Hyundai Q&A

2001 Hyundai Elantra Question: Transmission/Shifting problems

triehl87, Middletown, CT, March 16, 2010, 06:55

Ive taken excellent care of my car. I love her to pieces! But lately, I want to drive her off a cliff! It happened out of no where. I was driving home when all of a sudden, the car POPPED into gear (very hard) and the check engine light when on. I drove home slow and the car was very rough. When I turned it off and back on later, the light was off. But once I started driving again, it would pop into gear hard again, and the CE light would turn back on immediately. This happened most of the time while driving for about 4 days. Now today, I tried to drive and the car wouldnt shift. Going only 20 mph, the rpm's were up to almost 4. I didnt want to push the car to make it shift in fear for what would happen. Is my tranny shot?? I cant drive it to a place for a diagnostics!

• Medium-star Best Answer
    Visitor, April 07, 2010, 07:51

Sounds like a similar situation to the one I'm in. The problem appears to be the input and output speed sensors. Which tell the transmission when to shift. You should be able to pull off a do it yourself repair for under 100 mine cost about 70 the pair and toook care of the problem.

jerbar123, February 26, 2013, 18:57

Where is the Input sensor. I found th output. sits right on top. Can't find the input sensor. 2004 Elantra

kayc06 June 10, 2010, 06:12

I am having just about the same problem. My problem is when I push on the gas at around 20 mph the rpm's will rev up to 4-5 yet the car will not go any faster and will not shift into second gear. I have found that if I come to a compleat stop it some times helps. I have been told it was my speed sensor and my transmission needs to be flushed and changed. What have you heard? or what have you done to fix the problem?