Reviews for Volkswagen Beetle years:

Volkswagen Beetle Reviews and Owner Comments

Volkswagen BeetleOwner Reviews (76 reviews)
  • 2008 Volkswagen Beetle
    08redconvt., New Baltimore, MI, March 17, 2014 20:37
    13 headlight replacements since 2008. Check eng.lite on airbag lite on fixed by dealer twice. Eng temp lite on ,dealer can't find problem? Windows go down when drivingby them selvs. Driver window won't go down at all, open at top about one inch wont go upor down.Dash makes clicking noise after using turn signals.
  • 2002 Volkswagen Beetle
    wowww180, Citrus Heights, CA, March 07, 2014 15:46
    This 2002 New Beetle Turbo S is my second New Beetle, the first being a 2000 (no turbo) and the third a 2004 Turbo S. I have to say that I thoroughly enjoy driving this car because it has a LOT more power than you would guess. And everyone who has driven it says the same. They fall in LOVE. It's a fun car to drive. However, like the other two New Beetles I have owned (the 2000 and 2004 Turbo S) the body/interior etc. leaves a LOT to be desired. Everything falls apart. Believe me, this car is no longer pretty. Still its fun as hell to drive. Oddly, I bought my 2004 based on my love of the 2002 and while they are supposedly the same car (both Turbo S) the 2004 feels like a tin can by comparison. The doors aren't heavy like the 2004, the drive is not as fun or solid. The 2004 doesn’t seem to have the same kind of power at all. Yes, it's faster than the standard New Beetle, but the 2002 has a LOT more heart. I don't know if this is just MY experience, or if others who have driven both would say the same... and I'm not sure why the difference, but the 2004 just feels cheap compared to the 2002. All of my VW New Beetles have the same VW body/interior issues: they fall apart. But I knew this when I bought it. The 2002 has been good to me. I tend to be hard on cars so I have to give it props. I’ve never had any mechanical problems with it until now... and even still it drive NICE... it's just louder and needs a little love. I've driven it for about 5 years and it now has about 130,000 miles on it and it’s time for some attention, but all in all it’s been a good car. I don’t have the same faith in my 2004 which only has about 85,000 miles on it.
  • 2004 Volkswagen Beetle
    wowww180, Citrus Heights, CA, March 07, 2014 15:39
    I bought my used 2004 Turbo S with 85,000 miles on it. I bought it because I also own a 2002 Turbo S that I love. Well the cars look almost identical but the second you get into the 2004 you can tell something is different. I looks nice, but it doesn't feel nearly as solid a car as the 2002. Actually feels downright cheap by comparison. My 2002 is a little monster in disguise on the road. It's far more powerful than a person would guess and it has a solid sports car feel to it that I love. Anyone who drives it immediately gets why I love the car so much... the 2004 just isn't the same. Not sure why. While the 2004 is faster and more fun than a regular New Beetle (I also has a 2000 New Beetle with no turbo), its not nearly the ride of my 2002 Turbo S. It just doesn't seem to have the same heart. All three VWs have had serious Body/interior etc issues as they pretty much fall apart. The 2002 is NOT a pretty car anymore. The 2004 looks better, but I don't expect that to last. At all. Things just break on these cars. My 2004 already has a clutch issue, and the suspension sounds like a squeaky bed. I researched the history of this car and its clean but I suspect that I don't know everything. It's either that or VW just seriously cheaped out after 2002. It's kind of a let down. If you buy any VW these days, just be warned, Mr. Check Engine Light will be your new eternal sidekick. This was true of all three of my New Beetles. Half the time it's nothing serious but that light is constantly going on and off. So in summary, in spite of typical cosmetic/body/interior issues and engine light fun with VWs, I LOVED my 2000 and my 2002 enough to buy a third new beetle. I haven't had my 2004 for long but I'm not nearly as thrilled. I have owned 5 VWs over the years. (My first car was a 1970 Beetle that I drove for 11 years and later I owned a 1972 Super Beetle that I loved.) I'm a bit of an enthusiast and will put up with some quirks, obviously, but after purchasing my 2004 I'm thinking this will be my last NEW VW.
    Visitor, Bellingham, MA, February 26, 2014 12:37
    Well I've owned by 2003 Bug since my Mom passed away in 2010. She bought it brand new and she never had to do anything but oil changes. Now that it is 11 years old it's falling apart, but only has 50,000 miles! The check engine light has been on 3 times in 3 months. First mechanic replaced the thermostat, then coils, plugs & wires, NOW $1000 later they say that it's the catalytic converter (and says I should also do the timing belt/water pump too) which will cost a total of $1,800! I guess it's cheaper than buying a new car, but what the hell!!
  • 2006 Volkswagen Beetle
    Visitor, Fort Lauderdale, FL, February 10, 2014 20:06
    It's my 2nd Beetle and it has 270,000 miles but it was a terrible car compare with my first Beetle 2002. Car was not well done from the beginning and service would not help much as all problems never were fixed (just short term fix). To make long story short the car was falling apart from the beginning despite that I do take good care of my car. I do not think I'll buy VW Beetle again. Very much disappointed !
