Reviews for Toyota Corolla years:

Toyota Corolla Reviews and Owner Comments

Toyota CorollaOwner Reviews (161 reviews)
    Visitor, Fishers, IN, September 12, 2014 13:00
    I have a 2004 Corolla LE with 237,000 miles on it. there has only been one issue, the AC stopped, the fan still worked. I looked online and found some info about a relay that would occasionally fail, I went and got one a local parts store and replaced it. 2 hours and $13 later it was all better! This car has been a real trooper and I have no idea what I would replace it with, whenever that times comes. It could be a while, I have a friend with an older Corolla with 350,000 on it. I change the oil every 3000 miles and keep up with all the recommended maintenance items.
    Visitor, Red Bluff, CA, September 02, 2014 19:12
    I'm a retired truck driver and a old mechanic I own a 1996 Toyota corolla DX now for 18 years and I'm shocked at how great the car has been over 327 K or thousand miles on it now as you see I will keep and drive it until the last days on the planet as I love the car.I got my wife a nen one 6 years ago and she loves it to.
    Visitor, Morgan Hill, CA, August 30, 2014 19:48
    Excellent, reliable car. 190,000 miles, 12 years old and all original. Never tuned-up. Great car!
    Visitor, Fort Worth, TX, June 28, 2014 16:19
    I bought this car new in Dec. 2001. It has been totally reliable. Changed the oil as needed and followed the service manual until the warranty expired. Still change the oil as indicated. Have only had to do the usual services such as new battery, tires, a couple of light bulbs, and brake pads. I think there might have been a couple of minor warranty issues but all good. Has almost 120,000. Been a great car. Still looks great.
    Visitor, Sonoma, CA, June 23, 2014 07:24
    I bought this car new in 2007. I love this little car. It has been brilliant. Ultra reliable. I have just under 100k on the odometer and have only had a problem with the water pump. So, I spent 15k on a car, drove it for 6-7 years, and replaced a water pump for about $450. I call that a good deal. I hate the Toyota dealerships though.
    Visitor, Phoenix, AZ, January 25, 2014 14:38
    My 1990 toyota corolla , check engine light is on not sure what to check. I checked all fluids there fine. I want repair this problem myself just not sure where to start. Low on cash any solution would help thank you... Sarah phx,az
    Visitor, Atlanta, GA, October 19, 2013 14:40
    My 2009 Corolla won't pass the Emissions test. The "check engine light is not on however the computer has not reset for a "readiness" mode for the catalyst and oxygen sensor. I have driven the car over 300 miles since the first failed test, 8 days ago. Toyota Service advised me in accordance with their internal 2002 readiness monitor drive patterns catalyst monitors: that it's not the "mileage," but the various speeds that resets the computer. I need to let the car idle to 176 degrees F, then drive 40-50 mph 3 to 7 minutes, then 35-45 mph for 7 minutes.) I am to do this with a smooth throttle operation, avoid sudden acceleration & sudden deceleration. If the readiness status does not switch to complete, repeat the above steps. The car drives well otherwise as I keep it maintained. Any comments or suggestions out there?
    Visitor, Lithonia, GA, October 07, 2013 17:58
    I bought my 2002 corolla brand new 9/01. After 83,000 miles my check engine light has came on every year or it may skip a year and come on the next year. I have bought 3 catalytic convertor 3 02 sensor. My check engine light just came back ( a month before my birthday) I don't know what the problem is at the moment. I replaced the door handles interior and exterior, also the door window motor went out. I can't lock the doors because the original key doesn't really work on the doors. Sometimes takes me about 30-45min to get the doors unlocked so I just don't lock them. I can say it get me from A to B, but will not buy another one if I can help it.
    Visitor, Omaha, NE, September 17, 2013 18:46
    Bought a 2003 CE Corolla with 50K on the clock in 2005; it has 222K on it now. Diagnosing why it's using a bit more oil than normal, but 6 sets of tires, 2 front brake jobs, and 1 (yes, changed at 199K) rear brake job (total rebuild), plus 3 rear hubs, radiator, and both control link arms, she still gets me 38-42 MPG on interstate trips at an average of 80 MPH (3K RPM) and 32-36 in the city when hot out, and 23-28 in winter. Bought another car, but kept the Toyota for the long haul trips due to the better gas mileage. I think I've had 2 plug changes and one transmission flush over the last 172,000 miles. I would buy another one if my "new to me" 2009 Volvo doesn't do what I expect out of it, which is a lot of miles on the clock before it is retired with little maintenance, like the Toyota.
    Visitor, Newcastle, CA, September 08, 2013 20:35
    I bought my 94 Corolla new and by far is the best car I have ever owned. I have 210K miles and only replaced motor mounts, cvc joint and timing belt. The dome light has been replaced many times, not sure why that is. The air conditioner still works great. I do take excellent care of the car. It's always been garaged so the paint and upholstery is in like new condition except for some rock chips.
    Visitor, Ashland, OR, September 05, 2013 09:59
    Purchased with
    Visitor, Thiells, NY, June 07, 2013 07:29
    engin light on transmission lock out code 153,000 Mi whay is this?
    Visitor, Corona, CA, April 25, 2013 13:29
    I bought my 1994 Toyota Corolla with 16 miles on it. It is the best little car I have ever owned! The paint faded but originally it was silver (What can I expect for a car I only paid 17,000.00). It is a manual transmission so I can get it to go even though the automatics in this time frame don't have the get-up-and-go power. It has 284,000 miles and has had no major repairs. Only the regular maintenance. Went to a Toyota dealership recently to look at what is available right now and the salesman was very interested in having me trade in my car. Said that during the timeframe of my car, Toyota realized that they were making them too well! I love my car eventhough it doesn't have all the bells and whistles!
    Visitor, Youngstown, NY, April 23, 2013 11:20
    why is my suspension totaled
    Visitor, Toms River, NJ, March 20, 2013 21:39
    I have a 2007 Corolla with 35,000 miles. I am now told I need the struts replaced! I already had the breaks replaced. How could this car with so few miles have strut problems? I was quoted a price of $750.00 to have them fixed. Also, my light goes on "maintenance required."I just had oil change...
    Visitor, Tampa, FL, March 12, 2013 11:24
    I have a 2001 toyota corolla bought it new.I have taken very good care of this car and lately the paint has been peeling in spots and fading I have kept wax on this car all these years so this should not of happened.I do believe there is something wrong with this paint.As I am driving around I have seen other cars like mine with the same problem.These people need to complain and maybe Toyota would do something about this.This is the first Toyota That I have had problems with the paint.I have owned 4 Toyotas and the paint always stayed new looking.So if you are having this problem please make toyota aware of it....
    Visitor, Katy, TX, March 04, 2013 06:36
    I bought one brand new and now it has 156,000 miles. The interior is a basic quality of an economic car and is falling apart. The brakes are designed to stop the car but won't impress you. The transmission is amazingly realible. 11 years and the only lights i've replaced are the rear tail lamp side markers. The only problem with the engine is the seals will eventually fall apart (like every car) but other than that it is great. I drive 300 miles a week and spend $40 to do it, not bad for 11 years old. At the 10 year marker the catalytic convertor WILL give out, but thats the only issue with it. The heater will boil you and the a/c will freeze you, no issues. The suspension is loose (because it isn't a sports car) and the steering is also very soft which is great for long drives. This car is designed to get you from point A to point B with comfort and realibility, it does both very well considering it costs only a couple grand.
  • 2012 Toyota Corolla
    sonobrasil, Lighthouse Point, FL, January 18, 2013 19:10
    Great car. Good on gas. Everything fits the bill.
    Visitor, Linton, IN, January 16, 2013 14:01
    I love my old 1991 Toyota Corolla, it looks just like the one in your picture but with loads of rust under the doors! I bought it brand new in November of 1990, the interior is in good shape & it has over 286K miles on it. I've never had anything major done on it & i intend to keep running it until it gives out, hopefully it will outlast me!!! It may look rough but its great not paying car payments! Many times i have seen cars at the side of the road, that have something wrong with them & they are a lot newer than mine!!! I love it & would love to eventually have another one!!!
    Visitor, Cheyenne, WY, December 01, 2012 14:48
    I bought an LE new in Dec 2001 (12 miles). I have 96K miles on it now. I’ve replace the struts this year. The drivers side door handle needs replaced. Other maintance: oil change every 3K miles, just flushed the power steering, radiator, brake fluid, replaced the serpentine belt, and a new battery last year. The gas mileage has started to drop I get about 34 miles per gal highway and 26 mpg in town. The car does OK in the snow I have gotten stuck before. I do feel the wind often as drive (live in a windy part of the state) but that is to be expected as it is a small car. The first 100K miles have gone pretty good so far. I’ll see how the second 100K treats me. I don’t have the oil burning issue that people below seem to be having, but maybe due to the low mileage in comparison.
