Subaru Q&A

1993 Subaru Impreza Question: Transmission Problems Maybe?????

hubbub2387, 1.8L 4 Cylinder, Woodbridge, VA, September 18, 2010, 22:00

I'll try to explain this as best as I can. So I have a 1993 Subaru Impreza. When I'm driving the RPM's will jump up and down. I'll have it in drive going like 45 and the RPM's will be at around 2,000. Then they'll just jump up to around 4,000 or so. Sometimes it corrects itself and drops back down or I have to let off the gas a little. And it jumps practically no matter what speed I'm at. I don't know if this matters but it has sportshift so i can shift from 1st to 2nd to 3rd and then to drive. But when I'm in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd the RPM's dont jump at all. I've been told everything from it could be a transmission problem to it could be a throttle sensor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks-
Matthew

September 19, 2010, 12:03

Sounds like your automatic transmission is downshifting sproadically. It could well be a throttle position sensor (TPS) problem, but the first thing I think of is the transmission fluid level and condition. Is the fluid up to the mark when warmed up and is it clean? if the fluid is good and up to the mark, get the TPS checked, but other things could cause it. Check the TPS first, I'd say..
    Hereis a directory link for you:

• Medium-star Best Answer
    Visitor, October 12, 2010, 11:25

So i have the exact same problem.
    i noticed every time the rpms jump that this little green light that says power on
    So i am somewhat thinking that it is getting stuck on or something, because before the problem the light would turn on when i would floor it, however now it just feels like its stuck on. The car also seems to down shift very hard. So i dont really know what the problem is or how to fix it, but if anyone knows, let us know!
    Thanks, bryce

Visitor, January 24, 2011, 05:34

I notice my car only does that when it's cold, it shifts constantly and it' kind of annoying but after it warms up it seems to be fine

July 09, 2012, 23:14

Hey I hate when people don't say if they got the problem fixed or not i have this exact same problem with my 93 so please tell me if you fixed this and what you did.

March 16, 2014, 21:47

Could you please tell me how you ended up fixing it??? I have the same car with the same exact problem and the mechanics aren't helping me fix it. Please please, say how it ended!