their own!? When I needed to adjust the mirrors I used a pensil eraser but this wont release the mirrors back to driving position. Can anybody help? Best regards, Looking Forward
    Visitor, Greenfield, TN, August 15, 2012 20:47
    purchased in 2001 volkswagen jetta 1.8 turbo gls.... nothing but humongous piles of s***... I have had the car for 32 days and the other day it started getting hot check engine light coors light came on... replace oil cooler and a timing belt serpentine belt... water pump... twice I've had to fix oil cooler because of oil keeps going into my overflow.... now it's going out and it's very sluggish I'm having so many problems with this car I would rather smash into 1,000,000 pieces everdrive another 1..... goto everybody thinking of buying a volkswagen jetta please thank again because I bought mine for 4500 can I put 1200 into it and counting is sitting in my driveway and I haven't been able to drive it is a huge pile of crap... not to mention the handle on the driver door is broke off the glove compartment clippers broke up orders broke speakers blown in the center console is broke.... if anybody has had problems please let them on here because I know everybody I know has these problems everyone who talks about off so I can talk about how big are piles of s*** they are
    Visitor, Winter Springs, FL, August 06, 2012 13:04
    I bought a 2006 Value Edition new and have had a number of problems, but most were covered by the 5 year warranty. The first problem was the rubber coating on the radio bubbling up, but warranty replaced it. Next was the headliner falling out, warranty fixed. Then trunk latch quit working, covered by warranty.And then the catalytic converter, also covered. After the warranty expired the driver window was having trouble going uo and down. VW said they would gladly replace it for $500. I managed to fix it with some $2.00 wire connectors and some online help. I think the auxilary fan went out and that cost about $500. And now something is wrong with the cv boots. But I have 97,000 miles on it and it still runs like new,although it does take 10 minutes for the a/c to cool. Overall I like it, it is the best car I have owned.
    Visitor, West Columbia, SC, July 08, 2012 22:22
    Worst piece of crap i have ever owned......will never...EVER...buy a Volks again........plastic propeller for water pump broke into pieces at 80K......been nighmare ever since......one thing after another.....coil packs.....sensors.....top end rebuilt....both fans replaced....front cowl......got a glove box full of repairs.....prolly spent 5-6k in repairs since bought it.........has 150k on it now......manifold leak now.....been sitting last 2 yrs....until i decide on next move.....figure if i dont drive it....nuttin else will break...
    Visitor, New Smyrna Beach, FL, July 01, 2012 20:34
    Purchased used at 65K its now at 104K I have had no major issues just a crack in the coolant tank. LOVE EVERYTHING ELSE! I follow my recomended maintenance schedule religiously! Oil change every 5k VW for life!
    Visitor, Albuquerque, NM, June 27, 2012 20:44
    Got the car in Nov 2006. Has been a pile since day one. Everything seems to break on it. I'm thinking of selling now, tired of pumping $ into it. I'll never buy VW again. German engineering my a$$
    Visitor, Parkersburg, WV, June 19, 2012 23:32
    i stumbled onto my jet and was very happy until a few days of driving . the car had 67,000 miles on it but it has many problems, it uses oil ,the speedometer fluctuates so i cant use the cruise controll .the ac fan wont work , the check engine light stays on even if you fix the problem . broken interior plastic, the suspension sqeeks ,and it smells like crayons when it is hot outside .how did this car become so popular ? i now have 84.000 miles on it and am looking to ditch it.
    Visitor, Beverly Hills, CA, June 10, 2012 17:52
    I have a 2002 Jetta 1.8t, it's been chipped since birth, turbo upgrade, way above stock horse, and runs perfict. I guess some get lemons and some don't.
    Visitor, Bellingham, WA, May 02, 2012 14:11
    I have a 6 cylinder wagon with sport suspension/package. At 80K it started making a noise at idle, like a chka-chka-chka-chka fast, not real loud. I mentioned it before an oil change today and the mechanic heard it as well. Said it's the upper chain drive that is slipping and can cause serious engine damage if not fixed. To get to it requires removing the transmission so while they're in there may as replace the clutch, and check the cooling system. Now it's at 90K miles and I feel like I'm driving a ticking time bomb, it's over 2 grand to repair, but I will do it because I'm not up for buying someone else's problem when I've maintained it for ten years.
    Visitor, Palmdale, CA, April 14, 2012 13:05
    Ughhh, where do I begin.. So I bought my used 2002 VW jetta from the Hawthorne dealership for $5000 cash, they told me it ran perfect, nothing was wrong with it, I loved it when I bought it...So that was a month ago, I had my fiance change the oil, and when he looked under the car everything was totally rusted, and there was chunky oil and fluid all dried up all over under the car.. It is an automatic, and all of a sudden when i try to leave to go anywhere, my car wont shift, it stays in first and will not go into second and just rev's the RPM so high, so I have to pull over and let my car warm up for about 10 more minutes, very embarressing, and now they say there is nothing they can do about it, im a single mom and this totally sucks, cause it is so exspensive...
    Visitor, Summerville, GA, March 12, 2012 10:29
    04 vw jetta wagon diesel car runs fine while driving but skips occassionally shuts off while idiling but continues to restart. Oil was recently low and changed oil and filter trying to eliminate problem. Problem continues, changed fuel filter also. Also put 911 diesel treatment in fuel but did not solve problem.
