We have a 2002 Elantra. Last summer the radiator failed, but we stopped before overheating the engine. Since then, there is valve lifter noise when starting that goes away after about 10 seconds. We also hear the valve lifters when revving the engine, but at steady rpm they're quiet. I suspect one or more bad lifters. I can't seem to get an estimate to replace them. I suspect it will require removing the camshaft(s). I already have an estimate for doing the timing belt and waterpump, so this would simply be an add-on to that estimate.
Valve lifter Noise on 2002 Hyundai Elantra
This week's top 10
Recent Hyundai Elantra Questions
- Where is the fuse for the brake lights it's not labeled on the fuse panel box
- Why do the rpm's stay high while shifting gears (5 speed manual trans)?
- Has anyone else had to reset the time on their clock again and again?
- Where is the turn signal relay located?
- Bought car recently for wife.Did not come with key fob.Can I get 1& how? Thank U
2002 Hyundai Elantra Estimates
- Serpentine Belt Replacement ($123 - 170) in Stillwater, PA
- Shock Absorber Replacement - Rear ($303 - 416) in Lake Village, AR
- Charging System Diagnosis ($44 - 56) in Wabasha, MN
- Electrical System Diagnosis ($88 - 111) in Zapata, TX
- Wheel Lug Stud Replacement ($117 - 161) in Chester, WV
- Suspension Control Arm Replacement ($388 - 410) in Sardinia, NY