Toyota Sequoia Reviews

Toyota Sequoia Reviews and Owner Comments

I loved my 2001 Sequoia. It does have issues though. People really need to look at the reports on NHTSA. My ASC would go off randomly on dry roads going anywhere from 5 mph to 65 mph. Never was I skidding. This eventually led to the demise of the vehicle. On 1/6/15 an electrical fire started in the engine while I was driving my son to school. The brakes went out at a red light and then embers were coming out from under the truck. Thankfully we were able to get out. It eventually imploded the windshield into the car and the flames were a good 20 feet over the car. We are shaken, but alive. The car is a total loss due to issues Toyota has refused to recall. Yet the 2002 Sequoia had the same issue and got recalled. Anyone thinking about buying one of these needs to read blogs and complaints filed with NHTSA.
Great dependable truck has the 4WD still a comfortable refined sport utility the kids are grown but I can't sell it because it's a great SUV. I do get brakes and calipers replaced offer also heard about recall with the ball joints on Sequoias so took to dealer for a fix. Since its older now found an reliable mechanic who does great repairs on my Sequoia driving it now at 218,000 miles never have had issues with nothing it does drink a lot of gas but totally a dependable horseman
I have great experience in my SUV Sequoia 2002. The current odometer reading was 218,236 miles bought it Brand New. I also have some expenses incurred while keeping this transportation but it all worth keeping it. Like other my VSC and engine check light also cost my SMOG check to fail I wish the Toyota will have this failure recalled and corrected
I really enjoyed the Toyota the first two years then the rear power window stopped working. Then the power antenna stopped working. The third row is only for kids. I also had Trac lights come on the dealer was of no help. My driver door handle broke off on the inside.
Own a 2012 Sequoia Platinum. 30,000 miles on it. Kids love it, plenty of room, great on long trips. Engine noise is horrible. 5.7L produces plenty of power, but instead of a powerful and throaty exhaust note from the rear, I get a ton of clicking, buzzing and whining from under the hood. Annoying enough that I wouldn't buy again. A $65,000 vehicle should not sound like this.
We bought our 2002 Sequoia limited and runs great. However, in 2010 we had major issues with the vsc and trac lights and the swervy car light coming on. It came on as I was driving it and it swerved and then stalled- it seemed to be forcing the engine when I tried to at least get it off the road. After several trips and weeks without my car- the toyota dealer said it didn't find anything wrong and the computer system seemed fine. I drove it home and then it happened again. After 2 months, and 4 tries from an independant car shop, they found the main computer system needed to be replaced. I paid well over 1k after paying toyota $200 to do nothing and another $250 to replace something that may have caused the issue- but continued happening- I was out of pocket about $1500. I complained and looked for 2002 recall- and after calling toyota- they said my car was not under the recall. I've been waiting to see if they recall and reported to NHTS, but nothing yet. It's the exact same problem described in 2004-05 year models but for some reason they don't go back to earlier models. A real headache when it comes to dealing with Toyota.
Have a 2012 Sequoia Limited. Exceptional vehicle and excellent ride. Plenty of room for family on long trips, and enough torque to tow anything you have, plus big brakes to stop you in a hurry. Quality of interior has dropped slightly than my previous Toyotas, but still far superior to anything Ford or GMC has to offer. Thus the 4 stars. Air conditioning is the one thing that Toyota has never mastered. I own 4 Toyotas (2 tundras, 4-ruuner, and Sequoia) none of them cool really well in the Louisiana summer heat 100+ deg/100% humidity, but keep the vehicle cool enough that no one complains. Other than the AC, a Toyota can not be beat for the price.
I just purchased a new 2012 Platinum Sequoia. The issue I am having is with engine noise. Any time I press the accelerator for more speed or power, I get an annoying buzz from the engine. I didn't have this with my 2008 Sequoia which I liked much better than this 2012 so far. Also, the steering is very stiff....hope this will loosen up with some miles on it.
For several years I have been having my brake light come on after being stopped for a few minutes -Sequoia running) I go o stop and it sounds like a clashing of cansin the front end and stopping is diffult to do. I turn the engine off and back on and away i go waitng for the next occurance which may be weeks away or tomorrow--This has NOT happened at a speed meaning that the light comes on from the stopped mode but unless I am watching my dash instead of the road i do not know the light is on-any ideas
We family of 4 purchesed out Sequoia on 2005 and we have had good trails stories to tell we are happy with this vehicle. we recently had the brakes changed and recommedations were made by the authorized technician to replace the wheel berings. I higly remcomend to do this work at a certified toyota sevice dealer. with repagards to the brakes a wish toyota had a recal on the rotors to small for the Sequoia 4.7L . My next SUV will be another Sequoia.
the vsc and trac lights just come on suddenly at slow to moderate speeds (5-60 mph) and the car swerves violently to the left side and then it tracks straight again. this does not happen again provided the vsc and trac lights are on. But when you turn the engine off, the computer resets itself so when you re-start it happens again. this is so scary and there is no cheap fix to this so i disconnected the vsc wire connecting to the brake reservoir and viola no more scary swerving. I wish toyota would issue a recall and fix this very scary defect.