    Visitor, Inglewood, CA, February 02, 2012 10:26
    Okay I just want to point out that If you buy a car used you don't know what the previous owner did or didn't do for the car. I know I read something about someone complaning about the body and interer that one pulls a red flag for me as it sounds like the car was hit/ Fix wrong and sold to you. You have to look out for you when buying Used BIG TIME no matter who is selling it. LOL I get No it's never been hit... Look under the hood and well well all I see is crumbles there responce... Oh really it's been hit... I have owned a new right off the lot 2003 Jetta, I put about 185,000 Miles on it with only changing Spark plugs once... It did get stuck in 3rd and the dealer told me it was because the fluid was low they filled, Fixed, for free.. Even washed it for me :)I had problems with the trunk latch and I fixed that my self. It was just the plastic piece getting stuck. Other then that it was a wonderful car. I drove the hell out of it. I now have a 2005 Jetta GLI about 79,000 Miles I was the 2nd owner on this one... Now keep in mind about what I said above about used cars... I had it 4 day's and the alternator went out.. Okay its used I understand. they fixed for fee... (Car Max) I have changed the water pump, Timing belt, Aux water pump, water pump hose, Coils, Coolant Cap, and now I'm told I have valve cover leak and cam seal leak. So buying used really isn't a good Idea LOL... Also Never get your work done at a Dealer they are WAAAAAAAAAY to pricy the only work I ever get done there is if its free... best way for you to get your car checked is if they have a recall they will tell you everything that is wrong with it... have them write it all down and get quotes or do it yourself some of the stuff they do is REALLY EASY! I just had my car checked (for free) they quotecd me $1,055.00 to fix the Aux water pump valve cover and cam seal... I just bought the parts to do this for about $150.00 Yeah I don't think I would do the cam seal myself but I know I can find someone to do it under $905.00 more like for about $200.00 total cost for me was about $350.00 I saved $705.00 VW Jetta's have been my best cars so far for the price. Plus if you don't buy the parts or have the work done from the dealer they are very cheep to fix. For the 2005 Jetta GLI I think I have only spent maybe over $1,000.00 to get all that fixed. If I would have got it done thru the dealer it easly would have been over $5,000 -$7,000.00. Bottom line all cars break and if you have problems don't take no for an answer. (Car Max tried to say it was my fault! OH hell no! lol I got it all done for free) Don't get ripped off. I love my VW and if they didn't change the body style in late 2005 I would be buying another one. NEW!!!! :)
    Visitor, Chatham, IL, January 27, 2012 12:03
    We have had two 2006 VW Jetta TDI's. The mileage was great. We sold our daughter's car with 75,000 miles on it because it would die at traffic lights. Our daughter would have to turn the car completely off and turn it back on to get it to go. This was not safe for a single girl in St. Louis. An independent shop said it was the transmission. VW and their dealerships could not find a problem. They didn't believe our daughter, even though it happened 4 times in 2 weeks. VW would NOT work with us. We sold her car for a 2012 Honda Pilot. She is much happier. The second Jetta has 77,000 miles on it and now the compressor is going out. We don't have an option, we have to get it fixed. The estimate is $700. Will we buy another VW? NEVER! It takes forever to get cool in the summer. VW is not loyal to their customers. We will no longer be loyal to them.
    nydrell, Houston, TX, December 30, 2011 04:38
    ok listen up all you folks with bad luck,all cars have flaws if you take care of your car it would take care of you period.currently i own a 2006 Jetta 2.5 with all the options,navigation heated seats the works.i have 82086 miles and never had a problem so far.this is my 5th Jetta.I have owned a 91-95-99-02 and now this 06.never had an issue with any of them.i live in HOuston i can go on a road trip to new York or Califonia at any given time and don't have to worry about breaking down,(have done it already).It has great power its solid good on gas,i got close to 500 miles on a tank one time the trunk is huge its fast,hit 130mph couple times.the brakes are excellent and i never had to visit the dealership for anything.So my opinion to you guys just keep good maintainance and you should be ok .
    gosubaru, Du Bois, PA, December 04, 2011 09:00
    Has anyone else been approached by VW to buyback their 06 Jetta due to a faulty passenger side airbag system?
    Peter Dong, Raleigh, NC, October 26, 2011 22:17
     Technician
    My girlfriend used to have a 00 Jetta GLS. It's a good car to run but there would be problems coming after 100,000 miles.
    Visitor, Seal Beach, CA, October 18, 2011 14:46
    Purchase new 2006 Jetta tdi loaded. 176000 kms latter And over 6000.oo of mechanical repairs all done by Owasco V.W. It seems nothing is warranty.All services done as per V.W. schedule in service book.90% highway driving, Driven by owner only. Any savings on fuel was spent three times over on the worst vehicle I have ever owned Gord Graham (gordgrahamocl@yahoo.com)
    Visitor, Nashua, NH, September 29, 2011 11:09
    I have owed my 2003 vw GLI V6 for 4 years i put on 82k a this is the best VW ever I have owned 4 vw and this is the best VW V6 lots of power NO timming Belt!!! Great Car !!!
    Visitor, Ashburn, VA, September 21, 2011 09:17
    Unfortunately I recently bought a 2006 VW Jetta 2.5L. I've had the same problem as many of you have posted here for the malfunction of the driver's door harness/wiring defectiveness, therefore they want me to change the whole wiring system for $500 plus the horn stopped working all of the sudden and that is $253 and the lights keep burning like every 4 months! POS! Wish I had known this info before I bought this crap! I am sure no one will give me what I paid for this car.
  • 2009 Volkswagen Jetta
    Visitor, Westminster, MD, September 03, 2011 19:08
    2009 Jetta TDI just broke 100,000 miles (extended warranty now over). Has been an awesome car for me so far. A great mix of power & economy, and very comfortable for the 3 hrs I commute daily (round trip). Avg. MPG in the summer: 48; Avg. MPG in the winter: 41. Only problems I've had are: a) the auxiliary audio plug in the center console stopped working, and b) the pricing for some service items, many of which can be done yourself on the cheap with great results.
    Visitor, Orange, MA, August 30, 2011 18:19
    Bought the car as the second owner at 2 years old, have had it nearly 3 years now. This was my first, and last, VW. Had the main harness in the door go, they made me pay for that. I've now started having interior trim pieces just falling off, the headliner is peeling, getting the verdict on that tomorrow. The trunk and the hood will only sporadically latch when temps are low, the gas door hardly opens, EVER, need to peel it open with my fingernail. The sunroof will open on its own every so often in the winter months. Car drives great and is very mechanically sound, but the interior and body on this car SUCK! Never will I buy another VW. Not to mention the stupid cowl they put over the engine, what a pain in the ass, just trying to drive up service costs and keep their dealerships alive obviously.
    Visitor, Ballston Lake, NY, August 10, 2011 19:27
    Just bought my 2008 SE 2.5 6 speed Auto last week. Got a solid deal from a VW dealer in central NJ. Certified/ balance of BTB Warrantee till June, 2012, then 2/24 over that. Drive is excellent. 170 HP with good PEP. Seats are comfortable. Good features overall. Blue lights on the speedometer/tachometer look very sharp at night. Nice sounding radio. I love the AUX hookup for my little IPOD Shuffle. CONS: whats with the lack of a middle setting for the headlamps/ interior lights? Not alot of storage space for the wallet & misc etc. That darn VW brake dust on the alloy rims!!!!! (GRRR) The power door locks arent working correctly. Took it in today to a local VW Dealer, they say they replaced (2) latches. The doors still dont lock right & did not lock at all on the highway today.
    Visitor, Lombard, IL, July 28, 2011 06:05
    Bought mine new. At 70,000 miles, have had to replace fuel pump, water pump timing belt ,battery, tires. Still like the car. Only issues: I'm short so the visors are too short and don't block out enough sun when down. Also, the driver's side wipers creates a large arch and doesn't clean the window. Real issue in winter when snow/road salt dirty the window. Can't see my right side due to the 'arch of dirt' that isn't cleaned from my window due to the wiper blades.
