Reviews for Toyota Sequoia years:

Toyota Sequoia Reviews and Owner Comments

Toyota SequoiaOwner Reviews (35 reviews)
    JimSequoia, Oceanside, CA, October 09, 2014 13:55
    I have great experience in my SUV Sequoia 2002. The current odometer reading was 218,236 miles bought it Brand New. I also have some expenses incurred while keeping this transportation but it all worth keeping it. Like other my VSC and engine check light also cost my SMOG check to fail I wish the Toyota will have this failure recalled and corrected
    allformelv, Fontana, CA, May 29, 2014 03:58
    I really enjoyed the Toyota the first two years then the rear power window stopped working. Then the power antenna stopped working. The third row is only for kids. I also had Trac lights come on the dealer was of no help. My driver door handle broke off on the inside.
    Visitor, Toledo, OH, December 28, 2013 13:18
    Own a 2012 Sequoia Platinum. 30,000 miles on it. Kids love it, plenty of room, great on long trips. Engine noise is horrible. 5.7L produces plenty of power, but instead of a powerful and throaty exhaust note from the rear, I get a ton of clicking, buzzing and whining from under the hood. Annoying enough that I wouldn't buy again. A $65,000 vehicle should not sound like this.
    Visitor, Covina, CA, April 05, 2013 10:30
    We bought our 2002 Sequoia limited and runs great. However, in 2010 we had major issues with the vsc and trac lights and the swervy car light coming on. It came on as I was driving it and it swerved and then stalled- it seemed to be forcing the engine when I tried to at least get it off the road. After several trips and weeks without my car- the toyota dealer said it didn't find anything wrong and the computer system seemed fine. I drove it home and then it happened again. After 2 months, and 4 tries from an independant car shop, they found the main computer system needed to be replaced. I paid well over 1k after paying toyota $200 to do nothing and another $250 to replace something that may have caused the issue- but continued happening- I was out of pocket about $1500. I complained and looked for 2002 recall- and after calling toyota- they said my car was not under the recall. I've been waiting to see if they recall and reported to NHTS, but nothing yet. It's the exact same problem described in 2004-05 year models but for some reason they don't go back to earlier models. A real headache when it comes to dealing with Toyota.
    Visitor, Lafayette, LA, December 21, 2012 06:17
    Have a 2012 Sequoia Limited. Exceptional vehicle and excellent ride. Plenty of room for family on long trips, and enough torque to tow anything you have, plus big brakes to stop you in a hurry. Quality of interior has dropped slightly than my previous Toyotas, but still far superior to anything Ford or GMC has to offer. Thus the 4 stars. Air conditioning is the one thing that Toyota has never mastered. I own 4 Toyotas (2 tundras, 4-ruuner, and Sequoia) none of them cool really well in the Louisiana summer heat 100+ deg/100% humidity, but keep the vehicle cool enough that no one complains. Other than the AC, a Toyota can not be beat for the price.
    Visitor, Asheville, NC, December 13, 2012 05:47
    I just purchased a new 2012 Platinum Sequoia. The issue I am having is with engine noise. Any time I press the accelerator for more speed or power, I get an annoying buzz from the engine. I didn't have this with my 2008 Sequoia which I liked much better than this 2012 so far. Also, the steering is very stiff....hope this will loosen up with some miles on it.
  • 2006 Toyota Sequoia
    Visitor, Winter Haven, FL, May 22, 2012 13:59
    For several years I have been having my brake light come on after being stopped for a few minutes -Sequoia running) I go o stop and it sounds like a clashing of cansin the front end and stopping is diffult to do. I turn the engine off and back on and away i go waitng for the next occurance which may be weeks away or tomorrow--This has NOT happened at a speed meaning that the light comes on from the stopped mode but unless I am watching my dash instead of the road i do not know the light is on-any ideas
  • 2005 Toyota Sequoia
    Visitor, Whittier, CA, January 07, 2012 14:31
    We family of 4 purchesed out Sequoia on 2005 and we have had good trails stories to tell we are happy with this vehicle. we recently had the brakes changed and recommedations were made by the authorized technician to replace the wheel berings. I higly remcomend to do this work at a certified toyota sevice dealer. with repagards to the brakes a wish toyota had a recal on the rotors to small for the Sequoia 4.7L . My next SUV will be another Sequoia.
    verolit, Stockton, CA, August 29, 2011 10:56
    the vsc and trac lights just come on suddenly at slow to moderate speeds (5-60 mph) and the car swerves violently to the left side and then it tracks straight again. this does not happen again provided the vsc and trac lights are on. But when you turn the engine off, the computer resets itself so when you re-start it happens again. this is so scary and there is no cheap fix to this so i disconnected the vsc wire connecting to the brake reservoir and viola no more scary swerving. I wish toyota would issue a recall and fix this very scary defect.
