Reviews for Toyota Solara years:

Toyota Solara Reviews and Owner Comments

Toyota SolaraOwner Reviews (51 reviews)
    samanthafox, Oak Creek, WI, December 04, 2014 17:39
    had my toyota for 3 yrs,i love my car,now its rattling on the right side of engine,on the outside of it, i need to know what it could be, and how much too fix it, it makes a little rattling when on and parked and when i start giving gas at the begining and when i stop.
    JWM234, Lakeland, FL, August 05, 2014 18:42
    My 2005 Solara was a beautiful car, but now it looks ugly and in need of new paint, new dashboard, new glove box. The leather seats are separating and peeling. The arms rests are flat and very unattractive. I'm embarrassed to have any one ride in my car. As of now the car has almost 60,000 miles and runs really well just looks really bad. Debating having the care painted or just trade it in ? Also have put on new brakes.
    SR-2119, Concord, CA, March 09, 2014 19:20
    My "Black Beauty" gets looks all the time. I have even had a few "want to sell it?" questions on it as well. I bought it in North Carolina when I lived out there and drove it all the way to CA comfortably. I bought it in 2000 and am still in love with it
    texblonde2001, Houston, TX, August 08, 2013 10:19
    I love my Solara! Sporty, love the body style, drives great, has been reliable from the beginning. I had a 1995 Camry Coupe and traded it in for the '04 Solara. The '95 Camry was still running great in '05 when I traded it. I do agree with others that the only bad thing about the '04 Solara is the cracking dash. Wish there was a simple, relatively inexpensive solution to the problem - I don't like the velour dash covers.
    Visitor, Elmer, NJ, July 20, 2013 19:21
    bought my 1999 solara new. now has 322,000 miles on it. Has the 4 cylinder engine. I drive 80 miles round trip to work. Change oil every 3 thousand. I wish Toyota would start making them again. I would buy another in an instant!
    Visitor, Endicott, NY, March 15, 2013 09:25
    The best car I've ever owned. Can't say enough about its reliability and appearance. Have recently replaced the struts and it rides like new.
    Visitor, Veradale, WA, February 14, 2013 14:25
    well. my first one (I bought another with 108,000 miles) went... are you ready for this... 358,000 miles, I replace the first timing belt at 318,000 had the Transmission rebuilt at 272,000 and replaced an alternator at 351,000. That is it, except for brakes, tires, light bulbs and oil changes. Everything else was original. Traded it in and bought a "new" 2001 one... (well "new" to me)
    Visitor, Beachwood, NJ, January 30, 2013 13:05
    Beautiful engine and overall performance but both of my windows have problems. The passenger side window wont go down, it came off the tracks and had to be permanently rolled up. And my driver's side window needs a new motor and makes a terrible screeching sound.
  • 2007 Toyota Solara
    Visitor, Aubrey, TX, December 17, 2012 04:47
    I got a 07 Toyota Scion TC Limited Edition or my Birthday brand new. As a matter of fact there were only a few of this particular model made. It has been an awesome car. Very pretty Pearl white. I now have over 130k miles on it and I have only experienced tire problems and really nothing more. I owned two other Scions prior to this one.All of which were brand new when my husband purchased them. The very 1st Scion,I totalled within 3 dys after we purchased it. Some one hit me from the side. I ended up with a broken neck and my car was not repairable.I survived the crash though. For that I am thankful. Once I recovered,my husband went out and bought me the same,baby blue Scion like the one wrecked. I am getting ready to buy another car and give this Scion to my daughter. I really want the new sporty model. I saw one the other day and I love it. I felt so lucky when I got my 07 Scion. I had the only one like it in my home town of Shreveport,LA.
    Visitor, Melbourne, FL, December 06, 2012 04:17
    2005 Toyota Solara, beautiful, except for 3 issues: 1. The dashboard is cracked all across the top of the instrument panel and down the sides to the windows and down to the radio. Have estimates to replace at $1,800.00. 2. Has a slight hesitation when I push the gas pedal. 3. When I put the convertible top down or up my radio fades out.
    Visitor, Brooklyn, NY, October 12, 2012 08:29
    I have a 2005 Toyota Solara Convertible with 32,000 miles on it. I have replaced all four brakes twice, now it needs motor mounts. Change the oil every few months. The car runs great slight hesitation which has always been there when I accelerate. The brakes and motor mounts are troubling me I don't know if I am being ripped off by the mechanic. Just was quoted $500 for front brakes and rotors and $400 for motor mounts.
