Oldsmobile Q&A

2000 Oldsmobile Silhouette Question: Transmission problem

pancake1271, Lincoln, NE, April 04, 2009, 17:31

My van is giving me problems with the transmission. I have to manually go through the gears. If I put it in drive it will not move. I actually have to put it in first, then move it to second, then to third, then eventually i can put it in drive once i get to 40-45 mph. It is literally like a stick shift.

Any ideas what is wrong and how much it would cost to fix?

• Medium-star Best Answer
    Russ April 04, 2009, 21:10

It sounds like there is an internal fault with your transmission. As you have found out, the transmission operates differently depending on if you leave it in drive or shift yourself. I would suspect that 1st gear as applied when the shifter is in "drive" is not working - however, the way it applies in "first" is ok. You may need the help of a good transmission shop to help you confirm this fault. There are to many variables involved to give an extimate at this time. Depending on the mileage on your Sillouette a transmission overhaul or replacement may be necessary.

Visitor, December 05, 2010, 19:15

you need a transmission its going to cost about 200 all together to fix

Visitor, December 05, 2010, 21:07

The tranny went totally out and we had to get a rebuilt one and cost us about $2,400! I wish it would have only cost $200!