    Visitor, North Richland Hills, TX, November 09, 2012 08:03
    I bought my Corolla brand new in 2001. I have always loved Toyotas and will continue to use them. The person saying they replaced the timing belt must be thinking about the Camry. I did have a Camry before and the timing belt broke at 125K miles and totaled the engine. This time I made sure my car didn't have a timing belt. Around 130K miles the check engine light started coming on and reading that it needed a new catalytic converter. We replaced the converter and the light was on again within less than a year. The place we bought the converter was shut down so we couldn't use our warranty. We went to Midas and bought another one with a one year warranty. After 6 months the light came on again and the people at Midas did not want to honor the warranty saying that something was wrong with our car. I took the car to the dealership and was told that our car is fine but the after market cats are not any good. To have the dealership replace the cat would cost over $2000 which is more than the car is worth. Midas reluctantly and rudly agreed to honor the warranty on the cat based on what the dealership said but said they would not warranty the new cat they were putting on. Less than 6 months later the light came on again and we took it to another place that said it wasn't the cat but that it wasn't installed correctly. Midas would not honor the warranty and wouldn't correct the situation so we had to get another cat. Now, less than 1 month later the light is on again. I wouldn't worry since it is just a cat but I live in Texas where we have to get our cars inspected and I can't pass inspection with the check engine light on. The car now has over 160K miles, is burning oil and has the check engine light on. It was a good car but it's time for a new one.
    Visitor, Hahira, GA, October 31, 2012 10:26
    I, my daughter and my youngest son all bought the 2005 corolla. They have 85,000 and 120,000 miles, I have 139,000 miles. We have only bought tires, brakes (me at 110,000) and standard oil & filter. I replaced the long cooling belt at 90,000 just as a precaution. The engine trouble light came on at 138,000, it was just the gas cap was not tight, the computer print out said it could be loose wire on sensor of tranny, but the gas cap took care of it. WHAT A GREAT CAR!!! i'm in south Georgia they are in Michigan and indiana.
    Joewino, Grand Prairie, TX, October 27, 2012 10:08
    Now have 108K. No major repairs. Excellent and fun car to drive. Mainly driven by wife as a commuter car. Below is every item I have had to do to the car since purchased new in 2004. For the most part it is just common sense wear and tear/preventative maintenance stuff. Brake pads at 58K pads and rotors coming before 109k. Oil changes every 4-6k using either an OEM, Bosch Filtec or Mann oil filter. Switched to high mileage oil at around 75K. Have used different major oil brands. Radiator fluid and water pump changed at 50k (pump covered under warranty to my surprise) will do fluid again before summer. Tranny fluid changed at 45K, will do pan drop fluid and filter change again soon. Brake fluid changed at 100K. Regular engine air filter changes as required about every 12 to 15K. Same for cabin air filter. Spark plugs changed out at 92K looked good when removed. Car has maintained an average combined 32mpg. Got 60k out of OEM tires and will easily get that out of this set (Michelin's). Never had an alignment. Rotate tires every other oil change. OEM battery lasted until 2010. Replace both headlights after drivers side went out in 2012. Have used dealer service to do water pump (which they found leaking when I went in for radiator fluid change) and the first 6 oil changes which they did for free. They also did the brake pads and charged an arm and a leg. Bought second set of pads and new rotors on line and will have local mechanic change them. Cost savings are significant. All other oil changes have been done at different local oil change places. Air filters and head light changes were done by me. Tire rotations and balances are free at Discount tire. Have not decided on where next tranny fluid and filter change will be done at. Plugs changed by local mechanic for $25.00 in labor. I bought the plugs (NGK) on line.
    Visitor, Port Huron, MI, September 30, 2012 15:55
    My 2007 runs well and I have no mechanical issues, lives up to what I expect from Toyota. I do, however, have water leaking into passenger area especially in front when it rains, floor gets really wet, vacuumed at least 1/2 gallon of water out of floor mat last time had heavy rain. Dealer and Toyota deny any obligation at this point at least. Dealer says cost to repair is $450. This kind of failure is very rare I think. The car has 100,000 miles on it so far, many more left but I am unhappy about water leak, this shouldnt happen.
    Visitor, Apopka, FL, September 02, 2012 13:33
    I purchased this 1994 Toyota Corolla DX in 1996. It gets oil changes every 3 months. Never failed to get me where ever I had to go, hurricanes or blizzards. I just drove from Fla. to NH with no problems as usual. I did have the struts replaced 2012 as my Grandson used it in and out ofrough road construction jobs. Always a faithful car. It has 145,000mi and gets 35mpg city and 48mpg hwy. Finally had a tune up in 2012 . Runs like a new car. I did have belts replaced, new battery 2012. AC has not worked since 2009. Everything else in this car works great. Needs a paint job from being hit .by hurricane waves as I crossed bridges in the Fla. keys. Salt water kills the paint
    Visitor, Fort Scott, KS, August 02, 2012 07:59
    My 2007 Corolla purchased new, has been a good car, except the AC went out and will cost over 1300 to fix just after the warranty expired, I live in Kansas with 100+ degree weather and it really stinks that I can't get the AC fixed for less and enjoy my summers. Can't stand to go out of town in it with no AC.
    Visitor, Silver Lake, KS, August 01, 2012 12:44
    we bought our '03 in '05 with 30,000 miles on it. we now have 285,000+. overall it has been an EXTREMELY reliable car. it now burns about a qt of oil a month but still runs well. we've had an issue with the rotars. car was shaking when braking and at highway speeds. replaced rotars problem went away - for about 6 months. same problem again. had to replace one of the ignition coil packs recently. besides that it has needed very little maintenance. we got more than our money's worth out of it. Toyota has earned my business for sure.
    Visitor, Leesburg, GA, June 25, 2012 10:48
    Bought my Toyota Corolla 10 years ago and have only had minimal work done...only maintenance type things like brakes, brake pads, one timing belt, cv joints...normal stuff. I am at 209,000 miles and going strong. Just made a 2,300 mile trip. The car has been to Colorado from Georgia twice and countless trips to TX and VA. It has been a champ. I will drive nothing BUT a Toyota!
  • 2012 Toyota Corolla
    mastiff, Winchester, KY, June 15, 2012 05:32
    I have a 2009 corolla the water pump went out and threw the serpentine belt. Towed it home and replaced both ,but now the car will turn over but won,t start. Can anyone give me some advise on what to possibly might be the problem.I appreciate the help. Thanks
    Visitor, Taylorsville, KY, June 05, 2012 17:37
    1992 Toyota Corolla. I just bought this little car for $600. 5 speed base model. I don't believe it but I've measured the mileage 4 times. I got 49.5 mpg on a trip from outside Louisville to Shannon IL outside Chicago. I held it at 55mph the whole way just to see what it could do. I drove 75-80 on the way back with about an extra 500lb load and got 43 mpg on the way back. It's getting 30 mpg in city/stop an go short runs. I can't believe it got basically 50mpg. This car runs smooth as a top. Has anyone else tried a long run 55mpg steady mpg test? I'm amazed and love these little corolla's.
    Visitor, Gaithersburg, MD, May 30, 2012 19:42
    The engine is too weak as one of the reviewer mentioned, and rpm goes quite high, it is really awful on upward slope, steering is smooth. Less than a year old and there is water leakage now on driver and passenger side, dealer does not want to look at it unless the water leaks when I take the car to them. Will switch to Hyundai next time, I guess Toyota had its run.
    Visitor, Aberdeen, WA, May 20, 2012 12:18
    Bought my 2007 Toyota Corolla brand new, just before the warranty was up, water pump went out! Now the A/C won't bring any cool air into the car, have only 36,316 miles on this car, and take it in faithfuly to the dealer for oil change and maintenance. Not a happy camper!