  • 1996 Volkswagen Jetta
    lucio, Pembroke Pines, FL, June 28, 2011 14:33
    i have a stick shift and when i change gears from 1 to 2 and so on and req. to accelerate fast it slips, could it be lack of fluid.
    Visitor, Glastonbury, CT, May 31, 2011 20:45
    I bought this 2008 Jetta 2.5L new with minimal options. The car is quick, it handles well, and the brakes are fine for most driving situations. Fit and finish are pretty good, there are no rattles or major interior issues after 3 years. The cloth seats are a little hard under the knee but reasonably comfortable for trips under 4-5 hours, I should have gone with leather and the cold weather package. Pros: Quick, reliable and economical engine, the car goes where you point it. This is a good commuter car, fill the tank 3/4 once a week and no worries. Not too bad in snow without snow tires, though I'd recommend you not risk getting stuck. Fairly good value for the money. Cons: Electrical issues with lights, trunk sensor (2x) and driver side door harness. At 90k miles a small oil leak at back of the engine (main seal). For some reason, VW thinks it is a good idea for this Jetta model to run an aux air pump/compressor (A/C) for 15-30 sec. at virtually every engine startup -- regardless of recent A/C use. The thing sounds awful when you start an engine that would otherwise idles quietly.
  • 1993 Volkswagen Jetta
    OS PET, Los Altos, CA, April 04, 2011 21:04
    The first brand new car that I ever owned was my worst. It was an 1993 Volkswagen Jetta. The all new model for 1993. Test driving a Jetta on the dealer's lot, the Jetta seemed like a well engineered vehicle. It rode well, steered well and was reasonably quiet. The Jetta I actually purchased wasn't the one that I test drove. When I took delivery of my new Jetta it had only 26 miles on the odometer. The car was delivered to me full of dust. The dealer said I'd have to wait a few days to have it detailed; I declined and said I'd wash it when I got my new Jetta home. Also there was only 1/8th of a tank of gasoline in the car when I took delivery. The dealer wasn't motivated to fill the tank on my newly purchased $16,0000 Jetta! Okay, so the dealership experience sucked. When I was driving my new Jetta home in the dark I kept getting drivers flashing their high beams at me. Turns out my new Jetta had misaligned headlamps right out of the factory! Next I noticed that the power operated trunk wouldn't disengage. This was due to a misaligned trunk due to sloppy workmanship in the factory. After the headlamps and trunk lid were realigned I was enjoying my new Jetta. Come 1000 miles and the engine develops an erratic idle. Dealer says it'snormal!? I had to have several safety recalls corrected shortly after that stint at my VW dealer. Next problem came about with the Jetta's horns sounding very weak. The dealer again tells me that there is nothing wrong with the horns. Then why do they sound like shit?! At 10,000 I was opening my sunroof and crrrrrrrunch! The whole mechanism jammed. Back to the VW dealer again. I had to have the entire sunroof mechanism replaced. While doing the repair, the repairmen soiled my headliner with gunk and grease. They would't offer to clean it. I'm really beginning to develop a hatred for this car now. 13,000 my back up lights fail. Repairman says it was due to a burned out switch. One month later the same thing happened! 17,000 miles and the instrument panel lighting is intermittently flickering whenever I go over a bump. Dealer claims "they couldn't duplicate problem!" 20,000 and still more erratic idling problems that my dealer say's "is normal!" Now the interior is developing lots of squeaks and rattles. 25,000 and the sunroof made an unpleasant groaning sound while it opened very slowly. I shut it and never opened it again. Not only was I fed up with this crappy VW, but the dealer's service department was the clincher: insolent, self righteous, accusatory pricks! I decided to trade in my Jetta at 26,500 miles on a brand new 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GT. I still have my Grand Prix. I am really attached to my Grand Prix, and it has never given me any headaches whatsoever. My Pontiac is a great solid and reliable car.
    Visitor, Hookerton, NC, April 03, 2011 11:48
    We have had this car for about 4 years, and it sucks
    jchattori, Prescott, AZ, April 01, 2011 21:45
    Bought at 40K. Now have 105K. Besides breaks, oil, filter, and tires the only major repair has been the temperature sensor, which set me back around $200. Love the handling. Manual transmission is rather tight. The GL version has ABSOLUTELY NO POWER. I can't imagine running an automatic with this engine -- Geo Metros would be faster. Gonna get a Mazda in two years...or perhaps whenever this little car decides to die. I've always had mixed feelings about this car, but have been somewhat happy about its reliability thus far.
    Visitor, Owings Mills, MD, March 04, 2011 06:43
    bought a 2005 (last year for this generation) last year. It had 15k on it, but it was still junk. The 2.0L I4 is horribly underpowered matched to an antiquated 4-spd auto, the shifts are rough, you need to mash the pedal to the floor to get the car to go with traffic, the brakes are fair at best. In a VW if the ABS comes on and you still skid, it will let go of the brakes. The seats are firm and back breaking. The car is so cheap, if you jump a curb, the front bumper hooks onto the curbs and so the bumper gets yanked off when you put the thing in reverse. The nice thing is being able to snap the bumper back on, but it never alligns right again. The headlights housing fog up and yellow very quickly, and I'm not sure why there is a switch for the brights because they really aren't there. The electrical system is junk. You close a window and you can see the headlights dim. The mileage is good, but it could be better with a better engine, transmission, or both. Don't waste your time on this car. Spend the extra money and get the newer ones.
    Visitor, Bettendorf, IA, March 02, 2011 13:52
    I bought this car new and have never had so many problems with a vehicle before. The car runs great and is very mechanically sound, but the nuisance issues have made owning this car a headache. So far I've had to replace the A/C Compressor (covered under warranty as VW admitted a problem with the part - told it would have been $3200 to repair), the drivers door wiring harness ($600), the sunroof (one cable broke and they had to replace the entire thing - $1800), and the drivers side window control switch ($150). I also have had problems with the Check Engine light and Transmission Light coming off but they're never able to identify a problem. I have given up on it and have driven for 30,000+ miles just ignoring it. The VW dealership acts like it's no big deal (like replacing a sunroof for $1800 is normal!!) and is incredibly arrogant in addressing my concerns. I will never again purchase a VW.
    vwjetta823, Chino Hills, CA, February 12, 2011 23:42
    Bought the 2011 VW Jetta SE a couple of weeks ago. Check engine light lit. Took car into repair at Riverside VW. Told it was bad relay for air pump(emissions). Problem fixed. 3 days later, check engine light on again. with radio off, you can hear some kind of grinding noise when car revs 2000-3000 rpm. So far, this is my first bad experience since owning 2 VW's in past.