    Visitor, Chandler, AZ, August 13, 2013 20:58
    Have had my 2003 convertible new beetle turbo for a few years now. VW decided to extend the transmission warranty to 10 years. Mine went out 10 years and 2 months. Called VW and they said to bad so sad. The it quit in the middle of an intersection about a year later. Found out that the timing belt pulley seized a and warped the heads. Now 6 months later the AC started leaking the oil on the ground so no AC in the middle of the summer heat. Also it's a convertible so the back window is falling out because the glue doesn't hold in the heat. If you want a cute convertible don't buy a bug. The Bug has too many bugs crawling through it.
    Visitor, Whitakers, NC, August 13, 2013 18:43
    Bought my Beetle used with 71000 miles on it in 2005. It now has 199500 miles on it and runs wonderful. No motor troubles or anything other than maintenance items you have to do to any car if you keep it that long but hey, people get things wrong with them as they age also. I love the car and love the way it drives and handles. It may blow up tomorrow but so far it has been great.
    PeechySoul, Cedar Rapids, IA, July 30, 2013 08:05
    I owned a 2003 VW Turbo S from 2003 to 2008. Maintained as scheduled mostly by dealer. About 4 VW recalls while I owned it. Fixed with no fuss by local dealer. I only ever had 1 repair that was not normal maintenance related. I noticed the rear taillights weren't working (≈ 2005). Some faulty relay diagnosed by my auto guy in the shop next to mine. He handed the matter off to a local car electrical specialist who tracked down the part. No recall at the point I had it happen. Only cost about $50 (since I knew a guy that knew a guy, you know?) Annoyances were the inability to change a headlight when it burned out, but dealer would change for no labor only bulb. I had to replace a wheel (rim - Turbo S specialized & hard to find at the time) & then then all tires after I clipped a broken storm drain near street edge. I loved the car, but hated the premium gas. Wouldn't have given it up if my business didn't warrant the need for a bigger vehicle.
    Visitor, Wayne, NJ, July 28, 2013 07:46
    Bought a 2003 convertible and fixed some water damaged electrical issues. I was surprised to find that very pricey bosch relays are not water proof at all? It would seem that VW cares a rip less about the bulk complaints of non operating door locks electric windows and other elec issues that plague the line, not the least of which is the immobilzer system. I regret having bought the car.
    Visitor, Waddington, NY, July 08, 2013 14:23
    Never again. Stay away from it and wanabe Mercedes . Simple as that.
    Visitor, La Crescenta, CA, June 01, 2013 14:11
    Based on my one star ratings of all that has gone wrong, I can only assume that all other areas are soon to fail, hence the thee stars. This is a 2007 new beetle fully factory equipped. There are 33000 miles on this car and is driven exclusively by my wife. I bought her a ltd. edition sport bug in the 70's and sold it after one year because it was such a piece of crap. She never forgave me for that. Fast forward to 2007 to redeem myself. She babys and loves this car more than me. So far the a/c has gone out, all four center caps on the octopus wheels have flown off from the tangs becoming brittle and cracking off, center console arm broke at hinge, rear hatch support shocks worn out, gas door release spring broken, passenger side speaker failed, rear brake pads of all things and tires actually rotted before wearing out. yes the car lives in a garage. The most recent is the drivers side door handle breaking off the ridiculously engineered door panel. That dealer repair is nearly $800. Yes you are reading correctly. This fairly priced car when purchased new and in existence since Moses, will nickle/dime your bank account to oblivion. Cheap plastic parts o plenty, poor design, mechanical failure, you name it, it's inevitably coming for you. FYI VW of America could care less. Don't believe me? Call their "no customer care" department and learn for yourselves.
  • 2002 Volkswagen Beetle
    Visitor, Athens, AL, May 28, 2013 14:59
    my ac is not cooling but the compressor is running i had the refridgeant checked it is full but the guy said that it was the compressor even thou it is running he said the the pressure should be level in the compressor but it is kicking in an when iwas looking on line for prices for a compressor it said the the compressor for a vw beetle has low pressure on one side n high pressure on the other so now i'm confused.the ac worked one day n the next it didn't anybody have any answers
    Visitor, Boynton Beach, FL, May 02, 2013 10:25
    Electrical Shorts in headlamps, battery is ruined in less than a year from no recharge, Electric motors for top and windows are crap, fabric on the interior is falling off, hinge on drivers side split in two for no apparent reason, A/C unit died, Oil Plastic Dipstick crumbled into the block, Over heated and now ceased up with a blown head gasket (no temp gauge), Piece of crap! There are about thirty other items that are subpar on this piece of crap! NEVER BUY GERMAN AGAIN!
    Visitor, Brooklyn, NY, April 01, 2013 07:44
    My 2001 Turbo 1.8 Beetle had 25k on it in 2005 when we bought it. Now in 2013 it has 170k. I have had 7.5 years of pleasure driving it. The usual timing belt replacement, a new battery and a couple other things is all I've had to do. It recently has a slow transmission fluid leak, which we will keep an eye on. Yes the light bulbs are a pain to replace, but my husband watched a youtube instruction video, so can do that himself now. Bulb is only $7.00. Synthetic oil of course. It's a 12 year old car and still amazing!