    Visitor, Anoka, MN, August 24, 2011 17:56
    I have a 2001 Sequoia, bought in 03 with 38,000. I now as of today 8-24-11 have 229,367. I cant say a bad word about it,what i've done flushed tranny, brakes timming belt at 170,000. but now my issue; my brake booster and master cylinder need replacing i decided to go with used on both(about 300 for both) as opposed to new about 2000. does anyone know how to put them in? thanks, Hambone
  • 2004 Toyota Sequoia
    Visitor, Leawood, KS, February 05, 2011 17:09
    Love my 2004 Sequoia. However, our TRAC OFF and the VSC TRAC lights also came on just under two years ago. When I took it to the dealership at that time they also quoted the repairs around $2300 (software/hardware component I believe?). Just this week I had to get a new brake booster and ECU for the ABS installed and the water pump replaced which was $1,616. Fortunately I had purchased an extended warranty when I bought the car which I would recommend for these cars if your buying used. My warranty cost just over $2,200 and covered the almost $4,000 in repair costs for the TCS issues, booster and water pump replacement!
  • 2006 Toyota Sequoia
    Visitor, Chelmsford, MA, January 15, 2011 13:27
    2006 Sequioia. No major problems yet. But lots of little small issues that are annoyances.Also, some aspects are vehicle are not well thought out like seat warmers that are located such as can be very eaily turned on by accident
    Visitor, Santa Clarita, CA, December 07, 2010 19:38
    We bought the 2001 Sequoia before anyone else. As soon as it hit the dealership, it was ours. It has been the best vehicle we ahve ever had. We still have it at 140,000 miles. I just replaced the radiator, the only major repair we ahve had other then the brakes. You need to research teh TSB (Toyota Service Bullitens) for the brake issues. They were too small for the size of the vehicle and Toyota installed new, bigger, better rotors and calipers for the fornt. DO NOT take your Toyota Sequoia to anyone other than a dealership for brakes, we did and it turned into a nightmare. No one has the right parts (due to the TSB BR005-02) and they cannot replace them properly. Credit to Les Schwab for doing the right thing and refunding our moneyh because they could not get the brakes right. I would take any car to them, except my Sequoia. Good People (N. Cal). Again, I still have my 2001, and if you wax it and keep up th eservice, it will last forever!
    Visitor, Owings Mills, MD, November 30, 2010 14:41
    Purchased our 2008 Sequoia within a few weeks of them hitting the showroom floor. Love it in almost all ways. It tows beautifully. I installed wireless adjustable air leveling suspension (bags that inflate inside the rear coil springs), for extra stability and leveling when towing and loaded with passengers. The engine and transmission are stellar, I actually think the engine broke in and gained more power from 0 miles thru about 35K. I have 44K now and the gain has seemed to have stabilized. It is quiet, gets reasonable fuel mileage even while towing thru the mountains of western Maryland and West Virginia I get 13 mpg. Best highway mileage without towing has been a bit over 18. It will get 10.5 to 11 if you start pushing hard and ignoring those annoying speed limit signs. The vehicle seems to do everything very well. Every seat in the vehicle will comfortably accommodate large adults (even the 3rd row of seats work great for my 6'3 father in law and my 6'5" friend. I cannot say that for the ford and chevy we test drove. The engine and transmission are a very robust combination, A friend tried to keep up with me in his Dodge Durango, (4.7 V8) loaded with his 4 person family while I had 4 passengers and a 4300 lb boat in tow and he could not keep up pulling large grades in the mountains. Now the down side. My front brake rotors keep warping and I am at the point at which I am going to spend a large pile of money on upgraded pads and rotors to try to cure the problem. The rear suspension is a little soft for towing trailers with a heavy tongue weight and the interior materials could be of a bit higher quality considering the nearly 60K I forked out for the vehicle. I have not had the vehicle to the dealer for any problems excluding the brake rotor warping problems I have experienced. I am on set # 3 for rotors now.
    clagler, Saint Marys, GA, November 23, 2010 21:30
    We bought our Sequoia brand new in 03. We have never had any trouble with it until now. I understand the brake and timming belt need to be replaced. That is normal wear and tear maint. However recently tht TRAC OFF and the VSC TRAC lights have come on. I took it to the dealership yesterday and for the repairs they want $2500. They say I need a new brake booster and ECU for the ABS. I did not get it fixed because this is a reocurring theme with this year model. I have read no less than 20 reviews with this problem this morning. I am sure there are more out there. Now if this keeps happening shouldnt this be a recall.
