Toyota Echo Reviews

Toyota Echo Reviews and Owner Comments

I bought my Echo with 172,000 miles on it. Shortly after purchase , I had shift cable freeze up. Not Toyota' s issue. It was pinched in an exhaust connection, by a dumb mechanic. Replaced leaky water pump & a weak alternator, shortly after purchase. Other than that, it's been oil & filter changes, & air filter & spark plug. All brake pads & shoes replaced along with tires. Now at 225,000, I am replacing the power steering high pressure line, Due to wear from a rough Wisconsin winter. Very reliable car. Tough, too! 6 minor accidents & very little damage to show for it.
i have toyota echo 2001 model.i got some problems the problems are following below sometimes it's not start battery power is ok i had given many mechanic to solve the problems i don't know how to make it ok
I have a 2002 Toyota Echo with approximately 210,000 miles on it. For the past 5 years, I have taken it in for its semi annual service (3,500 to 4,000) miles to the dealership. It is not cheap, but they do a good job with it and considering the time saved and customer service, I have had no problems with them. If so, I bring it to their attenton and they fix it. Right now my check engine light has come on. This is the second time this has happened. The first time I had to replace the catalytic convertor. Hopefully, this won't be as costly. Other than that, the body has held up well, considering the bumps and bruises it has gotten and I have only had 1 major accident in it. My next car will be a Toyota.
Bought my first Echo, a used 2000, in 2009 with 202,000 on it and drove it to spring of 2011 when the 5 speed transmission locked up on it (232,000). It got consistently 43 mpg. Purchased my second, a 2002, in May 2011 with 125,000 on it. Runs just like the first but I get better mileage now, 44 - 48 mpg. Got 50 once on a 500 mile round trip from Cincinnati to Youngstown OH. Whole trip 70 mph with the AC on. If I drove this one slower 55 to 60 mph I'm pretty sure I could break the 50 mpg barrier. Oh, the first one I sold to my mechanic who dropped a rebuilt transmission in it and now it's back on the road for more. Great little car but lots of room for a 6'4" driver and one passenger, really don't use the complementary back seat. If you find one of these used buy it.
My baby Lexus as I call my Echo was given as a gift to me by a customer of mine, I own a Body Repair and Paint Car Shop, spent less than $200 bucks to bring it back to life, a whole new paint job, looks and runs as good as any full size brand new car. Will not trade or sell it by no means. Great lil big car.
I love my little Echo. But, at 72,000 miles I noticed an oil leak. (I say I "noticed" it at 72,000 miles, but it actually could have started earlier.) Mechanic said it's the rear main seal. The car was nine years old at the time of the diagnosis, but still, I've taken care of it, and 72,000 miles seems like an unusual interval for the rear main seal to go bad. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem with her/his Echo early on. Otherwise, car has been good to me, and if Toyota still made them I'd probably buy another.
311,000 miles and still going. Same engine, transmission, clutch, pressure plate, alternator, water pump, rotors, radiator, air conditioner compressor, starter. It will be a lot shorter if I just write what I have replaced: One headlight bulb, One O2 sensor, tires, brakes, windshield, oil, plugs, belts, filters, wipers, battery. If it weren't for the deer that ran into ME, the body would still be straight.
I bought the Toyota Echo a while back before gas prices went through the roof. My friends all taunted me about my decision to buy the Echo. Well, as I a poor college kid with poor college kid friends; I have had the last laugh!!! This car is amazing on gas and has not broken down on me!! I average about 50-60mi a day here, and yet my car cranks on without problem. The only trouble is the AC unit goes out, but minor compared to cheap gas and reliability.
I have 190,000 miles on my 2003 Echo without any major problems. I still get 31 MPG overall, she has been a great car and has held up extremely well. Total spent on maintenance in the last 8 years has been (rounded) $2300.00 Yes, like those below I love my Echo!
My sister gave me her ECHO as a birthday present in 2004. I remember when she bought it, I used to make fun of it, calling it a girls car. Now, However, I wouldn't part with it if you payed me. I have driven this car cross country 5 times, and simply driven it through hell as a pizza delivery driver in the city, and she still refuses to give me even the slightest sign of trouble. It has driven on I-80 through the worst blizzard Iowa has seen in years, counting 80 cars and trucks that had slid off the road between Davenport and Des Moines. It amazes me every time how much stuff will actually fit inside it. SUVs and Trucks are for pansies. Give me a Toyota ECHO any day.