    Visitor, Little Elm, TX, February 05, 2013 12:00
    I have an 03 conv. and its is the biggest piece of crap ever assembled. Back glass is coming unglued and falling out, back pass window is broken (500.00 part) the power locks dont work most of the time and the tranmission is shot at 73 thou miles. DO NOT EVER PURCHASE A VW BEETLE!!!!!!!! THEY ARE JUNK!!!!!!!!
    Visitor, Fargo, ND, January 31, 2013 13:20
    One awesome day back in 1999 I was surprised with the gift of a groovy little red new beetle! Drove that bad girl right out of the dealership and boy do I regret that day. This car is adorable yes indeed, but it's just a mask for it's many malfunctions within. I've had everything wrong and spent a fortune on the beast but yet every month no matter how pampered she is something else goes haywire. Recalls galore, electrical issues beyond repair, things just stop working period no matter how many times you revive them. I do still have my car but its only because I just can't sell it. Think I'll plant it in the backyard with flowers growing from within or maybe take the engine out and put in a BBQ grill instead! More reliable anyway. My honest opinion, don't buy this year (1999) if you truly want a New Beetle for your ride. I'm sure newer years should have less issues, well hopefully anyway. Unless of course you have tons of money you like to spend on broken things, then in that case this is the perfect vehicle for you. Go for it. But don't cry when your in the broke house with a cute car sitting in the driveway not working, cause I warned you. It's like dating the popular girl and finding out she's a skitzo freak. NOT WORTH IT!
    Visitor, Pedro, OH, January 12, 2013 10:42
    We bought this care for our daughter and it has been nothing but trouble. A money pit. Now we're told the problem is the modulator and there are none to be found.
  • 2012 Volkswagen Beetle
    Visitor, Deltona, FL, December 24, 2012 10:53
    I bought my 2012 Beetle in November 2012. I discovered that my windows only worked after 4 or 5 tries. VW of A got them fixed one year later. The car is wonderful in every way now. I have not seen a 2012 or 2013 Beetle advertised on TV, in a magazine or on the road, why? I have a silver Beetle with black rally stripes. I get a lot of attention when I go anywhere or park. Why no advertising from Volkswagen?
    Visitor, Branson, MO, November 02, 2012 14:56
    I bought my 1998 Beetle with over 170,000 miles on it. I've driven to over 20,000 miles. The door lock broke...alarm sounded and now...the car won't start...something to do with the circuit...Electrical and wiring issue are too many to list...The motor runs great! The 1st gear and reverse only work when they want to...I have pushed this car more than I care to say...I do like the beetle...but a CHEAP deal has gotten so far out of hand...I'm going to get it running and let it go!!! A 2013 with a full warranty might be interesting...
    Visitor, Bethlehem, PA, October 28, 2012 12:45
    I bought my '99 Beetle in '99.. Had 7 miles on it. Still have it, and still driving it with no problems, other than a 13 yr. old car would have..Biggest expense was catalytic converter went last year. Had it replaced and we're good to go!!!! LOVE my car, and it loves me!!!! You take care of it, it takes care of you.. I'm 66 yrs. old with my 5 speed Beetle and loving it!! So do my granddaughters!! Probably will outlast me!!
    Visitor, Martinsburg, WV, August 27, 2012 16:42
    im 17. paying this car off at the moment. and i love it. the main problems were things that were neglected from the previous owner.
    Loula3208, Bluefield, WV, August 21, 2012 13:46
    I am looking into buying a 1999 Beetle.. I am reading these reviews & now I'm torn!! My review is just what I think just going by a test drive.. Everything seems ok... but just worried about after..(If I decide to buy)
    Visitor, Russellville, AL, August 20, 2012 10:02
    There is only 2 problems we have had with our 1998 volkswagon beetle. The air condition quit working and the handle you close the door with came loose. would we get another beetle. Theyre cute but,.. probably not
    Visitor, Sacramento, CA, August 20, 2012 07:28
    I've had my beetle for years, doing a god job on maintaining it, etc. Yesterday I pulled forward out of a parking spot, heard a loud crack. Apparently I ran over my left light eye (lens?) cover. REALLY?? How does that fall off??????? Possible glue issues?? Recall? Dont feel like this should be my responsibility. So the lens isn't good to use anymore. Anyone else experience this???
    NO More VWs, Fernandina Beach, FL, August 19, 2012 08:07
    I bought a 2007 VW Beetle convertible . It has a major blind spot, I guess due to the convertibile top. I have changed the headlights 4 times on one side and twice on the other. The dealership says the lights come with a warranty, but then it is always something added, such as the housing, etc. I have replaced the window motors 5 times, and now need to do it again The front right window rattles so bad I think the window will break. They took the door apart, could not find anything, tightened the screws, and it did not change a thing. The car always has a musty smell, and I was told it is just a VW problem. I referred 3 friends to buy VW, the diesel and regular passats. The y all have had the same problems, especially the noise the car makes when driving, it creaks way too much. I will never buy a VW product again.
    Visitor, Vernon, NJ, August 04, 2012 16:05
    I love this car. It is my first car, I've had it for two years and I do my best to maintain it. The worst problem I had with it was that the power steering reservoir went (thought it was the pump at first), replaced that and no issue. It has 170,000 miles and it still runs pretty well. It's a daily driver and I drive ALOT everyday.
