Reviews for Toyota Matrix years:

Toyota Matrix Reviews and Owner Comments

Toyota MatrixOwner Reviews (20 reviews)
    Visitor, Ripon, CA, June 28, 2014 01:13
    I bought my Matrix new in Jan. 2005. I have well over 200,000 miles on it and I've actually had very little trouble with it. On the downside, it seems like I have to have my brakes repaired a little more often then other cars that I've had, the air conditioning in my opinion is very poor, it doesn't keep it cool much at all in the front seat with the vents pointing right at me, I doubt it gets the back seat very cool. The gas mileage is decent, I don't notice having to put anymore tires on it that any other car I've had. The seats are comfortable and there is quite a bit of room in it. It's no cadilac, but I didn't expect it to be. It's been very reliable for me. I put a lot of miles on it in nine and a half years,and it's still going strong.
  • 2009 Toyota Matrix
    Visitor, Ewing, NJ, January 26, 2014 12:06
    My heater control gear box went in my car. The dealer is saying it will cost $3000.00 to fix. I have only had the car for a year. Toyota is not living up to standards or their mission statements. I'm very disappointed in this purchase. I have a standard warranty however; this particular problem is not covered! I will be writing to the corporate office on this issue, its not fair that I have to pay for this default in the car, VERY DISAPPOINTED!!
  • 2010 Toyota Matrix
    Visitor, Tioga, ND, July 28, 2013 06:25
    Oil Cap plastic cover has been frozen on , mechanic broke his remover tool trying to get it off, can't change the filter , only oil! Now to go through the cost of getting it taken off some how with out breaking any thing! This is a bad design by Toyota , should not be made of plastic!Seems to a common problem , should be a recall before we have to by engines for clogged filters!
  • 2007 Toyota Matrix
    Visitor, Bardstown, KY, January 24, 2013 07:15
    my matrix was given to me by my father, he bought it new and used it for his job. It just flipped 306,000 miles and runs like new. All the miles he put on it were all highway miles and he regularly changed oil, literally changing it bi-weekly. I absolutely love this car and drive it everywhere and plan to put another 300,000 on it. Only thing i dont like is that the odometer stopped at 299,999 miles and i have to go off the tripometer to record the cars mileage, not really a big deal just annoying. Another thing i like is that even though its a compact car, 5 adults fit very easily and comfortable in it. I'd definately by another one
    Visitor, Alexandria, VA, October 04, 2011 12:25
    We bought our 05 Matrix XR halfway through 2004. Wasn't my first choice of car, but couldnt trust VW reliability at the time. Car is very roomy for its size, and is peppier than the corolla sedan. Ride is rough, was stiff when new, just beats now. Gas has been ok, nothing really impressive, tank too small for long trips. My biggest gripe is the emissions, sensors. We have replaced tires too often on the front, a new alternator at 90,000. cat converter, ox sensors, on its 3rd MAF sensor, and is getting read for new belts, and pulleys. Have 125,000 now, but have beware, this car has been drove decent, oil changed regularly, hasn't left me yet, but has not been cheap to maintain. Certainly not the indestructable Toyota that people say. I would say its not much better than many other cars I have owned from Olds, Nissan,Chevy, VW. I still hang on to it though, its a good commuter car.
    Visitor, Schenectady, NY, September 08, 2011 13:26
    8 years and 120,000 km and just had first non-routine repair - front break caliper seized. Mileage is excellent. Haul four big guys and golf clubs with ease. As it passed 100k km engine seemed less peppy than when new. Great car. Hope to see 200+k km.
  • 2007 Toyota Matrix
    Visitor, Fort Atkinson, WI, December 01, 2010 14:58
    We've had our Matrix for 4 years, put on 33,500 miles and get 36mpg highway with 5sp manual. Hauls as much stuff as Saturn VUE or similar SUV on smaller platform which is why we chose the Matrix. We didn't want all the options (seems Toyota only offered all the options or none) so we went with the basic model. We have not had any service issues but the CD player recently started skipping. Our dealer offered little help and suggested we look for an aftermarket player. The Matrix handles well in snow and rain but offers bumpy ride on uneven roads. It does all we ask it to do so overall we are satisfied.
    Visitor, Portland, OR, September 10, 2010 22:14
    Original owner, 98k miles. The 5-speed transmission recently required a rebuild. The bearings split and came apart causing 1st and 2nd gear to cease. Regular maintenance and no harsh driving or racing. Most of the miles are commuter miles. The A/C is weak. No mechanical problems otherwise. Repair cost on the transmission was $1250 but included a new clutch (which was used at approx 75%)
    Visitor, Blythewood, SC, May 28, 2010 16:46
    2004 MATRIX-XR BOUGHT BRAND NEW 85,800 MILES NEED A CADALLIC CONVERTER !!!WARRANTY IS 5YRS OR 85,000 MILES!!!REPAIR COST FOR TOYOTA TO FIX 1,550 AND THE CAR JUST GOT PAID OFF!!!!WTH!!!BUT I DO LOVE MY CAR THE ONLY PROBLEM SINCE I BOUGHT IT ALWAYS SERVICED ON TIME!!GOTTA FIX IT SOME KIND OF WAY!!
