Reviews for Toyota RAV4 years:

Toyota RAV4 Reviews and Owner Comments

Toyota RAV4Owner Reviews (41 reviews)
  • 1996 Toyota RAV4
    Visitor, Fresno, CA, November 17, 2014 09:12
    Over 150,000K, 4x4, 2-door. The only significant problem were two separate CEL issues. Trusted local mechanics were unable to fix either problem after multiple tries. Finally, took it to the dealer and, yes, they charged me through the nose each time, but both times it was fixed the same day. Lesson learned: there really are some things the dealer can do better (assuming they're on the up-n-up with you)!
  • 2010 Toyota RAV4
    Visitor, Plano, TX, May 06, 2014 10:06
    At 65,000, drives as well as new. No major problems. A few flats and problems with tire valves. One set of front brakes. Have been keeping it out of gear whenever possible (red lights, long coasts). Some plastic parts under/around seats breaking off. 2010 Rav4 V6 base, white, bought new, 0%.
    Visitor, Clinton, IA, April 29, 2014 01:15
    very good
  • 2004 Toyota RAV4
    Visitor, Albany, NY, March 09, 2014 18:36
    100466 miles the head bolt THREADS pulled out of the engine block, causing head gasket failure & loss of coolant. Dealership says $8000 for new engine is the most reasonable way to fix this! Online search shows it is a chronic problem on the 4 cylinder engines for Toyota.
  • 2012 Toyota RAV4
    Visitor, Escondido, CA, October 18, 2013 19:58
    I have my Toyota RAV4 2012 my daughter drive from school and on her way home she said that the "required maintenance"turn on and arrived home and park in our driveway.After 4hrs.she wants to use it again and cannot start the engine but it crank good.so,what could be the problem.
    vernal, Marathon, FL, January 28, 2013 14:08
    i have a rav4 2000 when going hill and reach on the flat it start to smoke
    rmnoriega757, Chesapeake, VA, January 06, 2013 20:03
    I just installed an HID 35 watt xenon 6000k white kit. I had to fiddle with the 3 prong it came with because it was not set up the right schematic. Once I figured that out and the HIDs worked, my fog light seem to stop working. Here's the kicker, once I plugged my stock bulb again. Fog lights worked, not when the HIDs are plugged in. Is it because I still have the wrong schematic set-up? Or is it because the fog lights are not getting power?
    Visitor, Chesapeake, VA, January 06, 2013 19:55
    So you mentioned that you're tail lights turns on but no when breaking. I think it is because you have the wrong bulb in the tail like section. The tail light is a parking light (tail light) and brake light combination. The bulb I got is covered blue bulb color with a pair of wires in there one for tail (when parking light is switched on) and for when brake is applied. Did it help? Or you figured it out already.
    Visitor, Clinton, IA, December 29, 2012 22:05
    i have an year 2000 rav 4. this can oftenly feels cold and would even stop on the road when it becomes very cold. it will lower the temperature gauge and start to sound like not firing when the temps are down. when the weather is good you start the car and wait for the temp gauge to raise then the car is good and drives ok. what could be the problem. many mech shops seems not to understand this problem. what could this be.
    Visitor, Poynette, WI, December 21, 2012 07:44
    2007 Toyota RAV4 Sport v6 - purchased new. Now 75k and this week the fuel pump went out. Cost $850 to fix.
    Visitor, Asbury Park, NJ, November 27, 2012 10:20
    I have a 2011 Rav4 i brought in May 2011. After one month of driving the tire pressure light came on i put air in it. It kept on happening. The dealer check and found no air leaks. That did not stop the problem. The front tire goes flat frequently.
    Visitor, Winston Salem, NC, November 22, 2012 04:49
    Love this car, of course props to the best shop ever, Old Town Foreign Car. 240K+, thanks for keeping it going, and keeping me from worry and overspending!
    Visitor, Vancouver, WA, July 11, 2012 20:01
    I have a 2007 RAV4 sport. So far the drive train had to be replaced and the water pump and the hoses were leaking. Now six months later the airconditioning has gone out and will cost another $2,000 to replace it.
    Visitor, Anaheim, CA, June 18, 2012 22:03
    I had the same exact problem and i ended up paying for the whole repair which was $700. I'm so unhappy with Toyota. Now, at 86,000 miles, my engine mounts wore off and they misdiagnosed my car and made me pay for replacing the throttle which was $1100! They replaced my mounts and it fixed the idle problem but then now something is rattling in my car! They told me its normal wear and tear. And because of the new mounts, the engine shifts at different gears and causes old plastic from the car to rattle. So, in other words, they won't fix it.
  • 2003 Toyota RAV4
    Visitor, Jupiter, FL, June 04, 2012 17:02
    260,000 miles and i have only done routine maintinance
    Visitor, Quitman, GA, March 08, 2012 14:25
    i have a 1998 toyota rav 4. If i could marry this car i would . it is the all time best vehicle ever. im just now having to replace my clutch but no major problems. had it for 8 years . right now im at 340,000miles. wooooo! get sum, love my car.