  • 2005 Volkswagen Beetle
    Visitor, Ridgeland, SC, July 18, 2012 06:47
    I bought my Beetle 3 years ago used. Since I got it the back driver's side window won't work. (electical). The drivers side front window wouldn't work.(fixed). The drivers side door handle on the outside falls off. Now the door won't close. The trunk will not open. The ashtray in back fell out onto the floor. It is not neglect. It is poor workmanship. No other car I've ever owned has slowly come apart.
    Visitor, Mount Sterling, KY, July 17, 2012 05:00
    165k . Just put wire and plugs with a coil pack but other than that rolling on.
    Visitor, Hardy, AR, June 26, 2012 06:57
    6/25/2012 Was the scariest day of my life. Due to electrical problems in my Beetle, I almost died. My car over heated at the Mc Donald's here in my hometown. I pulled out of drive-thru and my car caught fire. Setting my passenger seat beneath me on fire and then mine. Spreading to the rear and front of the car, I was engulfed in flames. Luckily, a good person pulled me out before the car exploded. I had no idea the volkswagen was having so many issues with wiring and issues. I almost died yesterday. Seeing my car explode and burn to a crisp, I would not wish that fear on anyone. Be careful of owning any Volkswagens without checking the electrical systems. It is dangerous and has proven so as of yesterday.
    Visitor, Buchanan, MI, June 18, 2012 07:06
    I just went through blog and if I would have heard all this 18 months ago I would not have purchased my 1998 Beetle. it had a bad mass air flow meter on it when I purchased it that I diagnosed on the spot when I Bought it. yea it was a Total guess. because it was my first non American car. but with gas price's and the fact that the man selling it didn't know what the problem was so I got a great deal $2,000 but it had 188,000 miles on it. now at 215,000 I have only had to replace the M.A.F.S. along with regular oil change's. and a starter. so I'am happy with the gas burning Manual trans,bug that gets 34 MPG.
    Visitor, Greenwood, IN, June 13, 2012 13:43
    FIRST OFF...NEGLECT..THATS what MOST of these stories are about....! Not the Vehicle...but the OWNER!!!! EVERY CAR...will have problems..thats WHY we have..PREVENTITIVE MEASURES! GET a BOOK...a GOOD BOOK..say a Bently V W Book,...read it..get to know your VW..as I did my Rifle in the Marines...it,s YOUR Friend..it takes you everywhere YOU wanna go BUT..treat it BAD..and soon..it wont like you! Take it to a V W Shop...HELL NO...do it yourself..MINER stuff...mine has had the standard problems..bulbs...tires ever so often...would,nt trade mine and it has 223,465 miles on it...changed the oil ONCE when I got it..YOU NEVER need to change OIL..UNLESS..your motor OVERHEATS..badly enough to BURN the oil...oil SAE..wont break down, STOP wasting money...get a Book and read...ONLY Bently or Mitchell is worth the money..Chilton,s...Hays...PURE JUNK..GAURANTEED...I love my Black 1999 V W Beetle...it,s a 5-Speed Lambo to me and I RUN the HELL out of it...NO PROB...learn to TAKE CARE of your stuff People!!!
    Visitor, Saint George, UT, April 25, 2012 20:54
    love the car one glitch with the radio but other wise it is great
    Visitor, Commerce, GA, March 06, 2012 09:30
    I bought my 2000 V/W beattle brand new but I had problems with it as soon as I put it on the road the coolong light come on have taking it to the dealer and so they said is fix that light is back on now I TOOK IT TO ATHENS V/W FOR OIL CHANGE THE CAR WAS GIVING ME PROBLEMS"after so many miles driven the car didn't want to start here comes and certified mechanic that my husband knows check the oil and guess what oil hs not been change for awhile,giving my money to the dealer and they never change my oil,filter and everything else that is include it,now the oil line is starting to cumulate some kind of greasy form and water I HAVE PAID HIGH DOLLARS TO HAVE MY CAR IN GOOD SHAP AND THE DEALER HAS RUIN MY CAR.... now the engine lite comes on in other words what I thought it was going to be my toy it has turn dow to a nitmare,no more V/w for me and no more dealers this goes to Jim Ellis and V/W of athens they suck and dont do the job just take your money.
    Visitor, Lakeland, FL, January 25, 2012 11:13
    bought this car in 2004 with 36000 miles, have had nothing major go wrong except for headlights went out twice and needed cv joints after 206000 miles, the key to this car is to find a good NON dealership mechanic that will do the work reaonable and do regular oil changes and it will go forever,,,, love my car. cosmetically the interior is rather cheaply made , the plastic knobs will break after time, but it still runs like a top
    Visitor, Winter Haven, FL, January 20, 2012 10:49
    I owe a 1998 VW Beetle in wish i loved, when it was in good conditions i drove it for 1 year than everything started to fall apart. I replaced the motor, changed the radiator,double cooling fans, thermostat, timing belt. cat. converters, did a complete 2 times tune ups in 6 months, changed the cables and all, water pump starter, and still check engine on. the interior started breaking, door panels, door locks, upholstery fading. headlights moldings broke, it seems that nothing works, but yet very expensive to get it going. I already spend $6,056. replacing everything. I didn't know what I was getting my self into. sucks!