I have a 2001 Sequoia, bought in 03 with 38,000. I now as of today 8-24-11 have 229,367. I cant say a bad word about it,what i've done flushed tranny, brakes timming belt at 170,000. but now my issue; my brake booster and master cylinder need replacing i decided to go with used on both(about 300 for both) as opposed to new about 2000. does anyone know how to put them in? thanks, Hambone
Love my 2004 Sequoia. However, our TRAC OFF and the VSC TRAC lights also came on just under two years ago. When I took it to the dealership at that time they also quoted the repairs around $2300 (software/hardware component I believe?). Just this week I had to get a new brake booster and ECU for the ABS installed and the water pump replaced which was $1,616. Fortunately I had purchased an extended warranty when I bought the car which I would recommend for these cars if your buying used. My warranty cost just over $2,200 and covered the almost $4,000 in repair costs for the TCS issues, booster and water pump replacement!
2006 Sequioia. No major problems yet. But lots of little small issues that are annoyances.Also, some aspects are vehicle are not well thought out like seat warmers that are located such as can be very eaily turned on by accident
We bought the 2001 Sequoia before anyone else. As soon as it hit the dealership, it was ours. It has been the best vehicle we ahve ever had. We still have it at 140,000 miles. I just replaced the radiator, the only major repair we ahve had other then the brakes. You need to research teh TSB (Toyota Service Bullitens) for the brake issues. They were too small for the size of the vehicle and Toyota installed new, bigger, better rotors and calipers for the fornt. DO NOT take your Toyota Sequoia to anyone other than a dealership for brakes, we did and it turned into a nightmare. No one has the right parts (due to the TSB BR005-02) and they cannot replace them properly. Credit to Les Schwab for doing the right thing and refunding our moneyh because they could not get the brakes right. I would take any car to them, except my Sequoia. Good People (N. Cal). Again, I still have my 2001, and if you wax it and keep up th eservice, it will last forever!
Purchased our 2008 Sequoia within a few weeks of them hitting the showroom floor. Love it in almost all ways. It tows beautifully. I installed wireless adjustable air leveling suspension (bags that inflate inside the rear coil springs), for extra stability and leveling when towing and loaded with passengers. The engine and transmission are stellar, I actually think the engine broke in and gained more power from 0 miles thru about 35K. I have 44K now and the gain has seemed to have stabilized. It is quiet, gets reasonable fuel mileage even while towing thru the mountains of western Maryland and West Virginia I get 13 mpg. Best highway mileage without towing has been a bit over 18. It will get 10.5 to 11 if you start pushing hard and ignoring those annoying speed limit signs. The vehicle seems to do everything very well. Every seat in the vehicle will comfortably accommodate large adults (even the 3rd row of seats work great for my 6'3 father in law and my 6'5" friend. I cannot say that for the ford and chevy we test drove. The engine and transmission are a very robust combination, A friend tried to keep up with me in his Dodge Durango, (4.7 V8) loaded with his 4 person family while I had 4 passengers and a 4300 lb boat in tow and he could not keep up pulling large grades in the mountains. Now the down side. My front brake rotors keep warping and I am at the point at which I am going to spend a large pile of money on upgraded pads and rotors to try to cure the problem. The rear suspension is a little soft for towing trailers with a heavy tongue weight and the interior materials could be of a bit higher quality considering the nearly 60K I forked out for the vehicle. I have not had the vehicle to the dealer for any problems excluding the brake rotor warping problems I have experienced. I am on set # 3 for rotors now.
We bought our Sequoia brand new in 03. We have never had any trouble with it until now. I understand the brake and timming belt need to be replaced. That is normal wear and tear maint. However recently tht TRAC OFF and the VSC TRAC lights have come on. I took it to the dealership yesterday and for the repairs they want $2500. They say I need a new brake booster and ECU for the ABS. I did not get it fixed because this is a reocurring theme with this year model. I have read no less than 20 reviews with this problem this morning. I am sure there are more out there. Now if this keeps happening shouldnt this be a recall.
