Transmission Problems on 1992 Honda Accord

I need help! I know that I have a common problem with this generation accord, but I can't seem to fix it. I have a 92 accord ex with an auto trans. The d4 light started flashing and the vehicle would not go in 3rd or 4th. I looked at a lot strings and blogs of others that had this problem and the tcu or vss seemed to be the main culprits. I have a buddy who is a "mechanic" and he thought it was the torque converter. But the problem didn't occur about 25% of the time and the car ran fine, so I was thinking computer or electrical and not mechanical. I called my local dealer and for the price of a diagnostic, I could buy a new vss and tcu off of ebay, so I did. Unfortunately, this didn"t fix the problem. So I went ahead and got a used tranny and had mu buddy put it in. The car ran fine for about 30 mins and then the d4 light started flashing and the car feels like it's starting now in 3rd or 4th gear. I think this must be the limp home mode that some people mention. This is frustrating because now it is doing the exact opposite of what the original problem was with a different trans, new tcu and vss. someone please help! Ian 775-830-5455

by in Fernley, NV on June 19, 2009
2 answers
ANSWER by on July 31, 2009
This is a great example of how a proper diagnosis in the beginning is the way to address these types of problems. Now look at all the time and money wasted, and the problem is still not fixed. I hope others read this and learn from it. I'm sorry you had to go through all this, but you made a big mistake by taking this approach. Now not only does it need to be diagnosed by a professional, but you probably have created more problems with this repair approach.
ANSWER by on August 23, 2009
did u chang the tcm #918-906-1180
Automatic transmission failures are common, Automatic transmission failure on these vehicles will generally require overhaul or replacement of the transmission. In the event of a  failure, it ...
On certain models, a transmission solenoid can short-circuit and illuminate the Check Engi...
I have heard that flushing the transmission is the solution.
Transmission "D" light has started blinking. Use to blink a little long time ago but now blinks constantly. Car and transmission workd normally. Fluid level is normal.
Basically I'm just wondering how often I should replace my transmission fluid? My car has ~150,000 miles on it, and the last change was at 100,000.