  • 1996 Volkswagen Jetta
    slammedmk3, Johnston, RI, February 07, 2011 11:24
    I absolutly love this car. If you put an R8 Audi & a 1996 veerow GLX in front of me, I would pick the jetta. I think that basically sums it up!
    Visitor, Federal Way, WA, January 12, 2011 14:37
    I bought my 1998 Jetta 2.0L M/T with 105,000 miles on it in 2001. Now in January of 2011 it has 228,000 on it. Regular maintenance has kept it on the road, and I still get 29 mpg. Electrically the turn signals are a bit quirky, and the cruise control gave up. My son crashed it into a curb in the midst of a U turn and trashed the right side half axel and undercarriage. Some 20,000 miles later the transmission gave up, due to that hit, and I had a decision to make: pour a couple thousand into a car with 150k on it or go get something new and sell the Jetta to wrecking yard. When you add the cost of the car, and transmission work, and all the maintenance along the way, this is the most cost effective and relaible transportation I've ever owned. And its been a blast to drive along the way. I'm looking forward to rolling over 300,000!
    Visitor, Colorado Springs, CO, December 27, 2010 12:01
    Purchased May2010...6,500 miles so far with zero issues. I rated the engine 4 of 5 as it does not idle "perfectly" when first started. Car seems as solid as my BMW.
  • 1999 Volkswagen Jetta
    jokawood, Richmond, VA, December 11, 2010 20:08
    The 2.0 L is almost impossible to break. Get this car if you want something that is good for the price and reliable.
    Visitor, Canonsburg, PA, December 09, 2010 15:52
    I like the car ad the way it drives, however , it has been plagued by some electrical gremlins, door and window lock modules, phantom alarms, sporadic battery draws.
    Visitor, Lone Grove, OK, December 08, 2010 08:00
    Bought new. Now has 106,000 on it and I've had it in the shop for the harness/driver door, which had to be replaced, CV boots and the compressor has gone out now. It has had the lights replaced many times, seems they burn out every two months or so. Just replaced the battery. Have kept synthetic oil in it every 10,000 miles. VERY mechanically sound. Drives like a BMW or Benz. It is a 5 cylinder automatic 2.5. Plastic pieces inside have become brittle and break/peel in Oklahoma heat. I'm about half scared to keep the car further, due to the cost of mechanical repairs, if they are needed in the near future.
    clutterfish, Winston Salem, NC, December 04, 2010 06:55
    I bought this car a little under 5 years ago. in the intervening time I've put almost 150,000 miles on my jetta, and not the old lady driving back and forth to the market to get Wheatabix kind of miles, but the jobs in three different cities, hauling metal and tools for metal art, drunken offroading at my mom's house kind of miles. i've put this car through the worst sort of hell one can imagine. it's been unreal. throughout all this punishment, the jetta has been unfailingly reliable, cost me less in maintenance than any three of my previous cars combined, basic upkeep only, absolutely no serious or even minor repairs. I love my jetta, let me say that again I love my jetta. if i weren't paranoid of little hybrid man/jetta babies, i'd make love to my car daily...that line will probably get me flagged but you get my point.
    Visitor, Anderson, CA, December 03, 2010 00:31
    I bought my Jetta used with 125k miles on it . who ever had it never took care of it . it's engine at idle sounds like a old tractor, but runs like a race car , very zippie . the water pump went out , the plastic impeller broke . I found a new water pump with metal impeller at my local NAPA store and Gates makes a timing belt kit . it was using oil when I bought it and I changed it to the10w 30 snythetic blend and my oil use dropped from 1qt in 5k miles to 4 oz in 5 k miles . I am very happy with this car now. I put a few dollars into it but feel it will go for another 125k miles before I retire it . any car is as good as the care and maintence given it .
    Visitor, Diamond Bar, CA, November 17, 2010 09:16
    My 2001 Jetta was new when I got it and 9 years later, I really haven't had any problems with it..But as I'm reading other ppls stories I felt the need to give some advice. They "Crayon" smell is just a sign the cabin filter needs to be replaced..It actually never bothered me but of course it was a "suggested" replacement when I needed my air conditioner serviced because it wasnt cold..It just needed freon..But the Cabin filter is an inexpensive replacement if the smell bothers you. One day my engine light came on and the shop I brought it to said my whole catalytic converter needed to be changed based on the error message the diagnostc test gave. It was so costly I nearly started to cry..But I always call around and get other estimates & it turns out there was a recall on the switch that causes that sensor to go off.. A FREE change at the dealer. As I went to get an oil change last week, the shop told me I needed to change the front control arm on my car b/c the bushings were worn. As the LOOK of horror could be seen on my face, the mechanic advised there is a CHEAPER route & that was to just change the bushings since my control arms were not bent..(And why would they be, Ive never been in an accident or hit a curb too hard). But just an indication, they price on the bushings the repair ship gave was $112.56 EACH, and I just bought them for $11.56 ea, $25.00 WITH tax for 2.. My point of all this is...Don't believe anything a mechanic tells you! Their job is to make money prey on ppl that dont know any better!! i know nothing about cars much less German cars..Ive had American, Japanese and now German & I love the ride of my Jetta! Get second opinions and find a mechanic you can trust! Buy a maintenance bood and make easy replacements yourself! You'll save a boatload of money and you'll LOVE your Jetta as much as I do!
    Visitor, Richardson, TX, November 15, 2010 17:42
    This car, even though it is well taken care of, just seems to fall apart. I will never buy a VW again.
    Visitor, Ames, IA, November 15, 2010 17:41
    I have had to replace the clutch at 60,000 and now a broken wire in the driver side door wire harness. Can not open the gas door when wire broke so had to tear out the right side trunk paneling to manually open gas door. I understand that both the clutch and the harness are chronic problems, but VW offers no compensation and charges you FULL price for the parts. Over $1100 for the clutch parts and $195 for the harness.
