Reviews for Volkswagen GTI years:

Volkswagen GTI Reviews and Owner Comments

Volkswagen GTIOwner Reviews (18 reviews)
  • 2006 Volkswagen GTI
    Visitor, Cincinnati, OH, March 07, 2013 09:03
    Interior: Front seat (drivers) bolsters to high (causing wear), back seat ash tray from center console came out, many plastic switch parts had paint chip off (even though car is not parked in sun). At base of front buckets seats, electric access panels have never stayed in place. Brakes - excellent - original at 60K Electric and lights - Fair - brake bulks don't last long and a pain to get out. Inside, front door (open/close) replaced, as over head console light replaced - electrical issues. Engine - Good, but thermostat failed - $1300 replace really? Exhaust/Emissions - only fair - Catalytic converter failed at 50K thankfully under warranty. Heating/AC - other than thermostat issue mentioned above okay. Suspension/Steering - while I love handling of car, in winter, even when car was a few years old - a lot of creaks and groans in cold weather. Really?
    Visitor, Hamilton, OH, January 24, 2012 11:44
    This car has been amazing to have. I feel like its super sexy and makes me stand out from my friends lame looking, no power car. However, its getting fairly old and I'm having lots of issues with it in the cold. Last summer I paid around 700 to fix the a/c and now my heat isn't getting very warm this winter. I had to fix vacuum leaks the only day and a broken glove box for 400 dollars. the oil changes are super high but I only change it every 4k. Recently its had a rough idle when I start it and sometime its rough when I idle even at a stop light, almost as if it wants to shut off. I'd be super pissed if I had to get rid of this car. I love how it looks and how fast it can go, but I'm unemployed right now and this car makes me want to cry lately.
  • 2003 Volkswagen GTI
    Visitor, Boston, MA, October 25, 2011 13:39
    I drive a 2003 GTI V6, and am very happy with this car, which is very fun to drive. It has a lot of power, and very responsive handling. My only recurring problem has been the thermostat, which has gone 3 times (twice under warrantee.) My car has only 60,000 miles on it and I expect to keep it another 60,000. Lately have been less happy with the suspension, which has gotten rough, but it's worth replacing the struts to keep it longer.
    Visitor, Montclair, CA, July 12, 2011 15:28
    My girlfriend has a 2008 GTI 4 door automatic. After 2 years we noticed the car would always have a little trouble starting almost like the battery was drained. Also at idle the car acted like it would shut off it was very rough. Then a noise from the front passenger side wheel began to happen. It sounded like a loud coffee maker. Today she took it in for her regular oil change and the mechanic explained the turbo is damaged and needs to be replaced. She only has 59,600 miles!!! She always changes her oil every 3k miles. I knew to stay away from VW's after visiting www.myvwlemon.com but now I know for sure to stay away. My 2003 Acura CL w/108k miles has never had 1 problem.
  • 2000 Volkswagen GTI
    Visitor, Auburn, WA, May 29, 2011 12:21
    I have mixed feelings on this car.. I love how it drives, handles and responds to the road. I HATE fixing them-parts are expensive, seem made to break and it's laborious to do even the simplest jobs. I've sunk over $5k into this piece of sh*t, and it only has 66k miles on it. I think I got stuck with a lemon, but considering how unreliable VWs seem to be I won't ever buy another one.
  • 2002 Volkswagen GTI
    chrystoff, Mount Vernon, NY, January 06, 2011 21:35
    After reading all the reveiws about the GTI's mentioned here, I honestly cannot believe all the negative remarks & complaints. I LOVE MY GTI, & would definately purchase one again. I live in the suburbs of N.Y.C. & this car gets me all over the 5 boroughs, at a quick, responsive, thrill-to-drive rate.Let's face it people, ALL vehicles are an expense to own, but this car is an all around winner...Chrystofur
  • 1996 Volkswagen GTI
    Visitor, Portland, OR, November 11, 2010 17:33
    this 1996 gti is great i had no really problem,maintance is key
    TBdub1, Boca Raton, FL, August 17, 2010 08:19
    @Dough in La... I dont see how youve had all those problems and u cant seem to fix them! I have a 2001 gti has 137,000 miles on it and its in GREAT condition.. maybe it was just taken care of really well i got when it had 122,000 on it... so far its just been regular maintenance, oil changes etc.. and the engine runs fine.. i recently need to replace the thermostat housing (common to leak on volkswagens) and the drive belt that was worn.. but thats it for major concerns.. I think as long as u take care of them they will run forever!
