transmission problems on 1996 Ford Taurus

hello my name is breyawn and i have had my car for 3 years used and its has given me some problems and a used car should but recently i wanted to go out this pass saturday but could not because i did not have enough gas so i called it an night but when sunday rolled around my mother wanted me to take her shopping so we drove my car around the corner a block away to get gas i then turn the car off to pump as i should but when i turn the car on and tried to drive away to my suprise i could not go forward almost as if i was in a free spin like in neurtal, well i could but only at about 2 mph but when i put it in reverse it was fine so i had to drive the car in reverse all the way home...what could be the problem. plz help!!

by in Philadelphia, PA on March 28, 2010
2 answers
ANSWER by on March 28, 2010
speed sensor
ANSWER by on March 31, 2010
it sounds like the forward clutches are burned up and failed. whatever it is, you have an internal problem. take it to a transmission shop for a proper diag. Roy
I still have not found the vacuum leak. Is there a vacuum line to the transmission or would vacuum cause the transmission to shift differently? Would the vacuum leak cause the automatic transmissi...
The fluid in my taurus is now dark and smells burnt. So, I guess I will be replacing the tranny. Someone locally has an AX4S available from a 2000 Windstar. Would this one work for me? Wikipedi...
Did not see under service selection Automatic transmission
I am hoping it is not the transmission, could it be the PCM? No, I have not had any transmission oil leakage and the level is good. I've not had any signs of trouble either.