    Anonymous4782, Spring, TX, October 28, 2010 16:47
    I've had my 2006 VW jetta GLI for going on 5 yrs it has had problems with it starting a month after I bought it with power steering going out. The dealership kept my car for 2 months for steering wheel replacement. I've had numerous electrical problems check engine lights going on and off the airbag lights going on and off pretty much every light in the car doing the same thing. VW has told me the same crap for the duration of the car. Sir it was caused by a phantom code. This time the phantom code caused the wiring harness to take a crap with only 71,000 miles on the car. With all regular scheduled maitanence done to the car. As a firefighter/medic I need reliability to get to work Volkswagen isn't it. I'm very dissatisfied from the service as well as dealing with the third party warranty for platinum coverage to 100,000 miles. Between VW and the warranty company I would say I've been ripped off alot frustration dealing with a car they don't want to do their jobs. How do you think people would react if I said I didn't want to do my job i wouldn't ever do that but pretty scary thought don't ya think? I have paid my car off total times in the shop over 30 times cost out of my own pocket even if you have warranty 108.00 every time the car is looked at not including the problem. Time missed from work cannot be replaced. I've found out it doesn't matter who you are people will still try and take advantage of others no matter what the cost. I for one will never buy a VW again.
    nat18466, Tobyhanna, PA, September 26, 2010 23:44
    Made in Mexico- windows fall down because of cheap glue meant to hold glass in the guide mechanism. fake chrome on shifter peeled off.Armrest clip broke -cheap. Seat adjust round lever broke off-cheap design. Transmission is terrible terrible crap.Stereo - AMFM antenna gone and knobs broke off -cheap knobs. Lights burn out fast brake etc. -cops love to pull you over so have your license and regi ready.
    Visitor, Amery, WI, September 21, 2010 10:02
    I am 48. I drive a lot and understand design and engineering to a certain degree. I have never had a car with so many little problems that were so expensive to fix nor have I dealt with a company so arrogant as VW. They finally admitted to the design flaw that caused the driver door wiring harness to fail but offered nothing, not even an apology. Good luck to you if yoiu own one of these.
    Visitor, Oklahoma City, OK, September 01, 2010 17:19
    bought it new. 2.0t package3 . the a/c is mid range, takes at least 10 mins.to cool on hot oklahoma days even with extra window tint. Seats are for short trips, lacking luxury padding. would not buy another. overall a 3 star rating
    Visitor, Fremont, MI, August 30, 2010 12:15
    great car,highway milage, 50 plus ,12000 miles,2010JSW Very nice interior.
    Visitor, Atlanta, GA, August 30, 2010 08:55
    I've had no problems with my Jetta and everyone compliments me on the looks. My brother is the only other person that has driven it and commented on the brakes being better than his Cadillac. Love it!
  • 2009 Volkswagen Jetta
    Visitor, Montgomery Village, MD, August 23, 2010 12:21
    As another new owner mentioned, the frills are kinda low, but it handles great. A true poor man's Bimmer. Some strange issues, the AC has recently been smelling like wet socks, had the original DSG hard shifting issues, TDI models have little to no options
    fsurroca, Longwood, FL, August 14, 2010 12:34
    Since I bought my Jetta 2.5 2007, I have not had any problems. It's been great! I traded in a 2004 Passat TDI (which I bought brand new), because the Jetta 2.5 2007 was nicer in every way! I was sold the moment I saw it.
    Visitor, Houston, TX, August 13, 2010 11:13
    Have this car since it was a baby (ie. new), now has 96k on it. It handles very good, I can get into tight places and make turns while accelerating. The engine sometimes feels like it wishes for a day off (not too much power on the 2.0L, I guess) but overall it's very reliable. The front bumper ground clearance could have been a bit higher though, I keep having problem with the bumper scratching the pavement that other sedans didn't seem to have problem with. The replacements from the original parts seem to be subpar quality even though they are "official parts from the factory". Had to replace the brakes at 60k, wheels at 50k or so. Front axle was replace about 3 years ago (probably my fault though). The cost of replace a CV outer rubber boot (last week) with the dealership is $240 ($200 is labor). Replaced the battery twice now (96k) at $110 each time. The interior couldn't hold up to the Houston summer heat (even though I used to have a Camry that interior held up well over 11 years), it started to melt the glue (?) that hold the fabric inside, now my top has a canopy feel about it, and the doors' fabric has fallen away and revealing the brown thing (glue?) inside. The dealership doesn't do "touch up" and would have just replace the whole entire top and doors, which is prohibitively expensive. I heard this happens to other VW and Audi cars too, so this might be an issue with the car's design itself and not just me parking my car outside at noon and no shade. Air conditioning could have been better, sometimes it takes a full 5 mins just to have cool air blowing (mechanic didn't think anything was wrong with it). I'm looking into upgrading, and the interior issue is a big thing for me so I'd probably not buying another VW until they fix that. Also, the 2-in-1 key is cool and convenient, but the replacement cost is way too much. And the lights seem to alternate and burn out every other week or so.
    Visitor, Sacramento, CA, August 04, 2010 13:23
    I ASK THAT ANYONE THAT HAS HAD ANY PROBLEM AND OWN THE A VW CALL 1-800-822-8987 VW OF AMERICA I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS WITH THIS CAR REPLACED ENGINE TRANSMISSION AND NOW FUSE BOX MELTED AND ALMOST BURNED MY WHOLE CAR UP ..VW SAYS NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE REPORT THE PROBLEM TO THEM SO THEY CAN RECALL... SO I AM PERSONALLY MAKING IT MY JOB FOR THE NEXT YEAR TO GIVE THIS # OUT TO ALL POSSIBLE ON THREADS SITES AND GOOGLE CALL IT IN PLEASE THELL WANT YOUR VIN AND NAME ! AND EVENTUALLY WE CAN ALL GET ARE RECALLS ON!!!!!!
    Visitor, Anaheim, CA, August 01, 2010 12:34
    Nice car so afr- the interior conveniences are pretty low though. The cup holders are in awkward place, the ipod dock can't be viewed as its located inside the center console, the stock radio is pretty lowsy and takes up the entire dashboard space for no reason. The CA Limited Edition Jetta eliminated the capability for sattelite radio or any other MP3 player accessibility. I had to go straight to Best Buy and replace the entire radio just to access my XM Radio and use my MP3 player in the car....expensive added cost and VW refused to upgrade the sorry stock radio. The general car seems to run well enough though.
    BelAirCarGuy, Bel Air, MD, July 31, 2010 13:01
    Just purchased a 2007 Jetta automatic for my college daughter. This was based on my 2009 Jetta automatic that I drive daily for work (company car). Excellent styling, handling, tight body, and peppy engine. The 2009 has 49,000 miles and is as tight and good driving as my 2009. Car has excellent seats, which are very comfortable for long drives of 6-8 hours. Huge trunk and very roomy back seat (I can sit and cross my legs, and I am 6 foot tall.
    Visitor, Phoenixville, PA, July 27, 2010 08:53
    I bought my 2008 jetta brand new, and loved this car. At 50,050 miles, 50 miles past warranty the air conditioning blew up and will cost $2,300 to fix. VW would offer no assistance since it was 50 miles beyond warranty. At the same time of the AC blowing up the from windows will no longer go down, which is awesome in this east coast heatwave.
