Used on 4WD vehicles, the transfer case takes the power (torque) created by the engine and transmits it to the front and rear drive shafts.
Symptoms of Wear or Failure
- Illumination of the "Service 4WD" light
- Abnormal noise from center of vehicle while driving
- Chattering type noise when turning
- Fluid leak
Related Repair Advice
- The transfer case contains gears and bearings that are lubricated by oil. All oils and fluids in a vehicle should be changed as recommended by the manufacturer, or more frequently if you use your vehicle to tow or carry heavy loads.
- The correct fluid type should always be used when servicing the transfer case
- The transfer case may be a one or two speed design. Two speed transfer cases are commonly found in trucks and have a low range, which is used in severe conditions.