Transmission problems... on 2001 Volvo V70

I noticed in the previous posting about Idol and shifting that someone mentioned about transmission problems with the 2001 V70. I was just interested in finding out more about it. My V70 has 115k miles and just had to have a new transmission. I did every required service and actually brought up to the dealer that it was running a bit rough but they did not find anything. 4 months later I had to replace the transmission. I never had problems like this with my Honda or my husband's Honda which is at 160k. It rides beautiful now but it seems a bit young to have to replace the transmission.

by in Redwood City, CA on April 21, 2009
2 answers
ANSWER by on April 22, 2009
Most all automakers have issues with their automatic transmissions at some time. Look at Ford Explorers, Chrysler Minivans and even Honda had problems on some of the Accord Models. These V70's had some shift quality issues that were resolved with updated software, sometimes replacement of the valve body was needed, and at other times the transmission would need replacement. I saw several go out with much less miles than your, so 115K is pretty good.
1 person likes thisFlag inappropiateReply
ANSWER by on May 05, 2011
I agree with previous answer the transmission is the component that takes the most abuse on the car in the 100k miles think of how many times it has shifted combined with most of the type of driving in the bay area it is quite hard on it. Also the car wieghs a lot more than the other car you mention so it also adds to the issue...
There are several common complaints regarding Volvo V70 transmission shifting issues. Long shift times between gear shifts, hard shifting, hard downshifting and a loss of transmission operati...
My transmission regularly fails to shift from second to third gear, but will work when warmed up, usually. What would a replacement transmission cost if I couldn't repair the existing one. Thanks CJ
transmission replacement
I had to replace my transmission after 110,000 miles. I currently have 174,000 and the factory re-build replacement has now failed. It only got 64,000 miles. I spent 3,600.00 a few years ago. Now...
Is there any filter in my Volvo V70's auto gearbox (AW XJS)or its a filter free type of auto transmission?