    Visitor, Atlanta, GA, July 23, 2010 10:12
    I am so sick of VW I will never buy another VW again, everyone is having the same issues and they will not recall, its always something with this car, I should have bought a Honda
    Visitor, Lacey, WA, July 21, 2010 12:41
    Love my car, bu the poor thing is falling apart. I just got a new key reader and dash cluster (dash computer)... this is only the beginning. I love her so much though!
    Visitor, Philadelphia, PA, July 21, 2010 12:00
    This car sucks. I've had it for 4 years. It's left me sitting, I've replaced the axel joints twice, and now the catalytic converter is out. MONEY PIT. BUY JAPAN!
    Visitor, University Place, WA, July 15, 2010 17:32
    1.8 Turbo Jetta Wagon Made in Germany, runs like a fine clock. 88K miles, no problems.
    kwtweet, Greenville, OH, July 13, 2010 10:42
    have had nothing but trouble with engine since purchasing
    marlabrown, Winter Springs, FL, July 10, 2010 19:31
    I bought my 5 speed TDI when the new body style came out in 2005. I knew it would be a long -term car and had owned a few Passats in my past. The car is still a wonderful beautiful car and my mileage is unbelievable, of course.I have 80000 miles on the sweet thing and I love driving it.
  • 1997 Volkswagen Jetta
    Visitor, Reseda, CA, July 05, 2010 21:34
    It drives good but there is no room enough inside. the air conditioning does not work properly.
  • 1992 Volkswagen Jetta
    jeffweeks, Plano, TX, June 26, 2010 10:35
    Is this car able to shift into a gear without the car running or stepping on the brake.
    Visitor, Knoxville, TN, June 23, 2010 10:12
    Generally like this car. Water pump and brake issues. Like the feel and handling.
    Visitor, Hatboro, PA, June 13, 2010 16:06
    Interesting car. Oil changes are expensive. Def has get up and go. A/C is not the best. Seat heaters make up for chilly mornings. Takes forever it cool at 89+. So far no issues in winter. Rips down 95 and keeps up with the beamers and other lux cars. So far I love it. Had it for 3 years now and no major issues. Will see after she comes out of warranty.
    Visitor, Rowland Heights, CA, June 08, 2010 07:41
    I gave this car a low rating on interior because unlike my previous Prius it has very little storage or convenience holders. My radio has had continuous problems when switching from Sirius to AM. In the switch I will often just get static. They have replaced the amplifier but still some problem. I took it back and they could not replicate the problem. They asked me to make a note of where I am when it does it again. Waiting to see. Volkswagen service mgr. told me I might have to live with the problem. I assured him I would not. A Volkswagen rep told me it was my problem. Really!!
  • 1990 Volkswagen Jetta
    Visitor, New Oxford, PA, May 25, 2010 05:54
    I bought this car for 500 dollars. since then i have put in low compression pistons and added a turbo kit. interior is in mint condition. 2 1000 watt 10" pioneer subwoofers, 1000 watt sony xplod amp, and 2 rockford fosgate punches mids. very fast little car. all brake lines were rusted out and needed repaired but that is the only repairs needed. 5 speed. best car i have ever owned.
    Mr.Mayday, Covington, GA, May 13, 2010 00:20
    Bought it used 4yrs ago and spent $0 on repairs it cost me more in speeding tickets than anything else. Just a fun little car that handles great, good.on gas. Top Speed-125mph not bad for the 2.0L-Only bad thing is my wife keeps buggin me to give her car back.
    Visitor, Clinton, NC, May 11, 2010 18:21
    I have a 2002 VW jetta 1.8T. Have already put in another motor.Now the sorry thing has a leak somewhere.All the antifreeze blowed out of it all over the hood,engine and wherever else it could go. Try to put water in it just to see where the leak is coming from. The water will not stay in the reservoir. It cranks but won't keep water or antifreeze in it long enough to see where the leak is. This car costs too much to keep running. I won't buy another one.
    Visitor, Las Vegas, NV, April 28, 2010 12:46
    Continuos electrical problems. Many problems have been brought up to VW but they have a big lack of concern. Engine coils, Electrical shorts, leaks. This car of mine just caught fire. Ill never own another VW.
    Visitor, Castaic, CA, April 23, 2010 14:32
    Just like several posts down - I bought a 2001 Jetta 2.0 L GLS for my teen daughter. The car hasn't been the most reliable car I've ever own. Headlight lamps ($200 each), had to be replaced not because they burned out... but because the UV rays from the Sun fogged up the plasic lens covering. Cooling Fans, alternators, AC compressor, and the battery needed to be replaced and seemed to wear out faster than they should. At 95000, just had to spend $2500 to rebuild the top half of the engine. The Chain Tensioner failed... which caused the chain to hop several teeth on the cam, causing a piston to slap an exhaust value. Driver door window motor replaced twice, along with the window lift assembly (actuator), rear bulbs are a monthy replacement deal, and that crayon smell is from the wax sealant in the doors and undercoating (for sound and moisture seal) melts during the summer. Stinks up the car (no matter how many airfresheners you put in it) and runs down the driveway. Guess German engineering... is NOT made for 115 degrees in the shade in southern California. Although I like the safety (side airbags) and the safety cage (tank-like) body, I won't buy another VW... ever.
    Visitor, Woodridge, IL, April 15, 2010 07:10
    I have 2010 from November 2009 and i love it. I dont like loud engine noise at the begining but it is mentioned by factory it is needed for cat converter to heat up.. Also i dont like CD player that it takes about 30sec. to start to play if you put your own mp3 burned cd... Other that that i LOVE IT and going from 2000 Jetta to this one - you feel a need to change a car :)
    Visitor, Saint Paul, MN, April 08, 2010 02:33
    Ok i got this 2002 jetta 1.8T and it makes this loud knocking noise when I'm sitting but when i start to drive it stops WTF???
    Visitor, Medina, OH, March 31, 2010 08:43
    Bought my Jetta with 26 miles on it - currently has more than 125,000 and running well. Only major work I've had done has been the catalytic converter and wheel bearings. The original brakes lasted over 80,000 miles. Wish I would have bought leather seats, but aside from that, it is a great car for me. (Also rather amusing to watch tall people attempt to cram into the back seat, but that's just an added bonus)
    John G., Bourbonnais, IL, March 28, 2010 20:31
    I realize this VW Jetta Se has only 350+ miles ,but I have been wanting this car for ten years.The reason now is better due to great reviews I have read this time around for VW. If you look to the past you will find many problems Jetta went through. There is nothing on my new Jetta that I would change at this time, what a great ride!