    Visitor, Leesburg, VA, August 02, 2010 14:04
    Great car. Just got 60k mile service cost a little over $500 everything included. Thanks Lindsay!!! - 2007 GTI
  • 2000 Volkswagen GTI
    Visitor, Bloomsburg, PA, April 21, 2010 19:48
    great car
  • 2008 Volkswagen GTI
    Visitor, Navarre, FL, April 15, 2010 13:26
    My husband bought this car because everyone ranked it as a best buy...but we have been really disappointed with this car. From poor VW dealership/parts shops. To the VW policy that they are okay with the GTI burning a quart of oil every 1000 miles!? VW has also been delaying the release of a new diagonostic reader to tell if the engine is running properly. (We've been asking our local dealership for months- and they didn't even have an idea when the would be receiving it) We are never buying VW again and we advice anyone interested in buying a new car not to buy VW.
  • 2003 Volkswagen GTI
    gtiblue, Council Bluffs, IA, September 04, 2009 11:33
    I chose the GTI over a Mini of the same year when looking for a good used car. I wanted something small and sporty that wouldn't have kids trying to race me all the time since I just got rid of a Eclipse and Avenger. Mine has everything premium except the 6 disc changer for some reason. My interior is more luxurious than my nephews 05 Caddy. The car is 6 years old now and it still smells brand new when you get into it. My exterior looks almost just like the picture here. Same color with a hatch spoiler and some aftermarket rims that are just sportier and more dynamic than the stock- which aren't bad at all. The drive is great. Quiet and comfortable. When you want the power it's there and sounds cool when the turbo kicks in. Now- the bad: I've had this car since February of 07 and have had goofy little problems with lights burning out and such. Nothing I couldn't just fix myself in 5 minutes. But one day I got a temp light and have had problems since. I replaced thermostat and temp sensor. Bypassed the heatercore. Got the cooling system flushed. Got the system diagnosed. Noone could see a problem. Had my water distribution valve replaced after it blew up on me. All kinds of problems just in my cooling system. I've worked on all my cars from Nissans to Fords but this one I just need to hand over to the dealership and suffer the ridiculously high prices. The car is great but expect the problems typical for it's year and expect to pay ALOT to get them fixed. I have babied mine but you can't prevent everything.
    weirddon, Seffner, FL, April 12, 2009 05:58
    This car has had zero problems in the 21 month of ownership. I love the the overall performance. It is a real joy to drive. It gets very good mileage (average: 26 mpg), sound great when you goose it, ride quality is smooth & quiet, and it looks good.
  • 2006 Volkswagen GTI
    SteelerChick, Annandale, VA, March 11, 2009 08:11
    This is one terrific vehicle and an absolute joy to drive. I've had only maintenance work done in 3 years. It's low maintenanance but parts can be expensive, especially tires. We'll see how it does in year 4.
  • 2008 Volkswagen GTI
    acurax, Arcadia, CA, February 20, 2009 23:24
    I love it! Everything is perfect from the back windshield wiper going on when it detects water when you back up to everything! lol
    Doug in LA, Los Angeles, CA, January 27, 2009 10:58
    I love to say I drive a GTI VR6 but the reality is...it sucks. I have had so many problems with this vehicle. I've replaced the clutch twice. The serpentine belt broke. The headlights and blinkers are constantly not working. No repair shop has been able to figure it out. Agh! I hear the 2008's are much improved but the 2001 really sucks. (When it's working though....I love the big engine.)
  • 2005 Volkswagen GTI
    fernando, San Francisco, CA, December 22, 2008 10:17
    I like driving the Volkswagen GTI, the Tiptronic Automatic Transmission is fun to drive. Nice interior, great response, good brakes. Something to be careful of is that you better replace the engine oil and filter every 3,000 miles to keep the engine in good condition. Easy to park in San Francisco. The 4-Cyl. 1.8L Turbo is a gas saver 24-31 MPG.
  • 1990 Volkswagen GTI