Volkswagen Reviews

Volkswagen Reviews and Owner Comments

Excellent car, just passed 100,000 miles in its 10th year. This manual diesel engine is just getting started. Consistently delivers 45-50 miles to the gallon and 550-600 miles to a tank.
Welp ladies and gents after reading all of the reviews I felt compelled to share. I purchased 2012 Volkswagon CC with 29k miles..,certified pre owned. Everything seemed to going well with the car until the tires started feathering and making noise. Swapped them out for another set of continental tires and the problem still existed. Finally purchased versado noir tires for this vehicle and they are simply amazing!!! No road noise. Etc etc.. Now on to what drove me to write this review. Engine misfire. Initially my mechanic thought it was the spark plugs so I swapped out all 4 thinking it solve the issue. Not a chance. Check engine light back on within a week. Fuel injector failure.....Cylinder #3. Warranty Repair covered up to 120k miles. Dealer only replaced 1 but one would think they would have replaced all 4 injectors instead of 1 considering this is the common complaint on the CC. In addition. The dealer recommended a carbon clean to the tune of $450....why? If the warranty cover this cost to replace the injector why jack up the price when you already have the manifold out of the car!!!!! Wtf, I declined the due to cost and feeling taken advantage of. BIG mistake.... Two weeks later check engine light back on and as soon as I walk in they said. "See I told you get the injectors cleaned but now it's going cost you 1k for the repair versus the original $450 we quoted. Not willing to accept defeat and the new found expensive price I reached out to Vw customer customer and they and became my advocate to help me negotiate a much cheaper price. Final cost $300 plus the my original diagnostic investment. Overall, from what I've read I don't think Ive experienced that last of misfires and check engine light. I'm seriously Considering walking away before my car reaches 60k miles. Moral of this story if your think the dealer is treating you unfairly report them Vw customer care and let them fight your battles. Btw, did I mention I've had to replace multiple headlight and trunk bulbs....ugh.b lol

If anyone reads this review pls take heed to the comments and consider buying a different vehicle. Might save you stress, anxiety and money in the long run over misfire repairs.
I recently purchased a 2008 GTI and could not be any happier with its performance. Decent fuel effeciency is not sacrificed by having a turbocharged engine. I can get where I need to go both quickly and economically. Of course, it is also a good-looking car, with many standard features lacking on comparable vehicles. Anyone who wants a smooth, sexy ride that is fast and fun, yet still quite utilitarian should consider acquiring a GTI.
I am looking to purchase a CC Sport 2012 this weekend with 90k miles on it. Am I making a mistake????
I bought this car when it was three years old. The first two years it was low maintenance but then things started go wrong. I'm not sure if dumping $5000 into a car in 5 years would be considered excessive but it is likely more than all the other cars I've owned in 36 years put together. The brakes had to be done at 35,000 miles, which might be quite early. They also scared me that year when they said the turbo needed to be replaced but in the end it was sticky linkage. Although, that might me consider selling it. I have had nagging emissions control issues, which I've spent over $2000 on and some other leaks. The car is also rusting quite a bit now, although large parts of that are due to accidents the previous owner had with it (and, hence, Volkswagen won't cover). I am considering undergoing some sort of rust sealant to hold the thing together longer. The leather interior is holding up well.

On the hand, other than the turbo scare, nothing major has cropped up and it has never left me stranded. The DSG has been reliable but I'm told that it will soon be time for a scheduled maintenance on that. As notorious as Volkswagen is for electronics, nothing has failed so far. The heating/airconditioning is marginal–two things that are significant to me living in the extreme weather of the prairies–but have not required any maintenance.