    Visitor, San Diego, CA, March 28, 2010 17:45
    Bought used in 2005 at 45,000 miles. Has 97,000 miles now (2010) and the only thing that I've had a problem with is the water pump. It went out once and I had it replaced. Then it went out again 2 years later, but I think that was probably due to the mechanic not properly inserting it. It wouldn't have been such a big deal if it hadn't cost about $400 both times it went out. No other major issues except it seems to loose about half a quart of oil between oil changes. I've read and heard from many people that this is a normal "issue" for 2003 jetta's so I just deal with it (I use lucas oil treatment along with the oil and it seems to help). It's been a very good car for these last 5 years and hopefully it will continue for years to come.
    Visitor, Salt Lake City, UT, March 25, 2010 09:32
    I would not buy a Jetta or VW again. I have had many repairs, including broken clips on both front windows, cat converter, window moter , hub caps (fall off easily), window seals leak, tail lights burn out often, etc. My car is truly a lemon.
  • 1994 Volkswagen Jetta
    FthisBeaterCar, Mammoth Lakes, CA, March 21, 2010 12:18
    I'd sell it for parts if the parts were worth anything...
    Nick2652, Manchester, NH, March 18, 2010 21:20
    I have had the car for 18 months and have put 60,000 miles on it. I love driving the car when its running correctly. The problem is it doesnt run correctly very often. I recently had to have an alternator replaced ($580.00), Timing Belt and Water Pump ($400), the list could go on but ill leave it at that. Also anyone that has this car read this: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/recall/vw2.htm
    zeekwas, Fresno, CA, March 13, 2010 08:56
    This car has been great to me. Bought it used still with factory warranty and had a complete inspection prior to it running out. The only things that needed to be done is blow out the drian line for the sunroof and replace the rear seat arm rest. The interor smelled until I changed the cabin air filter which was a little hard to find the first time but easy to do. The only I dislike about my jetta is the sound system, it pops and snaps. I know that I need to replace the speakers, just suprised so soon. Overall a great car!
    KateRI, Woonsocket, RI, March 09, 2010 09:41
    I LOVE the suspension and steering! Heavy, road hugging. Great pickup and go. Head light goes on and off. NE winters are cold and so is my car for the first 6 miles....then I feel the heat!!! I have even used a small blanket to and from work when temperature is in the teens. As soon as the warrentee was up, my driver side door had electrical problem. Master door with all the controls went hay wire. Cost over $700.00 to repair. Today as I type this my car has been towed to the dealer ship. Something popped in the engine. Engine light came on. My car felt like it was traveling over railroad tracks and exhaused filled the car and smoke came pouring out the tail pipes. I'm on pins and needles waiting for the call from the repair shop.
    anne r, Miller, MO, February 28, 2010 18:00
    My first and last volkswagen! I researched carefully and thought there might be electrical problems (there were many + cruise failed twice and very expensive to repair I finally gave up on 3rd failure). I wanted a diesel engine for the higher mileage and fuel savings. I serviced it meticulously at VW dealership (timing belt, all servicing done right on schedule). Car engine dropped a valve at 180,000 km left me and my young children stranded in the middle of a packed 6 lane highway (needed emergency rescue to exit car to safety). VW offered nothing except offer to let me buy another new car from them (no deals)...I bought this car brand new and always VW serviced it...expected a lot more. I always had Hondas before and they were still running like a charm (no oil even being used) at 240,000 km+ with a gasoline engine. I have since heard that one can expect anything with VW made after 2004....German engineering made in Mexico is not the same. VW is a great little car as long as you do not mind buying it several times over and over and over again!
    CAllegel, San Marcos, CA, February 24, 2010 13:27
    I HATE this car!!! Have spent thousands on it! I have had it 3 years and something is always going wrong. Fuel pump problems, electrical, fuse, lights, AC and wheel bearing issues. It only has 56k miles.
    UnKnown Name, Peoria, IL, January 15, 2010 14:19
    My Jetta is great. I have had it forever and not many problems ever go on. It is easy to drive and maintain.
    slomoshn, Riverside, CA, January 14, 2010 17:37
    I bought this car on Monday before Christmas. I'm starting to believe that I have made a terrible mistake. I saved all year while riding the bus to classes at Cal State. I should have done my homework. Three days after getting it the check engine light came on and the transmission started to shift erratically, then it wouldn't go into 4th gear. The dealer made the repairs at no cost. The next day after getting it back the check engine light came on again, this time the engine has a sort of sputter when intially starting and today the coolant light started to beep. When I checked the bowl the level fluid started to bubble to the top, so I quickly closed the cap and went back into my apartment. Oh my God, what have I done?
    csmith31525, Brunswick, GA, January 06, 2010 08:26
    Love my car but she costs me a fortune!
  • 1994 Volkswagen Jetta
    stylinmama21, Los Angeles, CA, January 03, 2010 22:14
    This car is a peice of crap! We bought this car used about 2 weeks ago and right as I write this it is in the shop being "fixed". We had the car for about 4 days when it left myself and my 7 week old son and my 4 year old son on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere in minus 35. When we first got the car we were excited b/c we always wanted a Diesel car. We even laughed about the ALL the electrical problems: 1. The heat only works on high. So it's off or full bore. 2. The heat only works if the headlights are on. 3. There are no low beams only high beams. 4. The only way to turn the headlights on is to pull the lowbeam/highbeam switch and jam a pen behind it. 5. Can only make left turns as the right turn signal lights don't work. 6. When making left turns if you turn on the signal light the pen falls out no there's no lights and no heat. 7.We have power window, not windows, WINDOW, but at least it's the drivers window. 8. Sometimes we can't get out of the car and have to repeatedly pull the handles very hard till it works. 9. Doesn't like to go into second gear. 10. Water pump failure is what left us on the road. That said for some reason we still love this little car, but we won't be taking it very far from home until we can have a VW dealership look at it. As it is we live 2 hours away from the nearest one so we'll wait until summer lol. Oh,and we live in Canada not LA but you need a Zip Code to fill this thing out. lol
    Kristospherein, Raleigh, NC, August 13, 2009 18:43
    My wife bought a Toyota Camry at the same time and it stacks up fairly similar to hers. The only problems I've had with it is that the heating in the winter time takes FOREVER to get going. It's a challenge to not fog up the inside of the windows when it's extremely muggy outside. Also, the plastic on the radio buttons started bubbling up and essentially tore off after only a year and a half of having the car. No major problems, at least not through 65K.
    pietro, Summerville, SC, August 11, 2009 06:14
    no problems
    glaciergal, Zanesville, OH, August 04, 2009 13:54
    Great car!! I have a 2001 Jetta TDI and the only problems I've encountered are the cheap plastic clips that hold the windows up...they WILL break! I read a review about this before I bought mine, and sure enough my driver-door window fell down into my door about six months after I bought my Jetta! Brake, tail, and headlights seem to "burn" out quite frequently, but are an easy repair. Also the air mass flow filter needed replaced at about 100,000 miles..made my car have no pick-up or power at all! Try to get that fixed while you still have a warranty!! Honestly though I have no complaints and would buy VW again. Oh yea, and my car smelled like crayons forever!!!
    paruj, Fargo, ND, July 26, 2009 10:44
    i like it, just dont know where i could it fixed if anything were to go wrong
    kkutzer, Monmouth, OR, July 21, 2009 17:49
    love the T.D.I. but it's too low in the front. It catches on curbs.