This is a great post. It's awesome to realize that car enthusiasts give importance to cars especially the Brake Pad Set.
I've had a number of ELECTRICAL ISSUES in the dash including lights going out but working a day or two later, & with the most recent being power surges which have ruined two cell phone chargers and caused a rechargeable flashlight's batteries to explode and catch papers in the console on fire, luckily while I was parked. Needless to say, am not using the chargers any more. Dealership keeps telling me nothing is wrong. Disappointing & Dangerous with no good answer.
I have a toyota Sequioa with 133K . The transmission went out and it is costing me 3K to get it replaced . Toyota knew the transmission was notany good in models 2000-2006 but they reused to recalll the product . My Toyota was purchased at Lustine Toyota in Woodbridge, VA. Im sickend by this as these vechicles are not cheap . I got more mileage out of an Nissn Maxmium that has over 200K miles and still running strong. I advise some of you to not speak to quick to give high remarks for this vehicle, check the blog on the internet .and you will see tons of people had to have their tranmission go out at 90-100K miles. Good luck
good truck but realu needs to work the AC, takes forever to cool
I bougt a 2002 toyota brand new but I have been having a problem with the smell of gas that comes inside when i accelerate to pass car or to go up a hill sometimes even just to reach the speed limit three times i took it to the deale and they could not find the probem
This vehicle passed to me after my dad purchased a 2009, currently has 80K miles on it and is on 2nd set of tires. Will be changing to new ones shortly. New brakes at 50k. Other than rear hatch lock breaking and a rusted undercarriage, is a great vehicle and I look forward to being able to get to 100K without issue. We did have all lights lit on the dash this past winter but I think it had to do with the extreme cold weather we had.
This SUV is the superior vehicle
We bought our 2001 in Nov 2000, the very first year they came out. Now 125,000 miles in 10 years and all we had were a TSB for the front brakes (they were not big enough for the car, and Toyota had a TSB to replace the front rotors and calipers with larger ones - all paid for by toyota). All we've done is replace tires and batteries. We had two rear hatch latches break, but I figured how to replace these myself - an $80 part, and about 1 hour of your time (with the right tools). You can get to the latch bolts if you remove the two circle rubber gromets on the back panel, use your 1/4 extension to get to them. easy as pie. use a phillips head to open the hatch (only works about 5 times as the screwdriver bend the inners and make it unusable). I just replaced the radiator, easy to get one delivered online, DON'T get one from the dealer (About $450 rip off dollars), I got mine for $200 delivered to my door! All in all, best Vehilce I ever bought!
Awsome tow-Vehicle
The 2002 sequoia limited we have is 100% fine! Has 178000000 miles & still runs like day one!Change oil every 2000 miles.People still stare at our big white suv.very dependable.$44 thousand well spent!
Bought this car new in 2002 only problem was rear hatch latch failure x2. This car is now at 138,000 miles and having a problem with TRAC OFF and VSC TRAC light on also.
Nuisance problems: Instr panel lights out: HiBeam light, Trac button light, Gear indicator (Drive). Overhead console Mode button broken - stuck on one setting. Car has 140,000 miles. Seat belts often bind. GAS GAUGE has bee erratic since car was out of warranty. Some problem with wife's 2001 Sequoia.
This is January 2010. I have owned my 2007 SR5 Sequoia since March 2007. This vehicle is primarily driven by my wife around town and highway...no "off rode". Noticed excessive tread wear on outside edge of tires around 30,000mi...especially on right side. The truck has low air pressure sensors for the tires, we have tires rotated every 5000mi with an oil change performed by Toyota dealer. I mentioned this to the dealer before my 35,000mi visit (which was right before warranty expiration) and was informed that the front end needed alignment. The dealer gave me an annual inspection sticker (in spite of the severe outer tread wear) but the wear continued. At 40,000mi, I inverted the tires to make them last as long as possible and to observe the wear. Now we are at 48,000 miles and both edges are worn out. The inner tread is still in great shape. Now don't misunderstand...I have no problem with replacing a set of tires around 50,000mi...I just think they should wear evenly! In addition, the water pump is leaking (have never needed to add antifreeze or water), the timing belt should be replaced and my front brakes are wore out. All this for a nominal fee of $2500. TIRES OKAY...THE REST...REDICULOUS !!! I own a 2005 GMC 2500 Savannah work van with 79,000mi that takes much more abusive driving conditions and the only repairs that have been made is a set of tires at 52,000mi which were evenly worn! In all things ... be thankful.