    Visitor, Whittier, CA, April 27, 2012 21:09
    i'm a proform bench buil;der. presently rebuilding a 2002 toy. corolla. oil sludge caused poor pumping , led to failure. customer negec. run senthedic oil. it's a good idea to rebuild your top end a around 100,000 miles. thats always been a good way to rebalance your engine without an overhaul , ( pay me now , or , pay me later.) this corolla is only a 1.8 lit. engine not a race car, but do to satisfaction we sometimes neglet them that way. i've found a lot of models, before they went to the 2.4 lit. engines, failures do to timine belt tensioner failure prematurly. if you fould this to be your case don't wait to standerd 50,000 - 60,000 replacement. do at 25,000 - to - 30,000 and save your engine. we havn't had a rebuiuld reture in 5yrs. p.s. check modle history, alot of manufacture, quality contol caused failure . spes. wronge, torq. wronge, they don't refigure on the line. overall todays car are some of the most trouble -0free in history. rfebuld your top end at 100,000 miles . timing belts on time , and rotate all your trans. fluid at 70,000 or more Kraig
    Visitor, Big Stone Gap, VA, April 16, 2012 15:54
    idid a head job on the motor an the shimes got mix up an i try everything
    Visitor, Palmer, MA, March 27, 2012 07:03
    My 2002 5-speed Corolla has 117K miles on it. My last 2 cars had over 250K each when I replaced them and I had high hopes for this one. I think it's one of the rare "lemon" Corollas, though. I bought it in 2007 with 42K miles after having it inspected by my mechanic. After 7 months it needed a new transmission ($2K). A year later it needed a catalytic converter ($750K). Now I'm being told it needs struts ($1.5K). I've never had to replace any of these things in any other car I've ever owned! I'm wondering if I should just cut my losses and get rid of it, but in between the expensive repairs it's been reliable with only regular maintenance needed. I wish there was some way to know if something else big is going to go. I'm thinking that some of the issues are because the car must have sat a lot before I bought it, the mileage in a 5 year old car was so low which I thought was a good thing then.
    Visitor, Clermont, GA, March 14, 2012 15:51
    Bought mine at 50k in 07 I've put 150,000 on it since and the only repairs I've had to make is the throttle position sensor .
    Echosyn, Ennis, TX, March 06, 2012 07:00
    Tillie is a basic 5 door charcoal black wagon that was acquired in excellent condition for $1800 in 2002. The dome light switch lost conductivity at a brad, but I fixed it with solder. Good routine maintenance has kept it always ready excepting the trans that I killed when I changed the fluid January 23d prior to inspection. This trans MUST be professionally serviced in a shop where they can pressurize it to insure the fluid is properly distributed inside. The inspection with trans replace, major tuneup, struts and filters cost me $4,000.00. Now I basically have a like new car with warranty. Sweedens Auto Care in Duncanville, Texas is a 5 star company.
    Visitor, Fort Lauderdale, FL, February 23, 2012 16:15
    running when wheather hot engine loses power shut down ,when cool after 30 min. restarts runs fine than repeats replaced fuel pump dist. disp cap , rotor ,plugs , wires ,water pump
    Visitor, Pflugerville, TX, January 08, 2012 11:35
    I bought my car brand new with 4 miles on it in January 1996, I love this car and although I have had many opportunities to get a new car I won't. This car is sporty yet practical and most of all paid for! It's seen the back of a tow truck twice and that was only because of a flat and I did not have a thin walled socket to change out for the spare (it has after market rims on it). It's never had any mechanical problems, it is serviced regularly (advantage of a husband that is a mechanic) and although the head liner is peeling away and the paint needs to be done, I love my Corolla even at 262,598 miles! Getting it painted and she's still a dream ride!
    Visitor, Jersey City, NJ, December 06, 2011 19:07
    I am intending to install a two way radio in a 1995 toyota corolla. Are there any problems with doing so? Is there a technical bulletin on the subject?
    Visitor, Ark, VA, December 03, 2011 08:14
    My 2002 Corolla is pretty good I can't compalian. Its great on gas especially in a small town. Of course routine maintenance is required. I've encountered a few problems with some the electrical, like the volume for the stock radio shorted out to the dimmer switch for the dash light and the door switches don't quite work right causing me to take the dome light out so it wouldn't keep draining my battery. Other than that the only major problem I've had is the car was abused before I got it so one of my rocker arm has come loose partially blocking oil flow causing it to burn a lot of oil and allow blow by into the exhaust. (and the corolla does have a timing belt or chain, it is needed to run the oil pump)
    FBerry, Scottsboro, AL, November 25, 2011 12:45
    My 2008 Toyota Corolla was getting 35 mpg. I got a recall notice on the ECM and had it changed. Prior to the change the shop foreman repeatedly stated that the ECM had nothing to do with the car's gas mileage. After the ECM change the gas mileage dropped to 26 to 28 mpg. We return to the dealer and he still states the ECM had nothing to do with the excessive drop in gas mileage. We took the car elsewhere to have the computer tested. They told us all seemed to be in order as far as the sensors. Besides the ECM, is there something else that could be wrong that caused the gas mileage to drop immediately after the ECM change?
    Peter Dong, Raleigh, NC, October 26, 2011 22:20
     Technician
    I am driving a 2011 Corolla S. It's a nice small size car but the engine is too weak and the rpm usually went to 4k!
  • 1997 Toyota Corolla
    Visitor, Waycross, GA, October 19, 2011 10:28
    I have approx 300,000 miles on my 2005 Corolla. I have used Mobile 1 and changed oil at 10,000 intervals with a filter change at 5,000 since the car has been new. Had the transmission flushed at 150,000, changed spark plugs every 100,000 and put new front and back brakes on car-used aftermarket parts for replacement. Changed belt at every 60,000, and all work has been done by me. The only problem that I have had with the car was at 178,000. One of the power packs went bad and I replaced all 4 with used packs from a junk yard that cost 10 ea. I will try my best to get 500,000 plus miles out of this car. It is a CE with fewer things to go wrong.
    Visitor, Dingess, WV, October 17, 2011 14:40
    has any one had the driver side power window bust when u were rolling it down
    Visitor, Meadville, PA, October 08, 2011 04:37
    starts and runs fine when leaving for work. when i try to start to go home, it turns over and wants to catch but wont. changed the altinator, it was fine about a month. then changed the plugs, it was fine about a month. Now doing it again. it does it sporadically - always starts up in morning, but then problems after sitting. wont start first couple trys, but then will after sitting for a while. no apparent patern... runs good otherwise...
    Visitor, Taunton, MA, September 28, 2011 11:04
    This is car has had numerous issues the transmission slips since the first week I bought it. The interior console has broken twice and Toyota fixed the first one because it was deemed defective but will not replace the second one. The computer died while I was driving it and stranded me. This was repaired but Toyota knew of the issue and never contacted owners. This is my third and last Toyota. I believe their quality safety and value have seriously declined since my first car purchase.
    Visitor, Rutherfordton, NC, September 26, 2011 21:43
    my corolla has a grinding noise when you turn the wheels all the way and when the engine and transmission is cold the transmission jumps in first then clears up i let it warm up 5 minutes what colud the problems be?
    Helen Dabel, Madison, WI, September 22, 2011 13:23
    The mechanic says I should have the water pump replaced although I have had no problem with it
    Visitor, Arlington, VA, September 18, 2011 13:29
    Fantastic little car. The gas mileage is great. I have only one problem. There is a reoccuring noise that sounds like it is coming from the charcoal canister between the rear wheels. This noise happens at any speed and lasts only a second or two. Sounds like a moving part or possibly a vibration. Of course, it won't happen when the mechanic is in the car. Otherwise, a great little car.
    Visitor, Fort Lauderdale, FL, September 03, 2011 07:50
    I bought my J-Mota with only 173,000 miles in it. And I owned it for about 3 years now in never had any major problem with it... Best car ever built... 1990 Toyota Corolla DX AWESOME CAR!!!!!!!!!!
    Visitor, Tampa, FL, September 02, 2011 15:54
    I need help! I got a nice toyota corolla 1995 DX 1.6. Recently I had to change the ignition module and a 30 amp fuse. The car start good. Weird noise in the motor tho'. My problem is that now my car won't shift. Is automatic, stays in 1 gear all the way to 35 and I release the gas, hit the gas but still no shift. Check all the wires, and everything is in place. What could it be? A speed sensor?
    Visitor, West Haven, CT, August 28, 2011 10:16
    my toyo has 266,ooo miles and it drives awesome bset car i ever bought these little car are the best toyota evr made!!!!!!
    Visitor, Burnsville, MN, August 19, 2011 13:48
    I love my car. However I have rust on the drain hole of the sunroof and Toyota refuses to fix it under warranty! Poor customer service even got Nationals involved! $1200 to fix.
    engin clunck, Tustin, CA, July 26, 2011 07:17
    I just replaced surpantee belt still making noise. now mechanic's thinking tension, timing chain?
