A turbocharger is an exhaust gas driven air compressor that forces air into the engine’s induction system. This provides more oxygen to the cylinders for increased power from the combustion process.
Symptoms of Wear or Failure
- Engine oil leak
- Lack of power
- Illumination of the Check Engine Light
- Excessive oil consumption
- High pitched whine noise on acceleration
Related Repair Advice
- The engine oil supply to the turbocharger is critical; they are exposed to hot exhaust ages and spin at very high RPM. This is why it's important to follow the manufacturer's recommended oil type and change intervals.
- It is often recommended to allow the turbocharger to "cool down" after driving by letting the engine idle for one minute before turning it off