    Visitor, North Las Vegas, NV, December 11, 2011 15:04
    I bought my 2001 New Beetle New; while the warrentee was in effect, only some minor problems, after the warantee expired, so did the beetle, slowly, piece by piece. The handbrake broke, came off in my hand, the catalylic converter went out, 600 bucks, the timing belt had to be replaced twice, the clutch went out, the air conditioner went out, the seat upholstery split, water pump went out... the headlights and tail lights take turns at going out, the tail light assembly popped out of the fender, seems the clips or whatever keeping the tail light assembly in place just simply disintergated, broke, to replce the tail light assembly about 300 bucks...all these repairs were very, VERY costly. I pity the fool who buys, and owns one. The ONLY GOOD thing about the beetle is the VW advertising....Das Volks is German Engernerring.
    Visitor, Ypsilanti, MI, October 24, 2011 14:34
    I bought mine used in 2006. Loved the way the body looked, and I even named mine. But to be honest, it is not a good car. Everything plastic on the car gets brittle and cracks/crumbles to pieces, without even being touched. Always throwing trouble codes; get them fixed and cleared and two days later it's something new. Working on it is a nightmare, it is major surgury to replace a fog beam or even things that should be simple like a bulb in the headlight. While driving to work this morning, I started smelling a horrible burning plastic smell and noticed smoke coming from my dashboard. Turned the car off but by then a fire had broken out in the wiring and plastic within the dashboard. Called 911 and fire department came quickly and put it out. My insurance claims representative says it looks like a total loss. After the incident I started searching online and found many, many similar if not identical stories of electrical fires on this car. I wish I would have known this before learning the hard way.
    Visitor, Anaheim, CA, October 17, 2011 08:21
    I purchased my 2001 Beetle used, based only because it was cute and I had always wanted one since High School, big mistake, I had it for ony 6 months, and the engine completely went out, (it had only 54,000 miles on it), thank goodness for the extended warranty, they kept my car for a 1-1/2 months..ridiculous, it is now slowy falling apart, all the cheap plastic parts in the interior, glove compartment cheap handle broke off (replacement $200, because you can't just buy the handle),antenna rotted and snapped off, all the cup holders brittle and broken, the plastic covers over the seat adjustments, the cheap brittle plastic that sits inside adjustment, broke off. I have also replaced the plastic cheap emblem wheel covers at least 6 times, and gave up after two more fell of (at a cost of $30. each). Also the front lights and rear lights constantly going out at around $30 to $40 each time. The only positive thing I have to say, is alot of head room and width in the front seat. BUYER BEWARE!
    Visitor, New Bedford, MA, August 13, 2011 04:57
    OMG, getting this car is the worst thing i'v ever done. Its been giving me problems from the start, water,pump,ac compressor,transmission slipping,oil leak,doors wont lock,trunk wont open by the button,and now my fans wont shut off.
    Visitor, Middletown, OH, July 24, 2011 11:42
    mother in law sold the car to us this june 2011, 1998 red beettle 26k ,bad part she stop driving a few years back, so far driver side window motor $350.00, rear brakes,capiler $200.00,alarm system sounds at any time whem locked.#400.00 for plastic cover under the engine.no fun
    Visitor, Lebanon, OH, June 24, 2011 14:00
    Overall the car is performing as expected. Approximately 75,000 miles on the car and nothing major has failed. I have had to replace the headlights 3 different times which I feel is unacceptable. I wish the day time running lights were not the headlights, maybe another bulb or they would use the parking lights. I just replaced the original tires at 70,000 and now the left front wheel bearing is getting replaced. I just change the oil regularily and drive it.
    Visitor, Atlanta, GA, June 08, 2011 13:28
    This car is cute as a button but it's been my worst nightmare...after two months after purchasing at a used car dealership with 74K miles the engine went out!!!!!!!!!! I'm paying for a car that I can't even drive!
    Visitor, Arlington, VA, May 26, 2011 09:33
    Never again! I purchased this car used at 74,000 miles. It now has just over 100,000 miles in the three years I've owned it. I've replaced brakes, rotors, tires, the left window, battery and ignition coil. Now I'm told I need to replace motor mounts and the gear shift - it's a stick. So, I still owe $3,000 on a car that is worth $2000 and will take another $4,000 to fix. Enough!!!
    lyndylou52, Antrim, NH, May 10, 2011 08:05
    I have a 2001 Volkswagen and have had it for 3 years, I have had no real problem with my car. I do regular oil change and filter. I use only synthetic oil. I drive my car all winter, with snow tires and it is great. I really like my car and plan on keeping it for a while. Great little car.
    Visitor, Omaha, NE, April 30, 2011 05:26
    I've owned my new beetle sence it was new,and I incountered many problums. First it was the air mass indcator,next was the breake light switch. BUT THE PROLUMES GET MUCH WORST. As the car aproced 60k I tried to run on different tires.The tires were to high,and caused me to fill with air ever 4 to 5 days.The tranmisson went out (auto) at 95k,and the adle agustment went bad.