    Visitor, Nassau, NY, July 08, 2011 08:30
    Perfect car Kudos to Toyota Corolla 2003 - Daramson
    JosRod, Bedford, NY, June 20, 2011 06:51
    Very reliable, just a little weak in the steering compartment
    Visitor, Euclid, OH, June 15, 2011 20:18
    My 2002 Corolla was a wonderful car. I loved this car! Other than routine maintenance and a few minor issues, I did not have any problems at all. It was quiet, reliable, comfy, and perfect for me. I would not have given this car up unless I had to - with 92,000 miles on it, I had planned on keeping it for a long time to come. Unfortunately and very sadly, my 2002 Corolla was t-boned on the driver's side. The side impact airbag protected me from serious injury. The accident, however, probably totaled my beloved car. I am still waiting for the insurance company to make that determination. For nine years, this car has taken me everywhere I've needed to go - reliably and safely. That made this car worth its weight in gold for me. (And a side note: the person who wrote that they had to have the timing belt replaced twice - this car does not have a timing belt. You were cheated on that point.)
    Visitor, Ramseur, NC, May 20, 2011 06:48
    Have almost 300K on my 1995 and drive it to/from work, 100 miles total, daily. Love my Toy!
    Visitor, Anaheim, CA, May 15, 2011 12:43
    Probably the best car I've ever owned, out of 30+ different cars that I've had total. I bought it new in 2002, now has c. 140,000 miles with no serious problems. Did replace a window motor once, Set of four tires is around $150. Maintenance is always cheap, serpentne belt can be changed very cheaply. That's the only belt. It sounds like the person below that paid $300+ for each of two belts was seriously ripped off by an unscrupulous mechanic. I agree with the dash board lights, they are half out and not worth the cost of replacing them. Air conditioning has always been outstanding here in hot SoCal, as is the great mileage, 32 mpg + consistently every year. I have never spent more than $200 to do anything to this car, be it brakes, tires, anything, and I have had it serviced by the dealer at regular intervals up to 100k miles.
    Visitor, Orange Cove, CA, April 28, 2011 20:12
    I had replace the transmission at 34000 mi. Had to replace the park neutral safety switch at 72000 mi. Had a recall on the electronic control unit & was replaced at 72000 mi. Had to replace the water pump at 73000 mi.
    Visitor, Sherman Oaks, CA, April 21, 2011 18:30
    I bought my '02 CE Corolla brand new; it had 7 miles on it when I drove it off the lot. Yes, the engine has a small issue with burning oil, but nothing dramatic. I've noticed that light bulbs burn out frequently, and the one feature that has always annoyed me is that you can't turn the headlights off. At 108,000 miles, everything still works well enough. The paint is chipping a little on the rear bumper and the rubber on the left side of the steering wheel is slightly loose, but I've had this car for almost eleven years so I'd expect some minor imperfections by now. I love the power; for a 4-cylinder automatic, it really moves! In contrast, I recently drove a Nissan Versa, and it was a gutless wonder. I'd definitely buy another Corolla; I'm only sorry that I'm stuck with manual door locks and windows until I buy my next car.
    James The Fox, Pleasant Grove, UT, April 15, 2011 15:59
    Great car for commuting because it keeps on going no matter what happens. My particular car went through the wringer, but if it were in better condition it'd be a nice car.
    Visitor, Orlando, FL, April 08, 2011 17:45
    I bought my 96 toyota corolla brand new i only have 96000 miles on it it is great
    Visitor, Gladwin, MI, April 04, 2011 19:27
    Well today i had to install a timing belt BUT the car has 300K on it and any weather -20 or 100F the car starts just as soon as you turn the key . The body is rusty but i don't take care of her at all and Michigan is salt crazy when they clean the roads. As for oil changes maybe once a year if that and i drive alot . I bought this car 10 years ago for $400 and for the last 5 have been just trying to kill it and i fret i will pass away first
    Visitor, Paris, KY, March 22, 2011 19:17
    I have bought a 2009 Corolla S brand new from the dealership for excellent price. It now has 50,000 miles on it and no problems. The interior has excellent style. Seats are very comfortable and very easy to clean. There is plenty of room in the front and back seats. The trunk has plenty of room. The S styling looks very nice and sporty. The 4 cylinder engine is very quick. Front wheel drive. Vehicle does include front and side airbags. It is equipped with traction control, ABS, vehicle stability control. Does excellent in all weather including snow. Very smooth ride. Overall quality is excellent. The steering tightens up at higher speeds for better control. The vehicle gets on average 34mpg. I would 100% recommend this car to anyone.
    Visitor, Kendallville, IN, March 06, 2011 15:25
    I bought a 95 Corolla DX 6 years ago for my son when he graduated from Purdue. He drove it 3 years in Chicago and got a company car then. He asked me if I wanted it back so I took it back. I've drove it 3 years now and can't believe how good of a car this is. It has a 5 speed and gets 30MPG + in the summer. The only thing I've had to do is replace the clutch slave cylinder, easy job did it my self for very little money, replaced the alternator and starter both 2 times. Did both those myself to for very little money. Car has 175,000 miles on it and I hate to even think about getting rid of it. Yes it is a little car and don't ride like a dream but it sure is dependable. I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a trip right now. To bad all cars aren't like these Corollas!
    Visitor, West Hartford, CT, February 06, 2011 22:45
    The one good thing I will say about my 02 Corolla is it always gets me to where I have to go. I bought it used back in 2005 with about 60,000 miles on it from a Toyota Dealership. Now, the problems; 1. Had to replace 2 struts within the first 3 months - Dealership covered that. 2. Started to burn oil at about 75,000. It now has 145,000 and I add 3-5 quarts per tank of gas! 3. Bulbs burn out frequently and the instrument panel lights went out within the first year. 4. It has a chronic hesitation problem and burns out spark plugs every few months or so. 5. Recently discovered I had 2 leaking fuel injectors that had to be replaced. 6. MAF sensor has had to be replaced twice. This car is a constant headache but it does get me from point A to point B. I have a love/hate relationship with it. Oh did I mention that the engine needs replaced or rebuilding?
    Visitor, Fort Lauderdale, FL, January 20, 2011 21:15
    Most reliable car ever.
    Visitor, Metairie, LA, January 10, 2011 06:53
    Runs great,very dependable, great gas mileage. Interior has issues, door panels warping, headliner separating, and the inside door handle breaking which is a guarantee and not only with this model, but is very inexpensive to order and relatively easy to replace.
    DELKA, Salem, MA, January 07, 2011 14:51
    HAD SO MANY ISSUES WITH IT, BUT NOT B/C OF THE CAR TYPE MORE SO THE SELLER DIDN'T TELL ME ALL THE PROBLEMS IT HAD IN THE PAST.
    dwhatley9359, Austin, TX, December 15, 2010 06:29
    My 2004 computer crapped out just driving along.Upon research this computer needs velcro attached to it so you can replace quickly and often. It all seems to happen around 80K miles.
    Visitor, Farmington, NM, December 12, 2010 11:43
    After owning a new '89 Corolla SR5 from 1988-94, I bought my 2006 Corolla CE without a second thought. I assumed (I know, I know...) that the '06 Corolla was a known quantity. And although my 2006 has been as reliable as the sun and gets great fuel mileage, it's a boring, dissappointing, appliance to drive. Granted, it's not a luxury car, not a sports car, and not a truck nor SUV. It wasn't intended to be those things - I get that. But at least my '89 Corolla was fun! It had a personality and was easy to bond with. After I sold it in the 90s, I missed having it around. Compared with my '89, my 2006 Corolla has no soul. It's just a functional transportation device. Nothing more, nothing less. On paper, the 2006 has more room, power, safety devices, and seems nearly better in every regard than the '89 - on paper. In the real world however, something's missing in the '06. Having owned my '06 for over 4 years and 40k miles, I have only done scheduled oil changes (every 5k or 6 months), replaced the engine air filter and cabin air filter - absolutely no other wear and tear items or maintenance. The original tires are getting worn and the belts and hoses may need replacing before too long. But I haven't needed new brakes, new bulbs, wiper blades, nothing - not yet anyway. The manual calls for plugs at 110k, coolant at 100k, timing belt 90k, and no scheduled auto tranny fluid flush unless fluid appears dark or smells burnt. Very economical to own. This car does what it's supposed to do - gets me where I'm going safely and economically. If you don't mind owning a soul numbing appliance, then get an '06 Corolla. Perhaps one reason this car is so inconspicuous is because it's so reliable. It doesn't require much attention or TLC. You just gas it up (regular unleaded) and off you go.