I am at 50,000 miles now. Should I keep it? It has been my favourite car to own so far as fun factor and versatility. I also have invested in aluminum winter wheels and tires for it and the rooftop bike carrier for my bike fleet. I am crap-shooting that I spent so much on it already that I might have fixed the lemon issues by now. I can't afford a new GTI/R to get a warranty and would have to buy some boring, reliable car to replace it :(
Some of the repairs that were needed. Cv boots, flex pipe, engine speed sensor, water pump, engine temperature sensor, evap valve, ignition coils, abs control module & speed sensor.
My very first car: a 2006 VW Beetle. About 101,000 on it when I bought it. I got into a small fender bender back in early April that required me to change the headlight and replace the front bumper. No problems. Except this is November now.And I am still having issues. Replacing the headlight took several months (because the first headlight replacement fell out in traffic on the feeder) and I still often get pulled over because it's gone out, and I have to demonstrate to the police that I have to either push or kick it back into place. I am constantly coming out of pocket for repairs - so often that I can't afford to pay off the car, nor can I save up any money for anything else. By now, I've paid more in repairs than the worth of the car itself. Nobody wants to do anything to try and do extensive repairs on it except for Volkswagen dealerships (which I can't afford). A mechanic actually told me that I essentially punched a hole in my wallet by purchasing a Volkswagen, because once they start having issues, they just keep piling up and never go away. I can't see myself ever purchasing one again, much less recommending one to a friend.
I have a 2011 Jetta TDI, turbo went out at 103,000 cost ~$1100 the particulate filter is about to need replace, cost near ~$1200 for just filter, timing belt kit ~250-$380 w/ water pump, recommended. All this only estimated cost. The labor cost for these works approximately $4000. So all together you are looking to pay about $7000-$8000 for these services. These issue my come one after the other closely after the 100000 miles. Before this millage point no single issue with my car. I would say this mileage your car worth about $9-12K I am not sure how anyone can justify paying these high maintenance cost, which comes after each other or altogether. VW does not document all this hidden expensive services. I would say if the car was originally was about $100K this maintenance cost might be expectable, but not for this category car. I have not mentioned the $300-$400 cost every 40KMiles forth e transmission. So think twice before you buy these and might be other VWs. I would recommend looking Toyota or Honda. Good luck.
Currently driving my #7 Beetle ! And proud of it at 70 ! All the Beetles I've purchased for myself and my children over the years have been WONDERFUL. I currently drive a 2002 Beetle hatchback. I've read the comments and complaints, may I suggest. .....Research and find a reliable repair shop. Do ALL THE maintance as scheduled, use the CORRECT gas, oil and such. Maintain and care for your car. Don't let things go. I've had brand new cars and I've had some neglected wrecks. The secret is to maintain and care for your car, regardless of where it was made. Car care is like raising children. ..keep a close eye, work together, don't let things go, show lots of love and appreciate.
I bought my car from a private owner and my car has many problems like it ac fans or need new front fan both of them, needs a transmission,need passenger Door handle, needs abs ligth repair, brake fluid have be flush out, left signal light need to be repair, Driver side bearing need repair,driver side door handle need be repair. inside fabric needs be replace. front windshield needs be replace.What I know I Love my car once you get things fix repair they work wonderful. I got the AC fix i turn the ac on it is Ice Cold in my car and i have too sometimes turn the AC off because I am cold or freezing in my car and the more I get things fix the better the car drive.Most repairs price ranges at $200.00 dollars to $300.00 dollars a repair. So if you do not like spending this kind of money on car repair do not buy this car.
This year and model assembled in Mexico. The plastic dry rots in the interior and cracks. All plastic interior is falling apart. Every time I have work done on the engine it comes back with broken parts, mostly plastic pieces that hold components together. Even doing minor repairs such as changing a headlight requires delicate surgery to prevent plastic parts from cracking. The head needed replaced because the timing belt broke slipped. If you buy a VW make sure it was assembled in Germany or America.
My 6spd manual 2012 CC now has 125k miles on it and going strong. A few key maintenance events outside the typical. Hoping to get another year out of it. I follow the "standard" VW maintenance schedule (but not always at the dealership depending on the services)

- 55000, 5/9/13, new Michelin Pilot Sport tires

- 73913, 11/22/13, Sudden EPC, rough engine, MIL. Replaced faulty cylinder #2 coil and all spark plugs