    Visitor, Ringgold, GA, April 17, 2011 05:21
    it need a fuel pump
    Visitor, Colony, KS, March 09, 2011 20:27
    I was so excited when my parents bought me this car for my high school graduation. I have been driving it for about 3 years now and it has done nothing but cost me money and problems. We have put over $7,000 in repairs to the car. I have had to replace the water pump, fuel pump, transmission, belts, batteries, breaks, for lights, the motors in the windows and more. The car is built for looks and not for relability, plus all of the parts are more expensive to replace vs. parts from GM or Ford. For the interior, the rubber surface of the dash was a terrible idea. My dash, door handles and around my raido are so scratched up and I dont know how to fix it because of that horrible rubber surface. Overall I cannot wait to get rid of this car. Yes, it does look really cute and its nice to drive around with the top down but overall its horrible! I would not reccomend it to anyone.
  • 2009 Volkswagen Beetle
    Visitor, Westerville, OH, February 23, 2011 08:18
    I love my little Beetle. She is perfect for me. I've never had a bit of trouble with her. She is by far the best car I've ever had.
    Visitor, Campobello, SC, February 14, 2011 06:45
    The 2001 VW Beetle is the worst vehicle I have ever purchased. I would take much pleasure in burning it. Nothing wrong with this vehicle mechanically; simply plagued with electrical demons. Only get the dealership to repair and wait for the lies and ripping you a new one every time period.
    Visitor, Miami, FL, January 26, 2011 14:25
    Worst car I've ever owned and I've owned quite a few. JUNK!
  • 2004 Volkswagen Beetle
    Visitor, Sedona, AZ, January 12, 2011 12:45
    I had a 2004 New Beetle convertible with the turbo and automatic. The things I liked: very quiet on the hwy. for a small convertible, I'm 6' and I found the seats to be comfortable and plenty of leg room up front, good performance for what it is. What I did not like: power window regulator failure (rear quarter cost $750.00 to replace) - VW is known for window regulator problems, top mechanism failure - if you are going to buy the convertible, buy a later model starting with an 06 - note: I used to work as an auto trimmer and one of my jobs was to install convertible tops and in my opinion this top on the earlier models is problematic due to poor design, also related to the top - the top can develop a rattle at the point where it connects to the windshield header, overall the interior looks upscale - but looks are deceiving - the plastics are low grade and trim and accessories can easily brake under normal use, radio - so-so, battery and headlight bulb replacement - a pain in the $%^^. I bougnt the car with 16000 miles on it and sold it with 31000 mi. on it. I did enjoy driving it. But after owning it for a while I came to the realization that at the very least I would be fixing the little things that kept breaking.
    justanothor, Wernersville, PA, December 27, 2010 08:06
    Car interior is small. Cupholders do not work well for any drinks. No armspace. Brakes wear out quickly. Drive train takes a while to shift or pick up speed. The electrical system seems to malfunction randomly. Bulbs are often replaced. The engine gets extremely hot. The air intake system seems to always need cleaning. The suspension leaves a lot to be desired. I feel like I am intensely hitting every bump.
    mustanggirl777, Austin, TX, December 22, 2010 09:00
    I bought a 2001 VW Beetle with 9K miles on it. I've had it for years and it has over 100K miles now. I love the way it drives when it is working, but the Turbo has been a problem over the years. There has been lots of money spent in repairs and unfortunately I can't say I would buy another one. I'm on a first name basis with my mechanic and his dog, so if you can stand the trips to the repair shop every 3 months, it is a fun car to own and drive. But if you are looking for something more reliable, I can't suggest the Beetle. I have one with a sunroof and it has leaked and caused a lot of interior damage as well. So if you do choose a Beetle, make sure you demand they check the sunroof at each maintenance scheduled.
    Visitor, Arkadelphia, AR, December 02, 2010 10:55
    This car has always been my dream car and boy it wake me up from my dream real fast. This car will make you spend a lot of money if you're not careful. It's good for short distances but I would never drive my car from Arkansas to Texas. I've had so many problems out of my car since the day I got it. You know the old lingo "lemon" well my car is bright yellow and yes I did buy a lemon. It's a waste, and I'm so ready to at least attempt to try and sell my car or get another one. This is my one and only volkswagen and I don't plan on ever buying one unless. I'm in desperate need of a vehicle. Dont' waste your time.
    Fizz, Oakland, CA, November 30, 2010 13:46
    I love my Beetle. I don't drive a lot but I still love my car almost 9 years after buying it. I've had some bad mechanics but the car is great!
    Visitor, Ridgewood, NY, November 15, 2010 20:24
    Lots of problems with this car....a money loosing hole.....cheap plastics, transmission slipping already at 2000 RPMs ……(90000 miles on it) parts are expensive to fix....electric problems ...water pump died around 75000... now leak inside from the A/C flooded the carpet by the front seat…broken springs before 60000 miles ….the plastics masks under the engine keep falling…catalytic converter died at 70000…..brakes that squeak …radiator replaced due to corrosion…...overall bad purchase...stay away from this ....what German engineering?!!! An embarrassment ....made and assembled somewhere in the basement ……rushed design....did I mention….. terrible coverage...lots of dead spots......dangerous for ramps and changing lanes on highways….