    Visitor, Naperville, IL, August 19, 2012 21:45
    I have a 2004 Toyota Solara convertible and the inside is falling apart. The dash board is cracking everywhere and the arm rest are all wrinkle.I owne 3 lexus and those cars are fantastic. Very desappointed with Toyota. I went to see if they would do anything to help the situation without any success.
    patrick1952, Fort Lauderdale, FL, August 15, 2012 10:00
    ALL great except serious cracking in dashboard. Toyota recognizes the issue but so far refuses to accept responsiblity
    chanceme, Portland, OR, May 25, 2012 17:41
    Great car,take care of it and get really good tires,put new tires on mine at 77,0000 Drives like a champ. I use synethic oil seems to love it,interior could have been a little better,Engine is great,love me Some Solara...:)
    Visitor, Joshua, TX, May 03, 2012 05:29
    Overall my Solara is a champ. I can leave it running and no one can tell. That is how smooth it is. Passing on the highway is no problem, it will get you where you need to be in no time flat. My radio AM/FM/CD keeps cutting off and on. I also hear a loud squick when turning the steering wheel first thing in the morning, more so in the colder days. I have less than 50k miles. I had no problems with the radio until I took it in for a oil change just after we moved to this area. I wonder if they could of done something wrong and that is my problem? Other than those two things, the engine has no problems. I just now have to replace the tires right at 50k only by choice, being female don't want to be out there changing a tire. Hope I still have this Solara when my grandson drives.
    Visitor, Sierra Vista, AZ, April 05, 2012 17:00
    My 1999 Solara is a dream, I love the way it rides and living in AZ I was able to install headers and a Borla exhaust and she loves to run!!!
    Visitor, Tell City, IN, November 15, 2011 10:50
    I own a 1999 Solara with the 3.0L V6 with 328,000 miles on it. I bought it in Feb of 2002 with approx. 40,000 miles. I use Amsoil Full Synthetic 5W 30 engine oil and have since about 70,000 miles. I also use Sea Foam in the oil to combat the sludge problem with Toyota's motor. I change the oil about every 10,000-15,000 miles and towards the end of the cycle, I add the Sea Foam. This combination has worked well to this point. The car doesn't smoke, still gets close to 29 mpg, and will still do a pretty decent burnout. It does use a little oil, but it's leaking from the valve cover gasket, not burning it. I have only replaced O2 sensors, brake booster and the front axle as far as non-routine maintenance. Routine stuff like plugs & wires, timing belt, water pump, are just part of keeping one going. This car has treated me well and will hopefully get me close to another 100,000 miles before she dies. Still on the original tranny too. Did a trans flush around 230,000 and replaced all old fluid with Amsoil ATF.
    Upsetdad, Rumford, RI, October 01, 2011 13:47
    head gasket leak, my daugther brought the car Dec 2010, around March head gasket started leaking, I believe the dealership had some knowledge about this vehicle, also had to replace power steering pump. This toyota solara, I nothing but trouble and suck the money right out of my pocket, she needs a car to get to school and work. causing much stress in my house right now. Brought the car as is, with 90 day return policy, which we just missed.
    lbl03c, Debary, FL, September 04, 2011 21:20
    I got my 2006 Solara SLE with 200,000 miles on it but that didn't bother me! Everything under the hood is dry, clean and was well maintained by the first owner! I love cruising with the top down. This is the first super nice car I have ever had where everything was actually working on it! The only issue I have is the transmission seems to jerk a tiny bit when getting in to the last gear. It's like the transmission lets go for a split second and then grabs back on.
    Visitor, Mount Laurel, NJ, August 24, 2011 12:21
    Is it unusual to have to replace the drive belt on a 2008 Solara with just under 50,000 miles? How often do the tires last on this car? Also is it common to replace the breaks at under 50,000 miles?
    JWert, Toledo, OH, July 24, 2011 18:42
    Got 125K and have only had to do routine maintenance. NO other issues. Still has all original major components. About to do some suspension work. Horrible roads are the cause. GREAT CAR!!! LOVE IT!
    Visitor, East Fairfield, VT, June 15, 2011 09:54
    Purchased new Labor Day week-end 1999. Going on 12 yrs. and closing in on 258,000 miles it is by far the best car I've ever owned. Other than routine maintenance and regular oil changes it has also been the least expensive car to maintain I've ever owned. Still get 28 - 30 mpg. I finally have to replace the catalytic converter, and once I do I hope to get at least another 100,000 miles out of it before I retire it. Awesome car!
    Visitor, San Antonio, TX, June 01, 2011 07:47
    I have 150k in my 2002 Toyota Solara but I found out that it is burning oil and will need an engine rebuilt or just keep adding oil every week. Anyone else having the same problem?