- 74110, 12/7/13, Sporadic rear lamp function. Replace trunk wiring harness

- 81000, 2/20/14, Replace manifold due to vacuum leak, check engine light (under warranty)

- 115000, 3/17/15, Replace tires with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3

- 121827, 5/15/15, Sudden EPC and MIL (no other symptoms), high pressure fuel pump parts and labor ($689). Also, front/rear shocks starting to leak per dealership.
I bought the car 02/07/15 and like 3 months later had to be towed to dealer for catalic converter to be changed. It was deffective. Three weeks later had to be towed again for a fuel injector to me changed. It took the dealer about a week to repair, but after that its been good. I guess, if its man made it can't be perfect.
I own a 2010 CC bought new which has had multiple problems in and out of warranty. The engine flywheel had to be replaced because of a noise with my manual transmission. My intake manifold was replaced once under warranty and again later out of warranty because of a sensor failure. Despite using only premium fuel, the engine valves needed to be cleaned manually after two different types of induction cleaning failed. The main engine seal then went and flooded my transmission. This meant that I needed to fix the seal and change the clutch. Now I am unable to fill the gas tank with fuel because the venting system failed and the car is currently in the shop getting a new gas tank. And yes, I've also had the problem with tires that cup and start making noises.
260.000 miles on this commuter car,bought in 2010 with 81.000 miles on it. We are on the 3. turbo replacement, 1. one died at 120.000 2. one died at 220.000 miles.Replacement cost for both about 4,500$. Computer on steering rack died at 250.000, 2,500$ repair.Driver door wiring harness broke at 90.000 miles cost 500$.All in all it is sad the all the $$ we save in fuel have been spend on repairs that should not have had occurred. Our little 96 Vw Golf is still running strong with 250.000 miles on it.Never had those kinds of issues. It seems that the newer the model for VW the lower the quality of construction. It is disappointing because we thought we bought German quality engineering...
car has automatic transmission. For this reason, the starter is hidden under the exhaust manifold and burns out about every 25/30 thousand miles. At about 130.000 miles, hit a maintenance period in wear, with radiator replacement/starter replacement/water pump leakage/idle air control valve replacement. The on board computer can only be read by a VW/MB and BMW dealer.

The car is a Mexico build and quality is not up to German standards. It is a 1992 VW Jetta GL and been in my family since new. My mother gave it to me in 1995 with a bit over 29000 miles on it. Within this time, I have always enjoyed it. One bit of advice that makes these cars sparkle, is to install size 195-60 14 over the standard tire. The other, is to install a front tower brace, this stiffens the pan and the improvement in handling is well worth the cost.

