Just purchased 2002 Tribute w/148k mi. Driving home the vehicle would buck and hesitate only at slight throttle. Pressing the accelerator further would cause problem to go away. Got it home, shut it off and I let the car sit for 30 min came out started and ran with a fairly rough idle. Eventually the check engine light came on. I drove it around the block and the problem was gone??? Next day I drove it to the parts store and the hesitation/bucking was alot worse. Code read P0306, misfire on #6. This was the only code in memory. I had the code cleared and took vehicle out on the freeway. Immediately started bucking and hesitating. It got up to about 60-65 MPH and eventually came to a halt with no power after driving maybe a mile and a half. Engine would stay running and idle (although roughly) after I came to a complete stop. Engine running, in Drive the car would rev to maybe 1k rpm and not move forward. Eventually the check engine light came on, but not until after i had pulled to the side of the road. I popped the hood and noticed the EGR valve was extremely hot. I had suspected a bad DPFE sensor earlier, but now am unsure. I let the car sit for about 3 hours and came back to move it off the highway. I drove it for about a mile and it got to 30 mph before it finally lost all power again. Towed it home from there. It seems logical to assume a bad catalytic converter, but which one? Would a clogged fuel filter exhibit these same symptoms? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Vehicle will start and idle, but won't rev over 3k RPM. Acts like a bad CC? on 2002 Mazda Tribute
Asked by for the 2002 Mazda Tribute
This week's top 10
Recent Mazda Tribute Questions
- Where is the location of the fuel tank pressure sensor on the vehicle?
- What happens when the timing is out?
- was driving the car just stop running try to two time start but battery was died
- I replaced my fuel pump and now my battery keeps draining in an overnight period
- I'm searching for the MAZDA BONGO e1800 workshop manual
2002 Mazda Tribute Estimates
- Shock Absorber Replacement - Rear ($236 - $289) in West Milton, OH
- Heater Blower Motor Resistor Replacement ($94 - $160) in Shawnee, OH
- Door Window Motor Replacement ($174 - $222) in Helena, MO
- Oil Pan Reseal - Engine ($215 - $316) in Oak Park, MN
- Horn Replacement ($143 - $167) in Savannah, OH
- Noise Diagnosis ($61 - $78) in Monongahela, PA