Transmission problems on 1993 Geo Metro

I have a 1993 Geo Metro convertible. I just replaced the clutch plate and drove it this morning for the first time. After 30 miles, the transmission slipped out of 5th gear and would not re-engage. After another 15 miles, the transmission started a grinding noise. What could the problem be?

by in Meansville, GA on August 29, 2010
1 answer
ANSWER by on January 04, 2011
Mine is doing the same thing. Might be coincidence that it went out right after replacing the clutch. My guess is the fifth gear is stripped and worn out. Some small foreign cars have a plate allowing for access to the fifth gear without pulling the tranny.
I put the car in 1rst gear and the engine will excelerate but not move same with all the rest of the gears . What is the problem ? (manual transmission)
Sometimes, when I put my 96 Geo Metro in reverse it does not move. It just started about a week ago (04-19-2011 - 04-22-2011). I checked the transmission fluid and it seeme to be low. Would low tra...
Recently, my Geo has a tendency to loose acceleration at around 65 mph and doesn't pick back up until around 50-55. Motor doesn't stall but I depress accelerator and nothing happens. Is doing sam...
The 2nd gear in my 5-speed transmission went out. Car only has 75,000 miles, used to drive around town. Don't know if I should try to replace transmission or buy new car. Blue book used value for...
acode po705 came up my friend changed the transmission filter,fluid,screenand the oil oil filter