  • 1997 Toyota RAV4
    Visitor, Campbell, CA, November 18, 2011 02:04
    at 94,000 miles my '97 Rav 4L is blowing fuses when I try to replace the fuse for the tail lights and dashboard light. Does anyone else have this ploblem? Any suggestions as to where in Oakland to get this electrical prob/ fixed inexpensively?
    Visitor, Cleveland, OH, November 09, 2011 18:28
    2006 rav4 for past 2 years I been hearing a clunking noise from my steering wheel. The past 2 years toyota dealers kept saying they couldnt hear it or its not a big safety issue. I just found out few months ago that Toyota knows about the problem but will not do a recall because not enough people have complain and its not a safety issue. With all the bad publicity they have already you would think they just want to fix this issue. The problem is the intermediate shaft, to have it fix will cost anywhere betwee 400-1k. Toyota will not offer any type of assistance to fix this either. If you google this problem you will see several people complain about this issue. Some people have had luck with toyota doing a 50/50 split on the cost to fix or some even had toyota pay for the whole job. My luck so far is that Toyota will not help. People make sure everytime you take your car in you have them note in your account what is wrong iwth your vehicle. My dealer never once noted my issues. I trusted these people since my family been doing business with them for 20years. has anyone else had this issue with a 2006 rav 4
    Visitor, Redstar, WV, September 16, 2011 07:40
    I HAD A 2009 4X4 TACOMA V6 THE AUTO TRANS DOES NOT HAVE A DIP STICK TO CHECK THE TRANS FLUID . THE SERVICE DEPT SAID I WILL HAVE TO BRING IT TO THEM AND THEY WOULD CHECK IT FOR $100.00 LABOR COST AND $10.00 A QT FOR ANY TRANS FLUID THEY ADD. I WOULD NOT HAVE BOUGHT THE TRUCK IF I KNEW THAT WAS THE WAY IT WAS.I DID CALL NISSAN AND THEY SAID ALL THERE TRUCK HAD TRANS DIP STICKS.
    Visitor, Williamsburg, MA, July 27, 2011 16:26
    I have had my 1998 Rav4 for 11 years...it now has almost 193,000 miles on it. It has a leak in the rack and pinion steering that I am getting fixed. I change the oil every 3K miles....very few problems. This has been the best mv I have ever owned.
    Visitor, Duxbury, MA, July 21, 2011 12:29
    Terrific Vehicle, no major problems, kept up on routine maintenance so far no problems at 92.5K miles!
    Visitor, Tooele, UT, June 28, 2011 19:37
    I have had my 1998 Rav for 13 years and have never had a problem, until now at 140,000 miles, I need to have new brake pads put in. Air conditioning works better than my new Ford Edge.
    palsurf, Moreno Valley, CA, February 22, 2011 08:25
    New car to me had a Pontiac Vibe this seems to be a bigger version. Wish it had hard plastic back seat backs and floor like the vibe did so hauling my surfboards did not damage carpet. Wish the front passenger seat folded forward flat like the vibe and matrix. Like to have instrument color in differant color then yellow maybe blue that is easier on the eyes at night.
    Visitor, Sacramento, CA, December 27, 2010 11:55
    Bought new a 2001 Rav4, as I head into my 10th year of owership I have 199,000 miles! I just this month had to replace the original clutch...wow! I have had no major repair issues with my Rav, in the first few years there was a problem with the check engine light that kept coming on, but there was a recall I think that reset the sensor or something and that has no longer been an issue. I just drove my 85 year mom for a 2 hour drive for christmas...she remarked how comfortable the seating was...so go figure, I keep looking at the pretty new cars, but my Reliable Rav4 is just not going to let me move on to anything new...
    Visitor, Fort Wayne, IN, December 27, 2010 11:01
    Purchased new 4cyl power really lacking. Would recommend 6cyl vs 4cyl. Comfort & ride very good. Mileage in 25mpg range. Cruise control takes some getting use. Like rear door swing open feature. At 30000 miles very happy with RAV4....
  • 2008 Toyota RAV4
    Marishka, Brooklyn, NY, November 14, 2010 20:33
    Love this car, have it since 04/2008. Milage is 23,700.
    George Moore, Pensacola, FL, October 21, 2010 12:31
    I was recently told my 2006 Toyota rav4 ABS brake pump should be replaced at the cost of $2100.00 just for the part plus labor of about the same cost. The pump has been leaking fluid. I wonder, had there been a recall on this model pump? LTD 2WD. ? George Moore
    Visitor, Danvers, MA, August 30, 2010 06:39
    I purchased the car new in 2002, has been good to me for the most part. I delt with a transmission issue aroun 80,000-85,000 miles, it is a computer issue with the auto transmission. I am now about 120,000-125,000 miles and have just discovered an issue with my break lights. My tail lights and directionals turn on fine with the lights, but when breaking, my lights do not work. It does not seem to be a bulb issue and I have fiddled with the fuses and still, no solution found. Any suggestions would be helpful... I am worried it could be a wiring problem.