    Visitor, Highland, NY, December 12, 2010 06:45
    this is the first car i bought new. with 100k on the odometer it has proven to be, overall, a reliable car. BUT: i have had many quality issues with it. the body started rusting 1 year after purchase and toyota called it acceptable rust. the body has continued to rust despite my "rust proofing". the defrost is anemia...always foggy windows when it rains. after less than 1yr of driving, the passanger side under car plastic covering blew off at 65mph on a clear dry interstate. toyota said i hit something and refused to pay for repairs. the the interior dome light has been burning out since new at an alarmingly frequent rate. the air conditioning stopped blowing cold last year. the brakes are barely adequate. warping rotors are common.-all oem parts btw... MANY brake and fuel lines have ruptured throughout it's life. am replacing a ruptured fuel filter now. PIA! no troubles with the motor. runs as new. toyotas are very good reliable cars providing you replace them often. i repair my own vehicles so the cost of repairs were moderate but if i had to rely on a dealer or local shop.... i'd be much poorer. rusty in new york
    Visitor, Jackson, CA, December 08, 2010 22:04
    After a trouble-free 5 years, the oil light blinked a couple times. The next day I checked and it was 1.5 qts low. No problem, put oil in it like usual. 2 days later the engine siezed up? $4,500 for a rebuilt. My first and absolutely last Toyota.
    Visitor, Massapequa, NY, December 06, 2010 08:00
    At 90,000 the computer quit and so did the car at a stop light ($1300.00+ repair at dealer). Had 2 oxygen sensors go at different times repaired for total of $600.00. The last Toyota I ever buy.
    Hella Smooth, Grayson, GA, November 24, 2010 10:57
    This model engine would burn oil like crazy. Great mechanic says that model valve seals are defective. Rebuilt engine, $2500.00 and running like new. Because burning oil it burned out cat. converter and had to replace, $375.00 to pass emissions. Fly wheel needs to be replaced due to lateral crack in this part. Cost $500.00 to replace because the transmission has to be dropped in order to get to the fly wheel. Wife had car and is very hard on vehicle now I'm getting the car back in shape and plan to keep as my everyday work car for another 10 years. Great gas mileage. Not the best looking vehicle on the road but not driving for the looks to work everyday. Cost me some $ to maintain but cheaper than new car note. Dependable now that I have a great mechanic to take care of repairs. Hope to get 300k miles out of this vehicle.
    vinayrana1993, Plattsburgh, NY, November 23, 2010 07:47
    The vehicle has great visibilty and handling. Its amazing on fuel consumption. I love my car! Although, its not the best looking thing out there, with a bit of love you could bring some changes that will have this car looking better then the same year competition vehicles (Civic, Focus, Protege, etc.) Very cost efficient.
    Visitor, Fort Smith, AR, November 07, 2010 10:59
    I bought this car used with a little over 40K on the dash about 7 years ago. I'm now at 100K- no major repairs to this point. Tuned up 3 times during this span of ownership. Had the belts and hoses inspected thoroughly at 90K- all checked good. I ran Castrol 10W30/40 until about 80K, have switched to Mobile 1since. Getting about 35MPG. One issue I've been having is that the engine occasionally "stalls" when applying the gas from a full stop. Idle runs a tad slow for a few minutes at startup- requires a bit of coaxing from the gas to finally idle at a good level. Cosmetically- paint around the door molding is coming off, outside driver door handle broke off when the wind caught it while holding, and indoor handle on the driver door broke off after acting a bit screwy for a year. How do I open the driver door, you might ask? I made a loop of velcro tape around the outside door handle. It may look funky, but it works! Outside of these minor bits, this car has been great. It shows no signs of not being able to make it to 200K and beyond.
    Visitor, Brookline, MA, November 06, 2010 12:16
    I have a 2000 Corolla with 97k miles. I find it hard to believe people are having problems with their 1998-2002 Corollas. I basically do no maintenance other than change the oil, do the brakes, and get new tires. I have never parked the car in a garage, this car has lived its life out in the streets of Boston through many a winter. I'm simply amazed at how this little car can take so much abuse! The car has never given me any problems, has nice peppy acceleration, and is very fuel efficient. Not to mention I haven't had a car payment in years. What a great car!
    Visitor, Jacksonville, NC, November 04, 2010 09:23
    I bought my 07 corolla in july of 2007 new. I have put 167,000 miles on my car. I havent had any real problems. The clutch started slipping at about 150,000 miles. Its still running ok. Interior is cheaply made, center console is broken. No other problems, its been a good car
    Renae, Mesa, AZ, October 29, 2010 04:59
    I was in a crash this week and the seat belt did not hold me from slamming into the steering wheel. I have the imprint of te streering wheel on my chest. Also the airbag did not deploy. I have a 08 corolla that I bought brand new. Anyone have any ideas WHY??? I am so mad at Toyota rigft now.
    Visitor, Romeoville, IL, October 22, 2010 19:39
    Very few problems!
    Visitor, Virginia Beach, VA, October 21, 2010 15:39
    Wonderful Car!! My Judy is going strong after owning it for 8 years and have put 125,000 miles on her. Making a total of 250,000! No matter what I do, or where I go...she keeps going. Corolla's are champions!
    Visitor, Bronx, NY, October 16, 2010 07:41
    Electric control module will go at some point so make sure you have your car under warrenty. My experience, I had to change a few senors due to the check engine light that rank up cost after a while and also electric issues with this car. Great gas per mile but the long term this toyota car is not reliable.
    Visitor, Cleveland, OH, October 15, 2010 14:32
    I thought radiator overheating was the problem; but only adding synthetic oil to the engine, which oil change I had ignored, solved the overheating.
    Visitor, Bardstown, KY, October 08, 2010 15:10
    Paint is starting to wear in a few places, but has never been garaged, so not surprising. Brakes do need more frequent replacement than expected, and having drums on the back isn't the optimum choice. Has held up exceptionally well as far as drive train is concerned. Engine eats oil, but is common for this model year 1zz-fe (keep oil in it and it'll run forever). Have had to get cat converter replaced and have replaced charcoal canister due to overfilling gas tank (allegedly). Feels a little sloppy as far as drive is concerned, but with a new set of coilovers and struts (and possibly strut/sway bar) sticks to the road like nobody's business. Only other thing replaced was the Mass Airflow Sensor. Terrific car. Prefer this over my 2005 Honda Element hands down. Have used and abused this vehicle over the years and it still runs terrifically!
    Visitor, Cleveland, OH, October 07, 2010 11:25
    I have had this car for seven months and this is my fourth corolla. I like the added safety features and the jack for the mp3 player. The lack of intermiitent speed selection for the wipers really sucks.
    Visitor, Winter Springs, FL, September 27, 2010 11:47
    I just saw that someone else wrote that their car leaks when it rains. Mine does too. expecially near passenger door and through my moonroof switch. Toyota told me it is because a did not clean my moonroof area. Went home and cleaned it. Still leaking. All my family has toyota, we are all going to switch now.
    Visitor, Pleasant Valley, NY, September 19, 2010 14:24
    Most reliable vehicle I have ever owned..end of story. Not fancy, not an eye turner, but it will get the job done and never leave you on the side of the road.
    Visitor, Durham, NC, September 15, 2010 09:03
    My 2007 Corolla, which I purchased new, broke two weeks ago and Toyota has said they are not able to get the part to fix it. Is anyone else having the same problem? A clip that is attached to a strap that holds the pan under the gas tank broke and the pan now vibrates very loudly against the exhaust system. The service techician where I bought the car wired (?) the parts together so they wouldn't vibrate so loudly and told me they can't get the part, don't have any idea when it will be available, and to keep driving the car until it breaks again. He suggested I get the part off a wrecked car. When I called the salvage yard they said the part would probably be broken if a car is wrecked. I'm afraid to drive the car any more than necessary due to the vibration. Is anyone else having problems getting this part to the fuel system? Can anyone tell me if it's dangerous to drive with the vibration?
    Visitor, Saint Paul, MN, September 12, 2010 08:51
    I bought it with 30K as rental. Had to replace the clutch on 60K, blinker switch on 140K, sway link pins on 150K. That was all till 175K. It does burn oil. The most reliable car ever.
    Visitor, Caldwell, NJ, September 08, 2010 05:36
    Car works great, just surprised that nobody mentioned that their window motor died. I had it happen and a buddy who has the same car had it happen too. Besides that car gets me from A to B so no complaints.;
    Visitor, Little Neck, NY, August 28, 2010 22:47
    ecm nightmare! check engine lite at 38K miles. had ecm replaced under the 8/80K. now today, the day after picking it up from the dealer, i go shopping, goto start the car, and it doesn't start. so i scanned the car and now im getting a different code. car starts whenever it feels like it. wow toyota... thanx!