    Visitor, Asheville, NC, November 15, 2010 20:24
    I just got my 99 beetle and i love it.Its got 140000 miles and still going strong. What ever you do dont let your husband work on it.
    Visitor, Eldorado, IL, October 14, 2010 07:22
    I have a 2001 VW Beetle turbo 5 speed. I always wanted a beetle and finally got one. Has been nothing but problems unfortuantely. I love this car but its a money pit. Something always goes wrong even if its minor it costs a fortune to get it fixed. Now my beetle won't even start and were trying to figure out what the problem is. IT has a lot of electrical issues. I would NEVER suggest this car to a friend. I love the car but I hate it too. Its a love/hate relationship. Piece of JUNK!!
    Visitor, Derby, KS, September 04, 2010 13:51
    Bought this car at 83,000 miles. Spent a lot of money putting in repairs. Couldn't even replace the headlight without taking it to the shop. Same with the battery. Just to fix my gas gauge is $400. Have to get the brakes cleaned yearly because they get dirty in the winter and screech. Weird things like that. It's a very computer-electrical based car, so it's very difficult to do even basic repairs yourself. It's a fun car, but it's a pricey car. I think I'd enjoy it more if I bought it brand new, as opposed to used. Overall, I'd buy another car.
    Visitor, Salt Lake City, UT, September 02, 2010 09:14
    I really enjoy my 2003 New Beetle! It's super fun to drive (it's a 5 speed manual). I bought the car one year ago, it had 64,000 miles and it now has 75,000 miles. The biggest downer is that we've put a total of $1,300 for repairs (that includes the oil changes and 2 new tires-the dealer we bought it from paid for half of the amount). All in all, that isn't too bad.
    Visitor, Columbia, SC, August 09, 2010 14:38
    Bought mine at 60,000-replaced front and rear brakes,cooling fans.Did the regular maintance-oil change,replaced tires,a/c charge ups At 85,000 replaced the timing belt and water pump,a/c compressor--After 100,000 miles: front and rear struts/shocks new tires cv axle radiator,cooling fans,thermostat,thermostat housing $2,000 alternator a mystery cooling fan demon-cooling fan will not come on when needed,3 modules regulate need to take to dealer to remedy- NOT-I'm selling this car It 's a FUN CAR til 100,000 miles after that-you better get rid of it and get some other brand.This is not the VW of the 1960's when YOU could fix it-This is the NEW VW and One of the biggest mistakes I ever made was to buy a VW
    Visitor, Houston, TX, June 03, 2010 16:43
    This is a great little car. The 2.0L 5 speed has lots of power. However the electrical system overall leaves alot to be desired, from the CEL coming on intermittently to the dashboard and interior lights wacking out. I rated the body a 3 because if lights need to be replaced, the whole front clip has to come off. HASSLE!
  • 2008 Volkswagen Beetle
    Smilodon7, Woodland Hills, CA, May 20, 2010 01:45
    This 2008 VW Beetle S hatchback, with 5 cyl.-6 forward gears, 4-wheel ABS Disc brakes and has really great suspension plus airbags, I think its the same as the Passat, because I have a 2001 Passat GLX and dang that auto handles really good, just like my Black Trident. I mean gaaht dang German engineering. I get 30+mpg when I drive like a civialian which is rarely because das auto handles so good and really zips, I have run circles around street traffic and zoomed past beamers and benzes on the freeway, this car is so much fun to drive, I pray to God I never crash considering the maneuvers I've pulled with this baby! I bought it with 12.7K miles on it from the dealer in September of 2008. I have 25K miles on it now and have needed no repairs, I purchased the 100K mile extended factory warranty, I use Castrol Edge 5w-30 and Fram oil and air filters.
    Visitor, Hillsborough, NC, May 01, 2010 13:37
    I will NEVER buy a Volkswagen car again - this car has been the biggest financial burden of my life... I bought it used, I've had it for 6 years - it has 180,000 miles on it... it is absolutely worthless. I have a major repair on it every other month - each one costing at the very least $1000... the electrical system is completely screwed - lights and functions go out constantly. The tie rod ends wear out within months of replacing them. The plastic parts are literally falling off of my car and have been taped into place (lights, body, knobs, the sun roof)... It looks like a 30 year old car. I do not abuse the car, or treat it abnormally, I use it to drive to school and work... on the highway... I have it maintenanced regularly... there is no excuse for a car to be literally falling apart before the owner's eyes within ten years of being made. Completely pathetic ... I would never recommend that anyone waste their money on one of these Mexican built pieces of crap. German engineering my ass!!
  • 2006 Volkswagen Beetle
    Visitor, Absecon, NJ, April 08, 2010 07:16
    WHAT A SHAME ON TRYING TO CHANGE HEADLAMPS
    orly_1, Santa Monica, CA, December 18, 2009 20:48
    I have a 2001 VW Beetle and am really like this sturdy little car. It has lots of style and does the job of driving me everywhere. I have no complaints. My car does not age...or ages gracefully depending on your point of view. I hope to keep this a while longer.