It is a gas motor, but always have used 15-40 Shell motor oil. This protects from the Arizona desert heat, it uses about a quarter of a quart of oil every 3000 miles.
Bought my 2003 VW Beatle Turbo S in 2008 (automatic) with 19,000 miles on it from a Honda dealer no less! I am fanatical about maintenance on any car I have owned. I do regular oil changes and have followed the dealer's maintenance schedule all these years. I did have the timing belt and water pump replaced on schedule ($3,000, whew!). Two or three recalls for parts replacement under warranty. I now have 80,000 miles and no major problems. Tires, brakes and timing belts are all normal maintenance in my book. Hopefully, she keeps on truckin'! My biggest concern is having the turbo fail, as all mechanics have told me that turbo on any car will fail before any major engine component.
extremely happy with my VR6 CC 2013
Car is a piece of junk. Bought it brand new in 2001. Only have 80,000 miles on it cause I HATE to drive it. Every 6 months without fail it has something die on it. Replaced parts that hold the windows up, the front passenger seat position lock failed so every time you stop or start the passenger goes flying forward or backward. headlights, taillights, oil pan leak, windshield washer fluid receptacle, electrical system has had repeated issues,etc. Hate, hate, hate VWNBs.
2006 Jetta 2.5 does not have as many problems as my Passat wagon which caught on fire while I was driving it due to the faulty heat shield. VW repaired it only to have it fall off on a major interstate which almost got myself and others killed. After that fire EVERYTHING went wrong with that car which cost thousands.
You would think I would never buy VW again..with all its faulty wire harness issues ( and there are many), the faulty trunk and gas cap latch, The windows that roll down instead of up, the lights that need replaced constantly and the headliner which is ridiculous to repair, I still think its a better car than a lot of the cars out there when they begin to get older. ITs a car that holds some value and will last a bit. They all have issues. All cars, they are made cheap and cost a fortune...but thats all cars until you get to a higher end car which VW is not anymore.
On the class action lawsuit..Im still waiting for payment. Your claim had to be filed by September 24th and it settled in December 2014. VW will pay or do what it wants. The attorneys have been paid by VW and the car company hasn't paid a dime to the non-appearing Plaintiffs, even with a valid claim.
Nothing but problems with this vehicle. Failure of camshaft, camshaft follower, fuel pump, fuel pump module and inner CV boot. All with less than 70K miles. Very disappointing for a VW. I owned a VW before and it was a well handling, low maintenance vehicle. Not this model. I seem to be in the repair shop every other month - and that include the minor things that I do like plugs, oil change and ignition coils. VW never again.
I really love the VW engine (2007 VW Jetta 2.5L) but around 130,000 miles the car thinks the Trunk is always open (the dummy light for the trunk being open on the dash display is always on, even when its not open) and wouldn't activate alarm (but car would lock/unlock) for the longest time. Until all of a sudden at 150,000 miles the car alarm will activate now, however car still thinks trunk is open. Very weird. Haven't been able to get into troubleshooting much. Wish we had some VW Jetta wiring diagrams. Don't want to pay hundreds for a dealer to "fix" it. So far doesn't affect the way it drives. After about 120,000 miles the car started sounding more rough and less smooth. I guess that's to be expected. Engine still going strong as far as I know. Regular maintenance (for the most part) has been done when I can afford it. I also have a smell problem with vent system. Kept thinking it was the cabin filter but after looking on "repair pal" I realize its not. I just deal with it. I live near a mushroom farm because its cheap. So whatever.
I've owned VWs all my life and love my 2003 beetle since I bought as second hand with 13,000 miles on. It is a great city car, easy to park and maintain; we've traveled to Canada, around the East Coast and so far, so good ... Sorry for the people that did not have such a good experience but I have to say that I am as happy as I was when I first got it. About to replace the battery and looking to get advice and/or suggestions. Thanks!
dealers do not stock any parts,not even a lightbulb which takes 2 wks to get and $20. went on a trip and was stranded in another state because nobody stocks any parts for vw,not even dealers. spoiled our trip and was very expensive. took over a week to repair an alternator which should have been an easy fix. will not ever buy a vw product again.
I own Touareg 2004. Great car with high maintenance cost. Any visit to Work shop cost more $1000 ( of course other then regular fuel change etc).
I have a 99 diesel with 286000 on it and still going I have replaced clutch and rack and pinion brakes and glow plugs. Was ok till the other day and now it will not turn over its either the starter on the neutral switch have to get it towed in but other than that I would recommend to anyone.
I have had two 2000 beetles...they both were used when I got them. I always wanted one since I was little. The problem is they break down so much..and everything is so expensive to fix. Even replacing a headlight bulb is expensive. My second one is in the shop right now...I am praying it will last till Spring then I am buying a brand new car and not a husband said he would leave me if I bought another one. LOL
Vehicle needed to be towed to dealer with only 3,200 miles driven.

Service department pinpointed cause to be a bad fuel injector.

Very disappointed that vehicle was towed to dealer before 1st oil & filter.

Don't buy a 2014 Jetta unless you want to have towed before 1st service due
2010 Jetta TDi has 102300 miles. Just replaced the a/c compressor. Just had timing belt & water pump replaced. Just had transmission serviced. WOW! So much for saving on fuel costs? The maintenance costs are killing me with the VW schedule. Will re-think the idea of buying another TDi. Also have to replace the inside driver's door panel, the whole thing, because the door handle broke, made of plastic. But you can't buy just the door handle, need the complete door panel??????