    Visitor, Pine, AZ, November 08, 2010 18:50
    This is a great post. It's awesome to realize that car enthusiasts give importance to cars especially the Brake Pad Set.
    Visitor, Charleston, SC, November 07, 2010 14:11
    I've had a number of ELECTRICAL ISSUES in the dash including lights going out but working a day or two later, & with the most recent being power surges which have ruined two cell phone chargers and caused a rechargeable flashlight's batteries to explode and catch papers in the console on fire, luckily while I was parked. Needless to say, am not using the chargers any more. Dealership keeps telling me nothing is wrong. Disappointing & Dangerous with no good answer.
    LEWIS3K, Woodbridge, VA, September 24, 2010 13:26
    I have a toyota Sequioa with 133K . The transmission went out and it is costing me 3K to get it replaced . Toyota knew the transmission was notany good in models 2000-2006 but they reused to recalll the product . My Toyota was purchased at Lustine Toyota in Woodbridge, VA. Im sickend by this as these vechicles are not cheap . I got more mileage out of an Nissn Maxmium that has over 200K miles and still running strong. I advise some of you to not speak to quick to give high remarks for this vehicle, check the blog on the internet .and you will see tons of people had to have their tranmission go out at 90-100K miles. Good luck
    Visitor, Miami, FL, September 20, 2010 16:34
    good truck but realu needs to work the AC, takes forever to cool
    Visitor, Las Vegas, NV, September 02, 2010 11:03
    I bougt a 2002 toyota brand new but I have been having a problem with the smell of gas that comes inside when i accelerate to pass car or to go up a hill sometimes even just to reach the speed limit three times i took it to the deale and they could not find the probem
    Visitor, Fairfield, CT, August 29, 2010 16:57
    This vehicle passed to me after my dad purchased a 2009, currently has 80K miles on it and is on 2nd set of tires. Will be changing to new ones shortly. New brakes at 50k. Other than rear hatch lock breaking and a rusted undercarriage, is a great vehicle and I look forward to being able to get to 100K without issue. We did have all lights lit on the dash this past winter but I think it had to do with the extreme cold weather we had.
    Visitor, Desoto, TX, April 27, 2010 13:06
    This SUV is the superior vehicle
    Visitor, Santa Clarita, CA, April 26, 2010 20:49
    We bought our 2001 in Nov 2000, the very first year they came out. Now 125,000 miles in 10 years and all we had were a TSB for the front brakes (they were not big enough for the car, and Toyota had a TSB to replace the front rotors and calipers with larger ones - all paid for by toyota). All we've done is replace tires and batteries. We had two rear hatch latches break, but I figured how to replace these myself - an $80 part, and about 1 hour of your time (with the right tools). You can get to the latch bolts if you remove the two circle rubber gromets on the back panel, use your 1/4 extension to get to them. easy as pie. use a phillips head to open the hatch (only works about 5 times as the screwdriver bend the inners and make it unusable). I just replaced the radiator, easy to get one delivered online, DON'T get one from the dealer (About $450 rip off dollars), I got mine for $200 delivered to my door! All in all, best Vehilce I ever bought!
    Visitor, Savage, MN, April 08, 2010 13:30
    Awsome tow-Vehicle
    Visitor, Henderson, NV, March 28, 2010 14:52
    The 2002 sequoia limited we have is 100% fine! Has 178000000 miles & still runs like day one!Change oil every 2000 miles.People still stare at our big white suv.very dependable.$44 thousand well spent!
    Sarahspoon, Fortuna, CA, February 24, 2010 10:56
    Bought this car new in 2002 only problem was rear hatch latch failure x2. This car is now at 138,000 miles and having a problem with TRAC OFF and VSC TRAC light on also.
    RSCJr, Guyton, GA, February 12, 2010 08:26
    Nuisance problems: Instr panel lights out: HiBeam light, Trac button light, Gear indicator (Drive). Overhead console Mode button broken - stuck on one setting. Car has 140,000 miles. Seat belts often bind. GAS GAUGE has bee erratic since car was out of warranty. Some problem with wife's 2001 Sequoia.