    Visitor, Columbia, MD, August 21, 2010 19:03
    In March of 1996 I purchased my Gold Corolla Toyota DX (due to the recommendation of Consumer Reports that year) brand spanking new with only 18 miles on it. My “Bessie” currently has 223,000 miles. It is still my primary car. During the work week I drive close to 70 miles a day. I have to drive 25 miles to work and then another 25 miles back home in addition to driving it to various patient’s homes as a home care therapist throughout the day. Because of its age and the extended driving that I do along with some minor leaks, I have to put in 1 quart of oil every two weeks. I have had some minor repairs, oil changes when I could and the usual wear and tear items done. I have had to replace the alternator several times which after doing some research I found is a common problem with the 1996 Corolla. I have also replaced the starter and battery several times as I have to restart the car 6 to 10 times per day due to the nature of my work which also requires me to frequently sit in the car while it is idling (sorry EPA) and complete work on my computer while listening to music or the radio. I upgraded the radio a few years ago in addition to installing XM radio. I replaced the radiator last winter and a month later was involved in a car accident which damaged the front bumper and hood and slightly dented the new radiator. My insurance company totaled it but I decided to get it repaired and fixed up so the front looks like new! Sadly my “Bessie” is considered salvaged now. While it was being repaired I rented a new Nissan Altima. We had a major snow storm and I noticed that the Altima would fish tail on the icy roads. When I got the Corolla back I really appreciated how steady it maneuvered in the snow. I did get stuck a few days after we had 30 inches of snow which consequently damaged the gas tank which I replaced In spite of all of this the engine runs like a CHAMP! I have taken good care of the interior and the paint still looks pretty good. People are amazed how good Bessie looks considering her age. I am now in the market to get a new car but I am planning on fixing up Bessie real nice and using her as a weekend car. When I do research on various newer model cars and brands sadly I see all the complaints that people seem to be having about their cars these days. However people seem to still love their 1996 Toyota Corollas which due to my research seems to have been a good year! Perhaps I will just look for another one with lower mileage and call it a day!
    Visitor, Salt Lake City, UT, August 20, 2010 19:25
    I have a 2004 Corolla with what I feel is an unusual problem. Only occasionally when I start the engine the exhaust shows burning oil for a few moments, then it clears up. I also notice that there are occasions of acceleration through a curve or turn where it will burn oil for a short space of time, and sometimes on rare occasions when just accelerating it will burst a few seconds of oil burning. Does any one have experience with what this may be... I feel it is not constant enough to be piston rings, maybe it is the valve guide on one or more of the valves? I visualize oil pooling in the heads not draining back to the engine block properly, then slowly seeping through the valve guide into the affected cylinder to smoke till burned. Still, the question is why only occasionally? I would love to remedy the cause, but it has a few mechanics stumped during test drives, because the symptoms are occasional and like most sporadic symptoms, they never seem to occur for the professional examining the car.
    Visitor, Pasco, WA, August 16, 2010 08:15
    I bought my first Corolla in '02 brand new, and was quite impressed with its reliability, fuel performance, quiet engine, and overall build quality. Without hesitation I went straight to the dealership for an upgrade in '06. I really love to drive this car because its just fun to drive around overall. I have around 83K on it now, and have barely had any issues with it. I had to get new tires at 35K, and recently got new brakes at 80K. A few minor issues did arise though. During the 25K mark, the windshield ended up with a broken seal for some reason, and I had to get it resealed at the dealership. The right front factory tire went flat twice, and the AC isn't all that great. The factory stereo is kind of lame, and doesn't have enough tweet or base to it. But the fuel efficiency is great. I range around 340 on a tank.
    Visitor, Boone, NC, August 13, 2010 22:25
    Extreme pressure change when driving over 40 mph.
    Visitor, Wadsworth, OH, August 07, 2010 18:18
    Had this car 6 years. It now has 165,000 miles. I replace the brakes every other year. It used a lot of oil, but what the heck, it's 8 years old. I now add Lucas with high mileage oil and it's fine. Didn't sound right, added Seafoam, now it sounds like new. Got a new serpentine belt, a friend put it on during a lunch break at his work's parking lot, took 10 minutes, cost like $12. Who the heck paid $365 twice for a belt??? I love my 2002 Corolla!
    Visitor, Santa Fe, NM, August 07, 2010 11:20
    i purchased a toyoya corolla and the ac is blowing hot air, what do i need to do
    Visitor, Omaha, NE, August 04, 2010 21:32
    I had it for for 9 Years, just a few problems, I'm still happy
    Visitor, San Jose, CA, July 25, 2010 12:22
    I have no specific complains about this car but , i met an accident last week and realised the car does not stop if you apply brakes suddenly on this car, so please don't even try putting brakes when you have to stop all of a sudden rather try to escape the collision. And More over Air bags did not come out of the car :( that was something i was not prepared for . Heard similar complains from lot many Toyota owners who have met accidents in past . So please drive this car slow and safe , its good on gas but not very good on safety. Hope this review would help someone looking for some inforation on this car.
    Visitor, Philomath, OR, July 16, 2010 09:48
    Great car exellent milage. Car drove very nice, handled great. Never really had many problems with the car. I put 135k miles on it and still would be driving it if it only had a deer deflector sheild.
    Visitor, North Manchester, IN, July 09, 2010 11:02
    Love this car. It has close to 300k miles (although maybe more, the odometer stopped turning for a while) and it still runs like a champ. Does 90+ mph on the highway easy. Have rarely taken it to the mechanic, although it does leak oil like a hoss and makes a new, strange sound bout every single day. Personality. Only have had to replace oil, brakes, tires, and the keyhole. Im not very nice to it, but it always treats me well.
    Visitor, Minneapolis, MN, July 06, 2010 16:44
    I bought this car as a "throw away vehicle" after my last car had a total failure of the clutch and the dealer wanted more money than it was worth to fix. When I looked at the car I was shocked by the amount of features as well as the low mileage the car had for it's age. I was also pleasantly surprised when the car got a decent bill of health from my mechanic. I am not shocked however to report that I have had the same issues that most people with the 1995 Corolla (1.8) have had. The motor mount, the rough idle (EGR valve), and a quirky albeit working seatbelt. Overall I am VERY pleased with my purchase, and even though I have put a little bit of money in this car it will last me MUCH longer than the pile of a Hyundai that I got rid of!
    lexlus, Conway, AR, July 01, 2010 01:55
    I have a 2003 Toyota corolla my second one. Everything is what i expected from a corolla but my brakes keep giving me trouble. It will be fine for 3 miles then the brakes will heat up and slow the cars down. it almost became deadly when it stopped moving on a six lane highway. I've done everything from replacing rotors, lines, pads, master cylinder and it still persists. Does anyone have suggestions?
    Visitor, Rougemont, NC, June 30, 2010 13:04
    GREAT CAR!
    Visitor, Egg Harbor City, NJ, June 22, 2010 18:44
    I've had mine since 1999, has over 120,000 miles. Only issue is a leaking windshield wiper fluid tank. Even had an accident in it and had it rebuilt, still goes like crazy.
    Visitor, Catlin, IL, June 11, 2010 18:02
    I bought a 2006 Corolla right off of the truck. I have owned Toyota's sense 1994 . I am upset now because my wheel covers are all bubbling and peeling. I spoke with the service department and they said that was rare but sense i have 59,000 miles it's out of warrenty. I have never had this happen before with any of my cars and they had over 200,000 miles on one of the. A car only 4 years old and this happens? What will it look like in another year? Where do you find help?It also had pre-rust on it and lucky I had taken out that insurance and that was covered.
    Visitor, Ocoee, FL, June 09, 2010 21:57
    At 64000 miles the clutch started to go. It's still (barely) running at 68000 miles, but Toyota wants $1500 to fix it! This car is a lemon - worst cheapest I've ever had
    Visitor, Fuquay Varina, NC, June 06, 2010 18:19
    Love this car
    gbusby, Houston, TX, June 03, 2010 16:16
    I have a 2005 toyota corolla cannot pass the emission test because of a check engine light. Toyola dealer says it needed a electronic computer unit has the ECU replaced and after driving the car away from the dealer, the check engine light came back on. I has to pay 805.00 for a ECU. Then Toyota ran another check and said that another transmission was needed and that it would cost me $2990.00 for one. What can I do?
