Transmission problem on 2000 Oldsmobile Silhouette

My van is giving me problems with the transmission. I have to manually go through the gears. If I put it in drive it will not move. I actually have to put it in first, then move it to second, then to third, then eventually i can put it in drive once i get to 40-45 mph. It is literally like a stick shift. Any ideas what is wrong and how much it would cost to fix?

by in Lincoln, NE on April 04, 2009
2 answers 1 comment
ANSWER by on April 04, 2009
It sounds like there is an internal fault with your transmission. As you have found out, the transmission operates differently depending on if you leave it in drive or shift yourself. I would suspect that 1st gear as applied when the shifter is in "drive" is not working - however, the way it applies in "first" is ok. You may need the help of a good transmission shop to help you confirm this fault. There are to many variables involved to give an extimate at this time. Depending on the mileage on your Sillouette a transmission overhaul or replacement may be necessary.
ANSWER by on December 05, 2010
you need a transmission its going to cost about 200 all together to fix
COMMENT by on December 05, 2010
The tranny went totally out and we had to get a rebuilt one and cost us about $2,400! I wish it would have only cost $200!
The transmission pressure control solenoid may fail causing erratic shifting. Our technicians tell us that partial dis-assembly of the transmission is necessary to replace a failed pressure contr...
The rubber section of an automatic transmission cooler line may develop a fluid leak . In som...
When going along and need to increase gas just slightlty to maintain speed (whether in cruise or not) the engine will jerk but if I let off the accellerator and then press it again it is fine!