    Visitor, Watertown, NY, April 09, 2011 02:09
    Purchased new in 2000 now has 250,000km, manual transmission. Excellent car. One nagging issue. Since new the car has a miss at light throttle around 2000 rpm. EGR changed when new. A review of operation shows all cylinder intermittanly miss. No error codes, plugs recently changed. Anybody out there have any idea what is wrong.
    Visitor, Auburndale, FL, February 09, 2011 10:08
    202k, Reliable and still running well. Minor repairs and maintenance schedule makes it last.
    Visitor, Dandridge, TN, January 05, 2011 17:56
    Bought new V6 SE, and has 96,000 miles, great car with acceleration, on the highway 80 mph (3100 RPM) is no problem with more acceleration available. Suspension is full and provides a very soft ride. Road noise is near nil to none, cornering is good. I think Toyota went overboard with security feature, this car will auto lock in 10 seconds! (or less). Even if the car is locked, if I stand outside reach though the open window and unlock it the alarm sounds. The exterior body panels are thin and soft as they have taken major dents from door dings from day #1. Overall probably the best car that I ever owned.
    Visitor, Indianapolis, IN, December 19, 2010 17:49
    Love my 2006 Solara Convertible SLE...cannot fathom why Toyota has quit making these. By far, the best car I've ever owned and I've been driving convertibles for 18yrs now. With over 70k miles, this car has been extremely reliable, very low maintenance (only needed the basics, such as tires, oil, & one set of brake pads about 5k miles ago). Good trunk space for a drop top. Got in a wreck in mine and it held up extremely well...I drove away, while the other car did not. (Thankfully, no one was injured.) Overall, just an awesome car and would happily by another when this one is ready to go...if Toyota starts making them again. Praying ours doesn't give out any time soon because we just love it.
    Visitor, Killeen, TX, December 07, 2010 19:06
    Well my 02 toyoota solara is used every day to drive about 200 miles a day n she has 236748 miles on her n still running like a champ i love3 it hilley recamend it itll work n last forever just got to kkeep up with ur tune ups but great car
    Visitor, Carnesville, GA, November 21, 2010 10:06
    I have a 1999 Solara V6 that has 275,000 and has been a fantastic car. I drive A LOT and this car handles so well that I hope it lasts another 275K. Other than typical maintenance this car has needed very little. I'm taking it in this week for new spark plugs, manifold gasket, oxygen sensor and timing belt and plan to keep this car as long as possible.
    Visitor, Roselle, IL, November 13, 2010 21:18
    I have a 2005, 89K. I can't beat the reliability. I didn't need brakes until 70K. I get 34 mpg on the highway. I've only had to have something fixed once. The pasenger window would travel beyond the top stop. Everything else has been routine maintenance at my discretion. I'd buy Toyota again.
    Visitor, Carrollton, OH, November 13, 2010 21:05
    2008 Toyoata Solara Convertible. I can't say that I am pleased with my Solara. I brought it in march 2010 with only 4600 miles on it. Within the first month, the front it shimmy's like it is going out, the tires don't hold air very well, the roof leaks when it rains or you wash it and the gas mileage for a small engine is only around 23 miles to the gallon outside of the city. Now we have to find a good honest Toyota dealer to have it looked at.
    Visitor, Austin, TX, November 05, 2010 07:37
    My 2005 SLE is the best car I've ever had.
    Visitor, Fletcher, NC, September 08, 2010 09:30
    I love my 2000 Solara and am VERY upset that Toyota quit making them AGAIN!!!! My next one would be the convertible. How can we rally to get them to produce them again????? 103K and going strong!!!
    Visitor, Tarrytown, NY, September 03, 2010 11:21
    If you have a Solara with California emissions you are charged up to 30 times the normal cost for emission repairs. Toyota dealerships seem to control this situation which in turn continue to give Toyota a declining public image. The dealerships are turning into a version of GM arrogance. After many years with Toyota I am turning elsewhered.
    WoodyWoodworth, Canoga Park, CA, July 18, 2010 12:46
    I have a 2004 Toyota Solara Convertible love the car It also leaks on the drivers side after a wash or rain storm. But my main question is when we first start the car most of the time I get a big cloud of white smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe. But as it warms up no smoke but shut it off and let it sit for 1 hr or more start up and white smoke Thanks Woody
    Visitor, Houston, TX, July 14, 2010 06:27
    Toyoyta settled a lawsuit involving several models 1997 to 2002 years regarding excessive engine oil sludge. In most cases you will not know you have this problem unless you take it to a dealer for a tear down (cost about $105), but if your car has the problem it costs you nothing and Toyota will issue a case number and fix it free. Warranted unlimited mileage/8 years on this problem. Kudos to Toyota for acknowledging their issues and ordering recalls on their vehicles. I love this car and appreciate Toyota NOT IGNORING customers complaints. And despite problems in 2010 will only buy Toyota products now because they don't leave the customer to bear the expense of engineering errors.