    Visitor, Wilmington, NC, May 25, 2010 19:52
    I've got 70,000 miles and it has been very reliable with minimum issues. Just replaced a failed battery. Other than oil and filter changes, the only other maintenance I've done so far is change the spark plugs. The ignition control module failed and was replaced at 36,000 mi. while under warranty. My only gripe is that for a few years now it has had a minor oil drip from the front main seal that I have yet attempted to fix.
    panty, Miami, FL, May 24, 2010 17:50
    my ac keps blowing hot air and cold air when the car is park up it blows gold as soon as you start driving it strats to blow hot air what good be the problem
    Visitor, Port Jefferson Station, NY, May 22, 2010 18:49
    Absolutely do not get this car. I have had millions of problems since i got this. It was my first car. I'm 18, I bought a 2002 corolla wit 88,000 miles on it. Not bad right? Yeah okay. Hadnt even had the car 2 weeks, check engine light comes on. Needs a new timing belt. $365. About a month later, light comes on again. Needs some other belt. $365. About 2 months later, light comes on again. Gas cap wasn't on all the way, fine. Free. I then hit 90,000 miles. So I got a 90,000 mile tune up. As I'm driving away from the tune-up, I hear a loud rattling. The next day, the mechanic calls to make sure everything is okay with the car. I tell them about the rattling, I take it back in. Oh, I need a right front strut. $600. I let it be for a while, and drive around listening to the rattling. A few weeks later, light comes on AGAIN. I take it in. Needs a catalytic converter. Oh and while you're at it, it needs new brakes. $700 and $600. Sold that car for $3000 and that's it. i will never buy another Toyota again. I did nothing but pour money into that car. Not to mention I'm a student. And working in a lingerie store does not exactly make me have money bags floating around. Absolutely would not recommend it unless you want constant problems. All these problems were from October-May.
    Visitor, Stanley, NC, May 22, 2010 07:04
    Over the last three years, have had to replace mass air flow sensor, front oxygen sensor twice, rear oxygen sensor, gas cap, catalytic converter, and a few other things I can't remember, all in an effort to get rid of the check engine light and pass emissions inspection. No one seems to be able to get to the heart of the matter. I am quite tired of spending money every year and driving with the light on all the time! I do know that Toyota Corolla's are notorious for issues with the gas cap and engine light (straight out of the dealer's mouth!). I love the gas mileage and beyond the check engine light and replacing the brakes quite frequently, I find no other issues (I have always been a loyal Toyota driver).
    gs45723, Coolville, OH, May 03, 2010 16:35
    I have a 2007 corolla. At 20000 miles the trunk wont release.Has to replace the latch. No cost to me. At 38920 miles car acted like the fuel filter needed replaced. Toyato checked it and had to replace the computer. Again no cost to me.
    Visitor, Fairfield, IL, April 28, 2010 16:29
    I have owned my 2010 Toyota Corolla S for 3 months and I already have paint peeling on my front bumper and prob 10 rock chips on my hood. The dealership is pretty much giving me the run around. Have to wait til a Toyota paint rep comes to look at it! UGH soooooo frustrating!!! Thinking I'm prob gonna have to get legal advice....
    Visitor, Allentown, PA, April 25, 2010 19:16
    i love my toyota... i just got lucky with it.. i bought it for $1500 with only 81,000 miles. I have it now for 2 years and im so happy that i never had a problem with it. i dont care how many new cars they come up with i wont change my car for nothing...
    Visitor, Moscow, ID, April 24, 2010 21:11
    I have always loved toyota and did love this car until the last year. the check engine light kept going on and off. we took it in and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. We took it in again recently and learned that it has horrible compression in cylinder #4 and burns oil. it would be over $1000 to rebuild the engine. this car only has 139K, and we don't drive it aggressively and have had it serviced regularly. makes me a little hesitant to buy another toyota with very many miles.
    Visitor, Sevierville, TN, April 22, 2010 19:51
    I have a 2001 corolla. I have had it for 6 years and it has been a wonderfull car up unttil now. It has 164,000 miles. It has been burning an about a quart of oil a week. The Toyota deadership has told me it is the block and another macanic says its the valves. Either way it will cost alot to fix. I have always stayed on top of oil changes. I thought I could get alot more out of it.
    Visitor, Downey, CA, April 21, 2010 16:29
    i bought this car in 2007 and so far i have no complaints. I love it.
    Visitor, Sherman, TX, April 20, 2010 13:29
    My Toyota just hit 175K and still is running like a pro. I'd be suprised if it did die!
    Visitor, Walnut, CA, April 18, 2010 22:20
    I bought a 2007 Corolla at the end of 2006 and it sucks. The bottom of the passenger's side leaks water when it rains and not just a little bit. It gets the floor mat soaking wet. It also leaks water from the light above the rearview mirror. And again, not just a little but a good amount. It's very annoying when I turn because the water will drip onto my lap. Also, about a year ago, my car started making this squeaking noise like something is loose and turning. Went to get it fixed twice and keep in mind this was a brand new car on the lot NOT used. I feel like Longo Toyota sold me the crappiest one.
    Visitor, Malvern, PA, April 18, 2010 05:34
    has worked perfectly for 102K miles, so far. The only thing that died was the radio/cd player, at about 80K miles.
    Visitor, Jackson, NJ, April 14, 2010 18:41
    GOOD CAR RUNS GREAT AND GOOD GAS MILAGE
    Visitor, Cincinnati, OH, April 12, 2010 17:13
    I love my 2007 Corolla. My car has great pick-up. It really takes off. It runs great. Like any car it has some dings and dents from being bumped. Overall reliability, it is a great car. I have taken it on some trips and I am comfortable in it. It is not a luxery car. It is a budget car. My son has my 1993 corolla and it still runs great.
    Visitor, Sparta, NC, April 11, 2010 08:48
    first corolla ive owned and i love it
    Visitor, Olympia, WA, April 02, 2010 10:47
    I have a 2007 corolla and I had the check engine light couple of times. They said it is computer problem. But my worry is, since it is under warrenty they rectified, but when it goes beyond warrenty period, it is expensive to replace it. Are toyota consider it and need a recall?
    Visitor, Danville, ME, March 25, 2010 20:59
    100% score for me! very good car! ilove this car!!
    alifran, Aurora, CO, March 06, 2010 06:43
    our new 2010 Corolla with 500 miles(thats all)on has an extremely rusted exhaust and udercarriage (bolts corroded, metal rusted through), are there other corollas out there with same problem?
    ra7n7d6, New York, NY, February 25, 2010 19:57
    Despite the fact that I normally only advocate performance, exotic, and luxury vehicles, I love the hell out of this car. (I call it Casey) I bought this car salvaged, and the only major problem I've had since owning this car is the fabric on the roof peeling off a bit. I'm ashamed to say that I treat this car like crap, rarely taking it in for regular maintenence, and performing oil changes only when well overdue, but this car still performs like new, outpacing some luxury vehicles and effortlessly pulling 120 degree turns on the side of a canyon at 35 MPH (not recommended in any car if you value your life). When this car took a straight on collision from the rear at 30, the only damage a SKILLED mechanic could find was a hair-sized scratch on the bumper. This car still continues amazes me, and if you can find one with less than 150k on it at a good price, do yourself a favor and buy it.
    a.severino, Miami, FL, February 24, 2010 08:16
    Hi, I'm Alberto, live and own a 98 Corolla in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic. I bought this car back in 1996 from a previous owner, the car was in great conditions, now I keep it (after 4 years) in very good shape, I must say that I use this car every single day, even for a short ride, might stop 2-3 days when on my yearly vacations. This said, I assure this is a great car that works with no problem at all, in my case the engine is as stable as always, altough it burns oil pretty quicky, specially when I do a 160 miles trip from my city to another, really annoying because you can't count with the regular time before changing oil, you have to keep completeing it like every 2 weeks, this is why the engine got 3 out of 5 stars in this review; if you can bear with it, just as myself, you've got yourself a great car, otherwise, avoid the 98-02 corolas, get your self a 2003 or later, which is my next goal after my wife and I finish constructing our house here in Dominican Rep. Have a nice ride! Alberto Severino www.aseverino.com
  • 1993 Toyota Corolla
    hafez, Schenectady, NY, February 20, 2010 07:10
    toyota corolla 1993 is the best car i love it tooooooo much
    TWWALT, Sutter Creek, CA, February 18, 2010 15:12
    BEST TOYOTA I HAVE EVER OWNED. GAS MILEAGE IS GREAT. HANDLES WELL. WHAT MORE COULD YOU WANT.
    Ecoqui, Imperial Beach, CA, February 04, 2010 19:30
    I have a 2007 Toyota & since I bought it the check engine light is on. Toyota dealer can't fix it yet even after replaced the sensor. They claimed is a computer glich. After all the recalls should I be worry?