  • 2007 Toyota Sequoia
    rustyfour, Norfolk, VA, January 18, 2010 21:23
    This is January 2010. I have owned my 2007 SR5 Sequoia since March 2007. This vehicle is primarily driven by my wife around town and highway...no "off rode". Noticed excessive tread wear on outside edge of tires around 30,000mi...especially on right side. The truck has low air pressure sensors for the tires, we have tires rotated every 5000mi with an oil change performed by Toyota dealer. I mentioned this to the dealer before my 35,000mi visit (which was right before warranty expiration) and was informed that the front end needed alignment. The dealer gave me an annual inspection sticker (in spite of the severe outer tread wear) but the wear continued. At 40,000mi, I inverted the tires to make them last as long as possible and to observe the wear. Now we are at 48,000 miles and both edges are worn out. The inner tread is still in great shape. Now don't misunderstand...I have no problem with replacing a set of tires around 50,000mi...I just think they should wear evenly! In addition, the water pump is leaking (have never needed to add antifreeze or water), the timing belt should be replaced and my front brakes are wore out. All this for a nominal fee of $2500. TIRES OKAY...THE REST...REDICULOUS !!! I own a 2005 GMC 2500 Savannah work van with 79,000mi that takes much more abusive driving conditions and the only repairs that have been made is a set of tires at 52,000mi which were evenly worn! In all things ... be thankful.
    Sheriflikesit, East Hampton, NY, August 25, 2009 07:06
    Today's date is 8-25-09. We bought ours in May 2001 and we still have it. As David said below, it is the work horse of our family, too. The gas mileage is surprisingly good on the highway for a truck this size (20mpg). I would highly recommend this car to my friends and family. The third row comes in handy all the time and is the most comfortable third row we've come across. The seats fold up easily and pop out altogether, too. When not in 4WD this is a rear wheel drive vehicle... but that's okay because the skid control is excellent. It is so good we often don't need 4WD. Having said that the 4WD engages well and hasn't let us down (snow, sand, off roading, etc.). Putting it into 4WD low with the center differential locked (unlocked?) is a pain so we seldom use it like that. The turning radius is that of a boat and the interior cabin is not well lit at night. I feel it is slighly underpowered (or not geared aggressively enough). I am not sure but I think the I-force engine gives it better torque when there are either more people in the car or when you're towing something. Yes, I think it senses weight load and adjusts accordingly, i.e., yields better torque. The truck presently has 90k miles on it and we're about to go through our fourth set of tires. This strikes me as high turnover but this is the only out-of-pocket problem we've had . As mentioned we put our family in the car so we take care of it aggressively and we're happy to do so. Be well.
    joeanne, Dundee, FL, May 15, 2009 11:52
    Bessie 2003, Love my sequoia, however I've had nothing but Skid Control & Brake Booster problems, in for service three (3) times, still have the problem. My warranty company will not pay anymore. maybe it the dealership not doing their repairs correctly. Other than that no problem. only have 72,000 miles on Bessie.
    Msn Pilot, Virginia Beach, VA, April 15, 2009 18:18
    We've owned our 2001 Sequoia for 5 years now and its been a superb vehicle for us, taking us across country twice. It has over 125k miles and is going strong. Our only gripes are weak brakes (all rotors have been replaced with moderate improvement), a/c that doesn't work well in around-town driving (fine on the highway), and imprecise handling. That last one may be our fault- probably needs better tires as well as an alignment. When we get our next SUV, it will likely be a newer Sequoia.
    mickmoose, Levittown, PA, April 14, 2009 11:50
    I have owned the sequoia for six months now, and love it. Cruising on the highway at 75 mph, loaded, I still get 15.5 mpg. Plenty of power with the big V-8. Navi system and bluetooth for cell phone hands free work great. I especialy like the power (up & down) third row seating.
    alfredo_2, Mascotte, FL, February 27, 2009 16:49
    good
    MKH, Belmont, MA, November 30, 2008 16:59
    I have had my 2001 Sequoia for over seven years now and have never had any trouble with it mechanically. It has been driven in heavy highway traffic, in the city, on dirt roads, through snow and flooding. My only complaint has been continuing problems with the rear hatch lock, defroster, and windshield wiper, all of which are electrical problems. It's going back in for repairs for the wiper and defroster shortly (both are absolute necessities in New England weather). I have over 100,000 miles on the car and nothing else has had any problems (I have replaced brakes, shocks, tires, etc. due to normal wear and tear).
  • 2005 Toyota Sequoia
    David Sturtz, Berkeley, CA, September 18, 2008 22:44
    Our Sequoia has been a steady workhorse for the family for 4 years. We've taken it up and down the coast a number of times and it's never let us down - the electrical outlet in the rear allows someone to work on their computer as if in a business class seat. We've towed the race car many times and it always has plenty of power and handles great. It's also very comfortable in both front and rear. The driver seat doesn't have quite as many adjustments as I'd like and the navigation system stinks by design, but aside from that, no complaints. Aside from some electrical problems associated with the aftermarket alarm system, and a crack in the windshield due to a rock, the thing's been totally reliable and solid. No wonder Toyota is taking so much market share...