Transmission problem on 2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Earlier this year I had to have my car towed becuase the alternater belt broke and the car died. It was snowing that day so i had it in 4 wheel drive. I had to leave the car and I'm not sure if it was still in 4wheel drive when it was towed. The day after I got the car back, the reverse quit working, it also doesn't shift the way it should when in drive. Could this have bent or damage a linkage in the transmission and cause this type of problem. I had not transmission problems at all before this incident.

by in Dayton, OH on October 02, 2009
1 answer 1 comment
ANSWER by on October 02, 2009
It could very well be that your transmission was damaged during the tow. They should ALWAYS use a flatbed to tow any AWD/4WD vehicle or this can/will happen.
COMMENT by on October 02, 2009
Thanks for your reply. Do you know where I can get a picture of what my transmission should look like. My brother knows a lot about cars and is going to look at it for me. Would be nice to have some type of diagram picture.
Just bought a Suzuki Grand Vitara with a rebuilt engine, my concern is the transmission. The transmission fluid was brown and had a slight burnt smell to it, how long do they usually last? Thanks,...
The automatic transmission may not shift when cold due to debris on the output speed sensor. There is a revised output speed sensor and software update available which should correct this concern.
while i was driving i made a stop and all the transmission blew out of the unit onto the ground. what should i look for under the car?