  • 2004 Toyota RAV4
    Visitor, South Lake Tahoe, CA, August 02, 2010 22:32
    great mileage on highway. great run around town. very uncomfortable seats...hard. also road noise is loud.
  • 2005 Toyota RAV4
    rav4mail, Jonesborough, TN, May 03, 2010 18:49
    Got my 3rd rav4 with11,000 miles and 4 months old. Limited model. I've used this rav4 everyday as my personal car and also daily on a mail route thats 41 miles long. It now has 168,000+ miles. All parts get abused as a mail rt is very HARD on all parts of my rav4. Its been a great car. I go thur a set of tires ea yr and 3 sets of brakes. I'm glad their easy to change. Headlights, water pump, Rack & Pin and the alternator is all I'll replaced. I recmd' the RAV4 as a very dependable car. The 2.4L has been working great.
  • 2010 Toyota RAV4
    Visitor, Commack, NY, April 05, 2010 18:52
    Love this mini suv. I traded my 2006 honda Crv SE. No V6, CRV was underpower, the engine whinned when you floor it, leakin tranny fluid. Lots of power under the hood. exhaust sounds like a v8. But doesnot come with a spare tire if you buy the sport edition V6.
    FastNet, West Dennis, MA, November 01, 2009 09:12
    Love this car! Brakes are the only thing I have spent $$ on, outside of routine maintenance. AC has been balky a few times, needing repairs. Good mileage.
    DaniD, Waukesha, WI, September 24, 2009 18:23
    I am no longer in love with my 2002 RAV4. Today I found out that I need a new engine after taking my car in for what I thought was a radiator problem. So far I'm learning in my research that the 2002 model year is the WORST! BUYER BEWARE
  • 1996 Toyota RAV4
    johnnyg, Orlando, FL, August 15, 2009 17:56
    This car is quickly becoming a lemon. The AC compressor failed a couple of years ago. It didn't make a big difference until we moved to FLA, USA. Constant problems with the window motor on the driver side. It costs $300.00 for the part. Otherwise, the mileage is averaging 20 mph with an even mix of highway and city. Thankfully it is a 2nd car, and I don't have to drive it that much. It is a good utility car though.
  • 1999 Toyota RAV4
    crafty4, Las Vegas, NV, August 05, 2009 03:10
    I love my car. I will hate it if I had to give it up since I am always transporting something around. It is easy to get in and out. Since I have low mileage on it and have kept up the maintenance, I have had minimal problems with it. Of course being a SUV repairs are more expensive than a smaller car. A complaint that I do have is the lack of pickup with a 4 cyclinder, the lack of roominess of the backseat and vision blocking caused by the backseat headrest on the passenger side when I backup. Otherwise, I still enjoy my car.
  • 2008 Toyota RAV4
    toyman, Springfield, MO, April 14, 2009 15:33
    I am really happy that I bought my 2008 Rav4 v6 4WD. In May, I will have had it for one year. I always wanted a 4WD Toyota pickup. When they first came out in the 70's, I was ranching and drove 2WD Chevy pickups. If the Rav4 is as good as the 1973 Celica I bought new, it will be terrific! Great handling and get up and go in the Ozark Mts. The mileage ranges from 17 mpg to 24 mpg. The 17 mpg obviously occurs when I floor it alot. Great outside vision. Quiet in town. When have passengers in the backseats it is sometime difficult for them to carry on a conversation without my wife and I raising our voices. Otherwise it is as quiet as my wife's Avalon.
    markay, Greenville, SC, March 18, 2009 12:45
    i love my car!! it's always dependable. it's easy to get in and out of. it sits up just enough higher so you can see well all around you. all i've ever done to it is the normal things. i love it!!!
  • 1999 Toyota RAV4
    Lukefan, Gardena, CA, February 15, 2009 11:24
    I've been really happy with this vehicle. No major problems. The vehicle is a bit underpowered but they took care of that in later versions. I really wish the headlamps had a longer range though. Any suggestions?
  • 2003 Toyota RAV4
    fernando, Alameda, CA, November 09, 2008 20:41
    I bought my Toyota RAV4 back in 2003. This has been an efficient commuter vehicle as well as a comfortable ride for long trips to South California. With its regular maintenance; oil and air filter changes, brakes and battery, no major repairs after more than 100,000 miles. One detail is that both front door motors actuators broke down one after the other.
    christiner, Phoenix, OR, October 22, 2008 10:47
    Love the driving position, the easy out rear seats and the side opening rear door. Less thrilled that it needed a new transmission at 84,000 miles.
    buckoff1, Hercules, CA, October 16, 2008 13:37