    Visitor, Jasper, IN, June 20, 2010 20:03
    I have a 2000 Toyota Solara SLE (V-6) and I love this car!! It has 224k. and still kickin!! Of course all of the standard maintance needs have been met when they were needed. (oil, fluids, etc.) Only real thing I have had to put much money on has been my front tie rods but that has more to do with MI roads!! :) But I am in love with car! I love it and suggest it to any person!! Or at least this model/year.
    mrchrizz, Binghamton, NY, June 06, 2010 20:35
    OMG I love this car! It has now about 102k, bought it at 100k. Despite some age related problems and the fact that the preowner obviously never took care of it, it works great so far. The drive is extremely smooth and before my oxygen sensor broke (which already lasted 40k longer than recommend to exchange) it had a great gas mileage. I own a V6 SLE and the pick up is not strong anymore, I also think its just an airflow problem related to the oxygen sensor though. Overall as long as the car got a decent maintenance it is awesome and definitely worth its money! Despite the minor problems I do not regret to buy it at all.
    Visitor, Portland, OR, May 17, 2010 14:07
    I am a college student and got my 99 Solara used at about 70000 miles. It now has 172000 miles. So far I have had the tires replaced, lights kept going out but that is not a big issue, and had my rear brakes replaced. Besides that just the normal routine stuff. Overall I have really enjoyed this car. It looks sharp, had a lot of spunk to it and has taken a lot of travel and abuse from what is expected from a poor college student. My transmission has just gone out though and I am looking at spending 1500 dollars for a new one. That is why I am on here looking to see if it would be worth it for me to purchase a new transmission or scrap the car at 172K miles. ..... So far I think the new transmission might be worth it.
    Visitor, Brockton, MA, April 22, 2010 17:24
    This car runs like a dream great on gas nice interior very sporty good pick up and a smooth ride on the highway
    Visitor, South Gate, CA, April 06, 2010 15:05
    Ive had my solara for about 3 years now, and I am more than happy. This is my 4th car and im only 20 years old. I have no complains. great with gas, no major issues!! Could not have asked for more
  • 2007 Toyota Solara
    Visitor, Anaheim, CA, March 28, 2010 11:58
    I have had no problems whatsoever with this car. Mine is a convertible. after 48,000, I now see that I have a small leak between the rubber and the window on the drivers side. The rubber has to be replaced. I owned it in Florida for 2 years and now in California so that hot sun didn't help this problem. I love my car!
    ExpensiveYota, Hanford, CA, January 13, 2010 23:36
    Awesome car. takes a beating from the owner, (me) i hit everything. There always seems to be some electrical problem. Besides that, it runs great, looks good, and great gas mileage.
    gcbretired, Carson City, NV, December 04, 2009 19:29
    This is my third Solara. Friends and relatives have the other two. All have been great, no problems. Am disappointed Solara's are not longer available.
    tad6612, Homer Glen, IL, November 16, 2009 15:18
    130000 miles and still going strong with routine maintanence
    ken0512, Columbia, MD, September 29, 2009 08:28
    I love my 2006 Solara V-6 and have had no real problems other than routine things like brakes and tires, but when I took my car to the dealer for its 90,000 mile service they told me I needed a long list of other services like belt and spark plug replacements and fluid flushes that will cost around $2400 with the 90,000 mile service. That was quite a shock. Maybe I should trade it in for a new one.
  • 2003 Toyota Solara
    cookin1941, Middletown, OH, August 26, 2009 21:32
    nice small car...hard to beat over 170000 miles
    merkur11520, Freeport, NY, July 03, 2009 11:44
    overall its an excellent car, goog on gas and reliable. although when that check engine light comes on its most likely the air fuel ratio sensor that sits on top of the motor block. the cheapest u can get that part for is 160.10 from any toyota website. i was a toyota sales rep for 10 years. just go online and u can pretty much by genuine toyota partsonline on there website. don't go to the private auto parts stores they will charge you more money for that same part. one parts store had it listed for
    gearshift, Middle Island, NY, April 15, 2009 12:00
    Have 75K on my 2000 Solara. Very happy with overall performance & reliability
    godfather, Winter Park, FL, April 06, 2009 13:04
    reliable car, good body style, no major problems
    Timo, Canton, MA, November 09, 2008 19:59
    Minor engine issues but good overall.