    Visitor, Mesquite, TX, May 26, 2010 13:30
    I have 126,000 on mine, the only repair other than the ordinary brakes/hoses/oil/tires, was a $286 repair to the AC for an electrical switch that went out. Car is still getting 30/24 MPG and not burning oil a bit. Outstanding vehicle.
    Visitor, Toms River, NJ, May 14, 2010 10:07
    I have over 160,000 miles with no major problems. With the seat down in the back, I've amazed sales people, friends, family, etc., with how much I can haul. The front seats are comfortable with good lumbar support. It's a great family car! My daughter calls it "zippy" even now.
  • 2006 Toyota Matrix
    kaibil, Miami, FL, May 12, 2010 13:49
    Es una nave esta camioneta, se las recomiendo
    steboz, Holly Springs, NC, May 01, 2010 09:41
    2005 Matrix ECM (computer) broke at 80K. It destroyed the transmission and blew one of the engine exhaust valves.Toy. corp. said "to bad your out of warranty". The costumer reps are kids in their 20s with no communication skills. Ride is bumpy, uncomfortable on long trips over 2 hours. Instrument panel takes 30 seconds to come on. Not good at night. Front tires wear very fast and uneven regardless of rotations. Nothing like my old Corolla that was made in Japan and gave me 12 years of service. Still ran good when I sold it. My Buick century also outlasted the Matrix.
    Chubdog, Bossier City, LA, September 18, 2009 09:07
    Love the car, but had one problem that has me very concerned. My alarn system locked up the ignition system and I couldn't get it started. Had to have it towed and the dealer wouldn't cover it under the warranty. So, it ended up costing 200 dollars including the towing. Furthermore, the dealer couldn't give me a definitive answer that explains what happened. They just said a wire had come loose under the dashboard, which sounds like bull to me. So, if you have that problem we should ban together to see if it is a defect in the car. Other than that, had an enjoyable and problem-free 50,000 miles with the car. Love traveling with the car. Can pack everything that I need in the car. I think of it as my cool middle-aged station wagon.
    Fred615, Marlborough, MA, August 03, 2009 08:55
    This car has been a huge disappointment in MPG.. Advertised as 31 Hwy and 28 City (?) and the best we have done in almost 6 years is 28 on the Hwy (steady 70 mph) and about 22 around town. Wears out front tires way too fast (14K miles!), or maybe it was the Continentals that it came with. Other brands seem to do a better (about 20K miles which still isn't good). We also had a Mercedes E320 V6 up until last year that had almost twice the HP, torque, and weight and gave better mileage than the Matrix, 24 around town and 30-32 on the Hwy... Both numbers OVER the estimate for that car. And it was a LOT more comfortable.. Also more expensive and not as reliable, so it had to go. The Matirx AC system has needed an almost annual refill of refrigerant which has gotten really expensive. Mechanic can't find a leak, probably because it's too small. As someone else noted, the rear brake light is near impossible to replace and I've found that the rear wiper is a real hassle too; one mechanic who tried mangled the new blade getting it installed.
    Emily Norman, San Diego, CA, July 07, 2009 20:32
    Have had to replace 4 hub caps and notice other Matrix without hub caps too. Awesome for loading! This car can carry anything. havent had to do any major maintenance until 100,000 miles and its minimal too like driving belt and hoses and brakes. I completely recommend this car.
    Dannytech, Fullerton, CA, March 26, 2009 17:15
    Air conditioning went out at 80K. Screwy panel illumination when turning on heater, takes about three minutes for lamps to illuminate panel completely. Changing top center rear brake lamp is almost undo-able, almost forcing one to take to dealer to replace lamp in order not to break plastic bezel. Same can be said the cabin overhead lamp. Car emits rich gassy fumes upon start up. Car is suppose to get 29MPG, it's closer to 24. Not very good MPG for a small car for city driving. Pros: Very flexible in payload to carry items like Xmas trees, bikes, rugs, and water heaters.
  • 2006 Toyota Matrix
    lellis, Bayamon, PR, January 22, 2009 16:31
    gray, trd system, suspension, 10000 milles, my baby
    Belkysja, Dover, NJ, November 29, 2008 20:03
    I love this car
    nackerson, Alexandria, VA, November 10, 2008 05:30
    Good gas mileage for a crossover vehicle.