    MomCez, Bettendorf, IA, January 28, 2010 08:56
    I bought Sandy in Florida at 96,000 miles. She now has 190,000 and starts every day in the cold Midwest winters. I have only had minor repairs for this wonderful car and haven't had car payments since the year of 2000. The only thing I do not like about this year of car is that the door handles are plastic and break easily. I have had them replaced twice but that still isn't bad for the miles I have put on her.
    mark2-1, Philadelphia, PA, December 30, 2009 22:07
    My car is ok so far its just that every time i turn around i have to put money into this car
    mikeetown, Seattle, WA, November 10, 2009 13:29
    from canada british columbia. I owned the corolla gts with the high output 4-AGE. It is quit the car. It is faster than you think and has a great sound. Also, maintanance is rather easy but parts are not very readily availible in the performance area. It is a freaking awesome car. Everyone i let drive it also commented on how smooth and soild the car felt with 240,000 km on it.
    sydney420, Lockport, NY, September 01, 2009 10:51
    I currently have a 2006 Corolla Xe and have experience the following problems:Leaky water pump, gaskets, and brakes that needed to be replaced. I thought this was unusual in that I am the only person to drive this car and the percentage is rural driving.
    charliesdove, Altha, FL, August 02, 2009 14:59
    I have a 2008 Toyota Corolla CE. This is my 5th Corolla. I have some problems with this one. When you apply the brakes they make a loud clunking noise. The dealer service dept said they were fine. I have to use fuel injector cleaner in this one, never did before. It gets real sluggish sometimes and gas mileage drops. I had a side impact with another vehicle and after repairs were made i found my rear window completely loose and rattling. Repair shop said it wasn't anything he did, it must be a factory defect. Dealer where i purchased the vehicle said it probably wasn't a defect and he would gladly have it repaired for me. (He's a great guy and like i said this is my 5th car purchased from him). I don't feel he should foot the bill for the window so i'm paying for it myself. Other than this I love my Toyota's.
  • 1997 Toyota Corolla
    Lore, Roseville, CA, July 24, 2009 20:50
    I purchased my 1.8L Corolla CE new in 1997. Keep up regular maintenance and have spent a total of about $700 in repairs to minor systems and hoses. Mileage: 280,000. What a dream car this has been. I've only used Chevron Gasoline except for a couple of emergencies. Thank you Toyota and Chevron!!!!! Brakes can be a little noisy. Headlights cloud up/yellow with age. Emissions at this mileage run a little high, but pass smog easily with a new air filter and a couple of tanks of Techron fuel system plus cleaner. Almost everything in my Corolla is original including my transmission and shocks. I LOVE THIS CAR. I will drive it till it decides it's had enough of me and quits. Oh yes, and I haven't had a car payment in years.
    caddyman, Jefferson, GA, June 23, 2009 11:51
    Bought mine used with 10k on it. I like the gas mileage 38-41mpg hwy 34-35mpg city (with 5-speed manual) depending on how agressively I drive. I also like the ride & handling. What I don't lik e is the noise level on the highway especially on coarse road surfaces. It gets so loud you can't hear the radio or passengers talk unless you shout. The standard radio sound system is lousy & the CD player sometimes skips when I hit a bump \
    Toy-ota, Sault Sainte Marie, MI, June 09, 2009 11:42
    Loved this as my first car! I bought it in 2006 already 12 years old and nothing really major needed to be done. She's been a great car, and at 225,000kms I am confident she'll run for a further 100,000! Great on gas, comfort and personality. Not the greatest on power but that's what you get when you buy a 1.8L from 1994. Nowadays the 1.8 carries 130-150 horsepower!
    Bantu, Cincinnati, OH, May 14, 2009 18:58
    I am happy with mine. Drives with no noises, no problems. She is a good little baby Sometimes i would have liked better were: 1) Better sound insulation from road noise 2) More powerful AC I have about 120k miles on mine and hope to put another 50k without anything major
    josephT, Dripping Springs, TX, May 11, 2009 11:32
    Great car! This one has saved me a ton of money over the years. Still gets around 34 mpg and very few problems. 123,000 miles and still going strong. I do have to clean the mass air flow sensor every 30K now, but that is very easy to do. I am just now replacing my struts (recomended every 60K) as they have seen their day. Overall great vehicle.
    bunk, Port Saint Lucie, FL, April 27, 2009 14:58
    Love this car. Few repairs. Do regular maintenance. Would buy another Corolla no problem..
    liberafa, North Billerica, MA, April 26, 2009 19:08
    My 1998 Toyota Corolla is the best car I've ever owned. In 11 years I've had rear shocks and front stabilizer connectors replaced plus an Oxygen sensor and recently a starter. Brake pads last 80k while rear shoes go 115k or more. I change oil and filter at 3.5-5k which depends on having a nice enough day to do it. The exhaust system is original as is most everything else. I am still getting 40 mpg on my 100 mile a day highway commutes. No electrical problems and most bulbs are still originals! I hope the new Corollas are as good.
    AMK1945, San Antonio, TX, April 16, 2009 08:29
    We purchased our 1996 Corolla in 1997, with 15K miles. The auto now has 185K miles. We ahave done the routine maintenance, including the oil change every 3k miles. No major problems have ever happened to this auto. No service has ever been done at a Toyota dealer, they tend to "find unnecessary problems" that need to be immediately addressed. We are going to purchase a brand new 2009 Coralla this weekend and give our old car to a charity, rather than trade it in. Our mechanic said our Coralla is good for manyt more miles- just "take care of it".
    cody6989, Clarksville, IN, March 22, 2009 00:45
    I've had my car for 7 years now. I've had nothing but problems with it since i got it. I just recenttly had to replace the motor which was big mistake. Get this car for a first car for kid nothing else
    Cloud chaser, Saint Paul, MN, January 30, 2009 11:18
    I've had my 1992 for about 8 years and in that time i've had little problems with it. As far as "problems" go, i have replaced the CV boots a couple of times and the wiring for the spark plugs otherwise this has been a great car. It has 179, 000 miles on it, and has been driven across 3 statelines totaling over 4000 miles!!
    rolla, Salt Lake City, UT, January 26, 2009 18:11
    Great car maybe the best engine (timing chain) best automatic tranny ive owned. Bad things suspension is weak on all toyotas. Change out your control arms if vehicle wanders! Replace your rotors and pads aftermarket best way to go $70 for everything lol. Stay away from dealers, aftermarket parts fine. There is no better used car availble, 40mpg. I know a guy with 380k on matrix same car corolla still going strong! p0420 code comes on all these toyotas dont panic.
    kptjohn, Mount Carmel, TN, January 17, 2009 10:03
    Great car so far.
    goateeneal, Long Beach, CA, December 11, 2008 23:30
    If you take care of your Corolla with regular maintenance, you'll be rewarded with YEARS and YEARS of excellent, reliable service. Mine starts right off in cold or hot weather and the engine is still running strong well after 100,000 miles!
    Ladybug Driver, San Francisco, CA, December 10, 2008 09:41
    While the Toyota Corolla may be good on the gas mileage front, this car is not fun to drive. Our family recently rented this car (marketed as a 'mid size' by Hertz) for a week - boy, was it uncomfortable to drive. There is no lumbar support in the seats and no height adjustment, the engine has no pickup -- and I felt unsafe the whole time, the interior is 'plastic-ey' -- it's really a tin can on wheels. I'm sure the repair and maintenance is easy as it's a Toyota - you probably won't see this car in the repair shop. I wouldn't buy it for a family, it doesn't feel safe for the kids.
    Guezzie, Austin, TX, October 19, 2008 09:26
    My Corolla has stayed running fairly well, considering that I do the minimum required maintenance (and perhaps not even that, really). The interior trim has started to warp and come apart, and my 3rd brake light shorted out (started smoking) a few years back. Aside from that, a great little car!
    davidt, La Mesa, CA, October 02, 2008 16:14
    Bought brand new, now at 140,000 mi. I have had to replace the right rear hub assembly, and I need new struts all around now, and my a/c compressor just went out. The glove box and one of the center console doors wont stay closed anymore. The little coin holder to the left of the steering wheel fell off after a year. I guess I should be thankful. My previous car, a 99 Ford Escort, blew a piston at 125,000 mi. I just don't have good luck with cars.
    Naru, State College, PA, September 25, 2008 09:12
    Been driving for over 2 yrs. No problems absolutely except maybe engine oil issue - seems to consume more than normal. No other issues other than that. Great mileage, low maintenance.
    rsebastian, San Jose, CA, August 29, 2008 11:41
    Its no wonder that this is one of the best selling cars of all time worldwide. The engine is bulletproof, the car is light and tossable, and the styling is pretty boring. The only problems I've had so far are the peeling interior cloth door trim and faded paint surrounding the hood. Besides that, I can't complain.
    Kramer, Santa Clara, CA, August 22, 2008 12:48
    Great gas mileage. 40 mpg highway. 190,000 miles. Standard tune-ups and oil changes. A/C compressor went out; front brake lines replaced; oil leak around valve cover and other seals but otherwise no major issues.
    Richard Li, Emeryville, CA, August 20, 2008 11:38
    This is a great car with excellent gas mileage. I have about 71k miles on my corolla and I have not had anything problems with it.