Transmission Problem on 1995 Mazda Protege

Total Miles on car: 211K Car drives as expected in 1st or 2nd Gear When you switch to Drive the RPM spikes quite high. When i get the car upto 50mph the RPM is just over 5000. I don't dare try 65mph The car also stutters when I'm in Drive. Often when sitting at a red light the car will temporarily stall when I attempt step on the gas peddle to go. It's as if i were hitting the gas while the car is in neutral. I'm sure it's the transmission. How much can I do on my own before I have to fork over $$$ to a mechanic?

by in Wallkill, NY on September 30, 2010
1 answer 1 comment
ANSWER by on September 30, 2010
211k on a Protege Transmission is really a lot of miles, they are known to be a bit delicate. It is time to have some work done to your trans, could even need an overhaul. I see many Protege Transmissions go by 100k and I used to work as a Tech in a Mazda Dealership.
COMMENT by on September 30, 2010
Thanks for that. I clearly got stuck with a lemon. it's a shame, it maneuvers so well. Well, I really can't get rid of the car (I tried posting on Craigslist -- and I was honest); What I'd like to do now is use it to learn with. Apart from the Car's manual, where can I get some solid technical info on the car. I think I can make turn this lemon into lemonade.
If the engine stalls when coming to a stop, check the automatic transmission fluid (ATF) level. Low ATF fluid level can cause the torque converter lock-up to stay on, stalling the engine.
When I turn on the motor, the over drive transmission light goes on and off and once I begin to drive the car it feels heavy and slow. It does not properly change gears when its suppose to. The lit...
I just had a new transmission put in my 2003 Mazda Protege. After picking it up from the mechanics on the way home, the AT light started flashing. What is it and why is it flashing?
I need a transmission for my 1994 Mazda Protege' LX and i was wondering if there is any difference between a 1994 and a 1995 transmission in the mazda protege LX.
transmission slips a little at takeoff but shifts fine through all the gears and od. but in reverse slips bad like a bad clutch then shudders and goes into gear.let off throttle it acts like its i...