My concern is about the spark plug....should i replace and how often? I have echo 2005
I've put my 2000 Echo through hell for the last ten years, & 195,000 miles. No parts have failed, until yesterday (the starter). Still have the original engine, transmission, alternator, a/c compressor, exhaust, etc. All summer, every summer, since year 2000, I used my Echo to tow a heavy landscaping trailer with heavy landscaping equipment every day of every summer... and still she keeps going. The owners manual says "do not tow with this vehicle", yet the car (with anti-lock brakes) tows just about anything... anywhere. Amazing car!!! I love it!
Great little car. It"s like the Energizer Bunny.. It just keeps going and going.... Great gas Mileage ......great internal design....Put the back seats down and haul lumber with trunk open...The guys in pick-up trucks are amazed ! My Lil" Echo Rocks !
Most reliable car I ever owned. Ethanol corrupted gas gives me 38 mpg. Non ethanol gas gives me 45 mpg. Five speed stick, no frills. Changed radio to one with CD player. We tow the car periodically. Use Mobile One, Body is functional, gives good headroom. Brakes are adequate. Drive chain is staright forward, no problems. Emissions are - not tested in FL. Heat and ac are great. Steering is manual, so the wheel turns ate 5-1/2 lock to lock.
This is the most reliable car I have ever owned. Over 160,000 miles and only pads, oil have been changed. The a/c just went out, but oh well.
I purchased my 01 Echo used in May of 2005 from a dealer. It had 70K miles on it and has worked very well for four years. I have put 120K more miles on it. The 5 speed manual transmission just went out. I am currently shopping for a used transmission as that is the only replacement option.
I purchased my Echo new in 2000, and have been extremely happy with it. I am over 6 feet tall, and am impressed by the head room and leg room in this little car. The gas mileage is great and it is an excellent "city car". My only slight concern is that it squeeks and groans a bit when passengers get out of the vehicle.
I've had my Echo since 2000 when I bought it new. I would marry this car if it were legal. 'Nuff said. :-)
very good car. mileage.a good car
I purchased my Echo brand new in 2000, without even driving it first. It has been the most awesome car ever, never letting me down or disappointing me in any way. I took it from Colorado to the Netherlands to Ireland, driving it in Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, England, Scotland, Wales, Luxembourg, and Ireland, and not once have I ever had a problem with it, despite the fact that I've been a terrible owner and have only really changed the oil five or six times. It's now got nearly 80,000 miles on it and let me tell you, it takes a beating and never once complains. When we moved to Ireland in June of this year we packed it to the gills, filling every available square inch of space that someone wasn't sitting in. The back end sunk so low we couldn't go over a speed bump slowly without bottoming out - and still, it got about 45 MPG and handled beautifully. It starts every time, without exception, and has never had any rattles or burps. It responds immediately to every maneuver, always willing to please. The dashboard is beautifully situated off to the side and facing me so it doesn't get in the way while I'm driving. There are enough pockets in the front compartment to store a plethora of items - whoever designed the Echo was a genius! I will drive mine until it falls to pieces. I love it so much and am so loyal (and grateful) to it that, rather than sell it, I have paid a small fortune to ship it to Europe, then Ireland, and am now getting ready to pay some more to ship it back to the US. I simply will not part with it. If you want a car that will *always* get you where you're going and never complain, the Echo is it. It has an amazing amount of trunk space - seriously, you wouldn't believe it. It doesn't look like it because the outside portion of the trunk looks short, but believe me, it holds three or four HUGE suitcases plus all sorts of miscellany. It's so well designed, and a pleasure to drive, and the gas mileage is incredible. I know it's rated in the low 40's but I consistently get 48-52 MPG (highway) despite its age and abysmal maintenance record. Before I bought my little red Echo I owned a Toyota Previa, and before that I had a Toyota Celica. All of them were amazingly designed and totally reliable cars, no matter what you do to them or how many miles they have on the clock. Wondering whether to buy an Echo? Do it! You'll never, ever regret it.