  • 1992 Volkswagen Jetta
    petyosk, Edmonds, WA, June 22, 2009 14:16
    For its age, my 92 Jetta is holding up fairly well. I did have a very annoying and internmittent problem with starting for awhile, and after much time and energy discovered that someone along the line had removed the heat shield for the starter and it had burned out. It burns a little oil, but really none the worse for wear.
  • 1997 Volkswagen Jetta
    GO2JARED, Blacklick, OH, May 18, 2009 10:13
    I bought my 97 VW Jetta GLS used a little over a week ago from a mechanic. He had replaced the transmission (as I understand is a relatively common problem with these cars). I downgraded to this car from a 98 Acura Integra GSR. The first day, the check engine light came on. The second day, the distributor failed. The 3rd day, the sunroof stopped working (bad fuse...easy fix). The 4th day, the tail pipe fell off. When I have had the opportunity to drive the car, it runs good. The seats aren't all that comfortable and the car is a little "boxy" looking, inside and out. It's an "ok" car overall, but considering the relatively lower mileage (129k) for it's age, it should hold up a little better. It's clear now that previous owners did not care as much about maintenance as I do. My only advice to potential buyers is to get a reputable mechanic to check it out first...engine, exhaust, electrical parts. Push every button, more than once. This will likely be the last German car I buy, even though I am from German roots. I'll stick with Honda's and Acura's. The Japanese seem better at building quality cars, with exception to typical rust that seems to easily develop.
    Drillman09, Dallas, TX, May 02, 2009 08:19
    Regular maintenance is the key. That which has worn out, or gone bad has been minimal for us. It's our third Jetta going back to 1986. Second Jetta saved my life in a rollover accident. (Deer in the road) We love the car, but HATE inconsiderate scum that can't/won't watch their door opening technique. You know who you are, and I hope all of the cars you ever drive are piles of junk!
    jvc, Houston, TX, April 14, 2009 10:47
    TDI. 86K miles. Lifetime avg. gas mileage 47 mpg. Town 43 - Hwy 50+. Only negative was in front spoiler design - too low clearance so that catches on objects such as concrete parking stops resulting in detaching spoiler from body. newer models appear to have corrected this deficiency. Had to replace malfunctioning radio under 50K warranty. Glow plugs replaced at 68K miles. Good car!
    misfit77, Forestdale, RI, April 09, 2009 02:42
    i bought my jetta with 50k. replaced coil packs which is expected with the milage i have now. also some evap system hoses. other than typical repair this car is solid, fun, comfortable, and oh yea my 20valve 1.8 turbo is fast.
    AdjusterMom, Rockledge, FL, April 08, 2009 22:12
    Bought this car used 7 months ago for our teenage daughter. Liked the idea of side airbags, and she loved the sunroof. First time we had it towed, cost $700 for a new fuel pump. Second time it was towed was for a broken axle. Third trip to the garage cost us another $200. Sunroof no longer works, door panels keep coming loose, headliner falling. The catalytic converter needs to be replaced, and I can't afford it. Inside was filthy when we got it and I thought we could clean it up with no problem, but absolutely nothing will clean the vinyl - its sticky and gross. Have tried commercial cleaners, soap & water, goo gone, alcohol. And, like an earlier post said, ours smells like crayons, too. I'm disappointed in my purchase and we're going to sell it because I can't afford the upkeep. Its not the reliable car that I thought I was getting.
    randyg, Mount Airy, GA, March 14, 2009 05:18
    just had problems with engine studdering turns out vw doesnt like e3 sparkplugs and the electrical system SUCKS
    bam, Helotes, TX, February 20, 2009 08:06
    Having persistent problems with electric system. It's as if there is a ghost in there. Hazard lights go off at will - windshield washer comes on once every other day - and not a drop of rain falling here in south Texas! Have had to replace the CD/Radio three times . Knobs fall off the seat control.... But I love this car--am fortunate to have an excellent VW dealer.
    Cabinboy62, Upper Darby, PA, January 05, 2009 17:30
    I have had this car for over a month now. It is difficult to regulate the heat inside the vehicle. The climate control is very sensitive. It goes from cold to hot too easily. There seems to be no middle. Everything else is just great. A little more expensive to service than I had anticipated, but still a VW lover.
    ray.chad, Caledonia, MI, December 22, 2008 09:00
    The car burns an excessive amount of oil (a quart every week or two). There are many problems wrong with the electrical system, recently the brakelights turn on by themselves after the car is shut off and it has killed the battery. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR EVER!
    kmccormick, Austin, TX, November 19, 2008 08:11
    CONS: - Body style with low clearance front bumper is easy to tear off and not easy to repair - Interior hardware is flimsy. Passenger and driver side chairs have both broken in the past. Dashboard knobs have fallen off. - The car has its own smell that has changed over time. Friends have told me my car smells like crayons (especially when it's hot outside), and that it could be due to the disintegration of the tint glue. PROS: - For the most part, the car has been reliable in the areas where it really counts - I like the Monsoon default sound system - It's small and nimble and is easy to park and drive
    sarahe, Laguna Beach, CA, November 03, 2008 20:34
    I drove a 2000 Jetta for 6 years and it never gave me one problem. With regular oil changes and maintenance, this car ran great. It never even had any of the electrical issues that many Volkswagons tend to have! Great car.
    Chris_1, Atlanta, IN, October 24, 2008 13:58
    I've returned religiuosly to the dealership with a rear defroster issue that is now causing the fuse box to catch fire and melt. The car has been in 8 times for the same problem and I have contacted VW directly and am still waiting on a response.
    sun2275, Houston, TX, October 08, 2008 15:41
    overall good car except for the electrical system
  • 1990 Volkswagen Jetta
    spyder, Oakland, CA, October 03, 2008 14:08
     Journeyman
    This has a pretty good bread and butter sort of car.Not exciting at all , but it runs and runs.Fairly comfortable , not a great performer , but easy enough to keep up.The interior shows its age , I put tires on it now and again.Biggest expense has been timing belt and water pump replacement.A/C went south awhole back but still a good daily driver.