    KittyDigitize, Conway, AR, September 09, 2009 19:29
    I bought this little cutie used from a dealer and I love my 99 VW Beetle! It had 90,000 miles on it and now has 125,000 and still going. Gas mileage is GREAT and constant. My only problem is a nagging brake light that I just found out is under a recall. (Thanks Repair Pal!) and I've had one dashboard fire behind the AC and FAN switches. Look out for this problem. I'm on my third Temperature Control Module and they like to ARC and smoke out... or FLAME out as mine did. Makes the AC turn itself on and off without you touching the switch! They cannot find the cause of this "ghost in the machine" type problem... but other than that... she's a beauty to drive and use. I'm hoping they can remedy this because I've never enjoyed a car so much as this one! She's called "Blue Eyes" and she's Ocean Blue!
    hully01, Stockton, CA, August 25, 2009 09:25
    2001 1.8L Turbo. I commute 110 mls a day RT. Bought used w/ 80k mls, almost 140k mls now & although I had to do the major 100k ml repairs, I love my car! No it is not perfect but what car is? Has a few glitches here & there but it hasn't really failed me. Its such a cutie & quick as a bullet!
    charliechubbles, Madison, WI, August 24, 2009 15:29
    This is the worst purchase decision I have ever made. I have owned the car for less than nine months and have spent over $1200 on electrical and mechanical problems with the car. I purchased the car from a used car dealership and had the car checked by an independent mechanic before my purchase. I have had to have my car towed twice, have had the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, brake light sensor, mass airflow intake sensor, and several other things replaced. I was going to try to sell it, but now the MIL came on and I can't afford to get it fixed.
    scastigl, Freedom, NY, August 11, 2009 14:15
    Good little car - we're at 96K miles, and still going; however, lots of electrical problems over the years (both windows, various front and rear lights, radio, etc); also an almost constant oil leak for the first six years until a non-VW mechanic replaced a simple seal
    NewLeaf, Mountville, PA, April 08, 2009 10:42
    I LOVE my car! It has been a great run with 123,000 and counting. Yes there were some electric window issues...but an all electric model will have this after a while I'm thinking. Replacing the headlamps are an expensive pain but have only replaced them once. Heat is fantastic and air conditioning is still freezing which is a good thing! No drive train troubles, suspension, steering, exhaust and emmissions trouble either. For a 9 year old car....it is amazing. LOVE this car and hope to get 200K out of it. So far so good! Minor issues due to age....that is a given.
    2001Beetle, Brooklyn, NY, February 06, 2009 11:49
    I have much love for Beetle!
    xomed28, Jacksonville, FL, January 31, 2009 04:27
    I bought my 2003 turbo VW beatle new. My headliner is falling down. I keep the windows cracked so it does not get so hot inside. I have had some problems with my left headlight not working.My air conditioner went from cold to now to not cooling. I have 57000.00 miles on this car. It is fun to drive but if I had to do it over again. I would not buy another one.
    hahn1200, Roswell, GA, January 06, 2009 11:30
    We bought this TDI in 99 and at the time the bug had 10,000 miles on it. We had problems with the power window controls and the turbo during the warranty period and they were fixed under warranty. However, we experienced additional turbo problems and the repairs cost us over $500. We experienced problems with the front and rear lights. Getting the Rear lights fixed was very expensive. I was unable to fix myself because the space to work in was so tight..Cost over $100 to have a bulb replaced. We are not happy with the wear on the interior. Material is frayed and the plastic on the door handles is chipped.I am also unhappy with how much it cost to replace the timing belt - over $600 a pop. And they must be replaced every 60K. Having said all that - my wife loves the car which now has over 100K. We are delighted with the MPG 44+ and like the way the car handles and the surprisingly large storage area when the back seat is down. The only caveat I have is the cost for repair on any component of the VW - Any owner must find an independent repair shop to avoid the cost of repair at the dealership which can be 30% higher. We intend to drive this car for another 100K or until the wheels fall off Would we buy another beetle - probably not
    ehodges05, Houston, TX, October 12, 2008 13:50
    I just got a new car but HAD to leave a review.. I drove a 99 vw beetle {turbo, standard} and LOVED LOVED LOVED it. I sold it at 111,000 miles on it, but only because I got an offer to buy another car that I couldn't pass up. I am in my 20's and this car got me through college and my first few years out. It was perfect, SAFE, reliable, great gas mileage, cute, and had fun features. I ALWAYS got asked about it and people were shocked it was a 99.. It looked brand new.. It held it's value, and had some issues, but really they were just standard, car is getting older replacements, etc. I also learned how to do alot of things on my own {aka replace headlamps} and that saved $ b/c only certain shops could work on them.. You basically are getting a quality, foreign car for a great value, think about what a 99 kia looks like, no comparison. I would get another beetle, or VW and rec to ANYONE.. It's especially perfect for people just starting out in school and careers. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! I cried when I sold it and still miss it!!
    spyder, Oakland, CA, October 08, 2008 13:45
     Journeyman
    I've enjoyed the beetle since new.Stylish in it's own way.It grows on you.Simple 2.0 Liter engine runs and runs. I wore out the clutch at 50,000 miles , replaced brakes now and than. I drive hard , the car does well.